Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 25

I thought maybe Ace would have come around the next couple days, but he didn’t. He wasn’t at school on Monday either. I spent my lunch hour walking around the school, thinking maybe he had come to school late. I never found him.

He didn’t appear at school the next day either; or the day after that; or the whole week for that matter. I was getting anxious- what if something had happened? Why haven’t I seen him? Had he moved? Was he… hurt? In the hospital?

It was almost two weeks after the incident when I finally saw Ace again.

It was Sunday evening and it was getting late. It was raining outside, and the November weather was starting to get cold. The wind was strong and the air was chilly to begin with. The rain made it feel like you were swimming gin the middle of the ocean.

It was quiet except for the rain falling on the window. My parents and I were all reading like we usually did at night. My father had left to go the washroom and to find a snack in the kitchen cupboard when there was a knock at the door.

“Who could that be at this time of night,” my mother asked, bringing her shawl in close. There were strange people walking around this town at this time of night- it could have been anyone.

“I’ll get it,” I said, and got up, walking towards the door. I peered through the glass to see a dark figure standing on our doorstep. I unlocked the door and opened it a sliver. I couldn’t tell who it was until they looked up and I saw a familiar pale complexion.