Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 35

It was after ten thirty that night when the phone wrang. "Jayden, it's for you," my mom called from the doorway and pointed to the phone with a scowl. It was too late for phonecalls...

I picked up the phone and said," Hello," before the reciever even came to my ear.

"Hi," Ace replied.

"Hey," I siad with a smile. "Where are you?"

"Uh- I dunno... some home down on Bay street. I don't know what it's called. Something about troubled teens. You should see the shitloads that are here. I already got in three fights."

"You better watch your ass or next time you check it, it's going to be laying in a morgue," I remarked.

"Lucky me."

"Shut up. Well... what else is there? Are they feeding you properly? Do you have your own room?"

"Oh yea- everything's just peachy. First, they took me back to my dad's house and started conversing with him like there was no problem. He was glad to get rid of me. He was fucking happy. He was just like, 'Ya, sure. Take him away', while I sat in the corner packing the small things I had like a coward. And then, after that- they took my fucking bag away. And they have me on lockdown for the next forty two hours in this small little bedroom with nothing but a bed, a dresser and a bathroom. They went through all my stuff and took away all the things they thought were 'inapropriate'. And now they hame going through some sort of rehab program. They have this tall muscular man coming in here to give me a tray of food when it's time to eat. What else? There's a surveilence camera in the corner of this room pointed at me right now!"

"Well... are you aloud to have visiters?"

"Yea... well, I think so. Come anyways. I can't stand it here. I... I don't know what to do. I can't think straight. Is all of this neccesary? It seriously doesn't seem like it. I feel funny. I'm not hungry, or tired, I... just want to sleep though. Ever had that feeling?"

"No; I don't think so. It's probably just withdrawl or something. When was the last time you... took... stuf?"

It took a while before he answered. He started by taking a heavy breath and exhaling it. "I dunno- last night I think. I just... I wanna go home."

"You don't have a home, Ace," I stated sympathetically.

"You're fucking right- what the hell's the matter with me. I'm gonna go jump of a bridge or something... I can't stand this. I'm pathetic. I just... don't want to be here."

"It's going to get better," I said. "I promise. In a couple years, you'll look back, and-"

"And laugh," he interrupted.

"No- not laugh. But it will all come together. Everything will get better. Just do what the people tell you to do. Try to understand what people are trying to say to you... and for now, try to stay clear of those other kids. I'll come see you tomorrow morning."

"Promise?"

"Yea... yes Ace, I promise," I said with a smile.

"Okay... bye then. I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he whispered.

"Yup." And as I went to hang up, I heard him yell 'hey'.

"Yea," I asked, bringing the reciever back to my ear.

"Am I going to be okay?"

"Yea," I smiled. "You're going to be fine. Now... just try and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay... bye."

"Bye."

My mom appeared around the corner with her arms crossed as I heald out the pone to her as she took it in her hands; she had been listening in. She was frowning and peering down at me as if I were unclean.

"He's scared- he wasn't adjusted yet. I'm going to go see him tomorrow morning," I remarked. Not like she would care...

"Where is he," she asked, trying to make it seem as if she weren't interested.

"In that home up on Bay street."

"Good; they'll take care of him there."

"I hope so," I remarked with a sigh.

"You should get some sleep," she said apathetically and shut off the light on the way out. Everything was so awkward now. My parents were avoiding me... they were avoiding problems. Just like they avoided emotions; like when David died. And now they were losing their child ans they couldneven notice.