Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 32

I saw the blood come out of the guy's nose before I saw Ace standing behind him. "Leave her alone! Go wash yourself up and learn some manners and maybe you won't have to force chicks to like you!"

Ace grabbed my hand and pulled me up from under the guy and lead me through the crowded room towards the door.

I was shaking, and my throat was starting to burn. "I'm sorry," I stated.

He stopped. "Sorry for what?"

"Ruining your party."

"Don't be sorry. It was a shitty party anyways- I got what I went there for. You know what- don't let those guys bother you; they're assholes!"

I looked at the ground as he walked home. Ace's arms was around my shoulder, holding me close to him; as if he were protecting me.

"Are you okay," he asked after a while.

I nodded.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Look at me," he ordered and stopped.

I shook my head and looked at the ground.

"See- you're not okay. Uh... geeze. I'm sorry- I shouldn't have left you alone. I shouldn't have even dragged you along."

I didn't answer. He hugged me and I felt warm; protected from the crisp cold wind. Until we walked back to my house and he slowly and quietly slipped open the bedroom window, climbing in so he could help pull me up from the other side.

I walked into the bathroom and changed into the pyjama's I'd had on earlier. Ace was standing on the other side of the door when I got out. He just stood there quietly.

"Are you going to bed," I asked and sat on my bed.

He shook his head, "I'm not tired."

"Are you going to come sit down then?"

"I dunno- in a bit. I just... I'll be right back," he said and walked into the bathroom.

He walked out five or ten minutes later and stood there again, until he looked like he would fall over and finally sat down.

"I'm sorry today turned out so bad," I remarked.

"I'm sorry for a lot of things," he replied quietly, almost as if he were talking to himself.

It was silent after that. We didn't speak to eachother; we just sat quietly in the dark, listening to the other person's breathing. I know for a fact that I fell asleep before him because it was his breathing that lulled me to sleep in the first place; although it did take me a longtime to settle down to the point of being tired again...