Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 44

Sprawled across the grass near the shore, we laid quietly on our stomachs and watched every cloud pass by slowly. I wondered what was past the clouds. Some would say space; but I know some who would say heaven.

We had already eatten our second ice cream cones of the day and now just lazily sat, glad to be out in the sun.

"I'll be right back," Ace said, getting up from the ground.

"Where are you going," I asked worriedly."

"Just to the bathroom, I'll be right back; I promise."

"Okay- hurry up, I'm supposed to be watching you. Don't do anything stupid."

He smiled, revealing a hint of charm and assured me he would be as quick as possible.

As the minutes began to pass, I shifted my glances towards the door, where eventually, Ace walked out and stepped onto the platform.

A strange boy in a dark coat walked up to him, offering him something. Ace shook his head and began walking away when the man grabbed him by the arm. I stood up, alarmed for a second when Ace pulled his arm away quickly and the guy made a gesture, proving he wasn't happy with the situation as Ace walked across the grass.

"What was that about," I asked.

"Nothing," he assured me. "Just some asshole trying to sell his drugs."

I shifted my eyebrow and he unexpectadly laughed.

"I turned him down. Be happy."

I smiled and turned to the ground before looking at him again. He was so tall.

"Common," he said, grabbing my hand. "Let's go somewhere else." He led me down the beach to an area I had never been to before with a large view of the lake; heavily shaded by tall green trees. He stood there, holding my hand, looking out at the water as it's waves made a slow rythm as they hit the shore.