Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 38

"You can see him now," a woman who was standing infront of me announced. I had been in a daze. At first; I thought she had been a dream. I was just imagining her there. But then I realized she had actually said that, and I nervously got up and walked into the room, while my parents stayed in the waiting room.

His face was the same colour as the sheets over him and large, layered gauze were wrapped around both arms. My throat suddenly began to sting again and I choked. "Why," I asked, parcially to myself.

"I'm a screw- up," he unexpectadly anwered. "I don't deserve this. There are better people out there. I'm sick of knowing I'm a bad person."

"You're not a bad person," I sobbed, looking down at him. "If it weren't for you... I would be where you are right now. You helped me... so much. You can't leave. I need you here."

"I guess I had a purpose then."

"You don't understand... I can't lose you. I can't lose another friend."

He smiled," You see; that's what I don't get about you. Your friend never left you. He's still here with you; you just need to realize it."

I cried, kneeling over the side of the bed, holding on to his hand.

After an awkward silence of nothing but me tears and his breathing, he said, "They know I'll just go back and do it again. I suspect they'll lock my up in the nut-house now."

I shook my head. "No... now they'll put a surveilence camera in your bathroom."

He smiled, laughed, then coughed.

"Can you do me a favor," he asked, and I saw his eyes open for a moment.

I nodded, "Anything."

He coughed again before he answered, "I want you to tell that social worker from yesterday to tell my dad where I am. I want him to know what he's done to me. I don't want to see him; I don't want him here. I just want him to know that this is because of him... he ruined me."

"Ace..."

"Please."

I nodded and felt his grip tighten on my hand. "What's wrong, " I asked.

He shook his head, "Nothing. I'm just tired."

"Then go to sleep."

"You'll leave."

I shook my head, "No I won't. I promise, I'll stay right here until you wake up again."

He smiled, "Thanks. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad sticking around, if you were here and all. Life could turn out nice. Who knows..."

I smiled and sat there and watched as he took a few breaths, blinked a few times and smiled. It didn't take him long to fall asleep. I wasn't sure if it was because of the drugs they had him on... or Maybe the loss of blood. It wasn't at all like the times I had seen him before where it took a few hours to fall asleep. He looked like a child. He looked beautiful...