Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 33

"Uh... kids; it's time to get up," my parents were standing over my bed, my mother with her arms crossed.

I shook Ace, who was sleeping on an angle at the foot of the bed. "Hey, get up."

He groaned and touched his head, then buried his head in his hands. "Ow..."

"You'd better get up, Ace," I suggested and flipped my legs over the bed and walked down the hallway into the kitchen, leaving Ace to wake up a bit. My mother followed close behind me- she had something on her mind.

"Jayde, what was that boy doing in your room?"

I rolled my eyes. "Sleeping."

"Don't get sarcastic with me. This had better be a phase. What has happened to you? You know... you're a little girl, interests in boys... in that way; aren't supposed to develope until you're an adult," she remarked worriedly.

"Mom, jesus... I'm not a little kid. We were talking okay. That's it. He couldn't sleep. I know I wouldn't be able to either if I went through the things that he went through. Get your sick thoughts out of our head. You should be happy; I have a friend again! Not making up reasons why they aren't good enough."

"You know there are things about that boy that I don't think you've realized. He isn't as innocent as he looks."

"What are you talking about?"

Just as she went to say it, Ace walked in with my father grabbing his shoulder. He was still touching his head, rubbing his hand back and forth. "Hey, uh... do you guys have any coffee," he asked.

"Yea, on the counter," my mom said with a smile.

"Thanks."

My father kept looking at the both of us, back and forth; as if we had done something wrong. My mother walked me into my room.

"He lied about something to your father."

"Oh yea? Like what," I asked and crossed my arms.

She grabbed his bag and shuffled through it, pulling out a small plastic bag of white powder.

"What's that," I asked, making it seem as if I were dumbfounded. I knew what it was.

"Nothing you should know about." You can tell me- I'm not stupid.

"Why were you going through his bag in the first place?"

"Oh no- that's not the worst. Look at this."

She reached through his bag and pulled out a razorblade; like the ones they used in work-knives. I looked the other way- I was familiar with that. "That boy is nothing but trouble- he needs help. If I catch something else of this sort in my house again, I'll call the cops."

"Mom..."

"I'm serious, Jayden." She threw them both back in the back carelessly and walked out, leaving me alone. I stood, dumbfounded with my jaw dropped. I sat on my bed and put my head in my hands. What was I to do? I couldn't just say 'Oh yea, my mom found your drugs. If you come here screwed up again she's going to have you arrested'.