Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 3

"Sorry to hear about your friend." He said, after a long period of silence.

"I don't need your pity," I spat, trying to get rid of him.

He stopped dead in his tracks and looked at me in a sort of disbelief. "Good, cause I don't want yours! You know, you seem pretty crude for a girl," he stated as if he were aiming for an insult.

"Yea, so what if I am, it shouldn't be any of your business anyways," I mumbled.

He sighed. It seemed as if he was getting annoyed with me before he asked, "So... Jade, you have any modern day problems in your life," in a way that implied that he was doing it just to irritate me.

I groaned and turned to face him, not realizing I pushed him against the tree in the process. My eyes filled with fury, my face with frustration as I screamed, "Look- can you just go away? I'm fine... I don't need a counsellor, or a friend, or whatever you're looking for! So why don't you just buzz off, okay... Ace- If that really is your real name."

His shocked eyes travelled from my angry face to my bare arm, where my sleeve had rode up to reveal the fresh scars. I let him go awkwardly and pulled it back down before turning to walk away in a fit.

Just to show me that he had just as much power as me, he spun me around, and pushed me harshly into the tree bark where he had been a few seconds ago. He glared at me, making sure that I acknowleged his prescence and he slid down my sleeve to reveal the fresh scars. I glared at him with fury and shock before he explained, "I don't think this means you're fine." Although he didn't physically smirk, I could sense the vibe that that's what he was aiming for.

"Are you stalking me or something, go away," I screamed, pushing him away from me and scrambling to get away from the scene before he grabbed my hand and pulled me back towards him.

"Listen, I'm sorry, " he explained. "It was an accident. I'm not going to say anything. I just want to talk to you. I'm not here to hurt you, or do anything else. Do I seriously look like someone who goes around mugging people in the middle of the night?" He smiled to imply the idea that he was trying to be more humorous, and a tad bit more friendly.

"Start over," he asked pleadingly.

I looked at him cautiously as he put out his hand before saying, "Fine."

He pulled down his hood and smiled, "I'm Ace."

"Jayde... Jayden Mitchells," I replied as I tried my best to smile back before shrivelling away from him once more.

"So Jayde... What interests you," he asked curiously, shoving in hands deep in his pockets in a casual manner. His voice was somewhat more timid and for the first time that night, the moonlight reflected his ice colored eyes.

I observed them carefully, forgetting the question I had been asked myself before asking, "Are you wearing contacts?" It seemed like a stupid first thing to say, but whatever- they were cool.

"No... I don't need help with my vision, I can see perfectly, why else would I wander aimlessly around at night?" He smiled, and laughed lightly, showing his slightly more social side.

I smiled and sniffled again before slightly blushing and looking away to break the awkward stare. "Just wondering... you have cool eyes."

"Thanks, so do you. Are you wearing contacts?"

I smirked. "Yea, but their not color contacts... and my eyes are brown... they're not that cool."

He nodded before looking back at me so that his eyes trwinkled grandly in the night. "I like brown eyes. Blue eyes are overrated."

I turned red and turned my face to hide it before saying, "Thanks."