Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 45

"I... I've never been here before," I stated.

He smiled. "Neither have most people. But it's quiet; almost like a cemetery. Nobody's going to bother you here."

"Yea."

His eyes were light compared to the dark trees around us as they reflected all the light that captured them. They were filled with something I had neer seen before; and I liked it. I was used ot them being empty and sad. Things were beginningto get better now, I thought.

"I... I want to do something," Ace stated quietly.

"Then do it," I said.

"But I don't know if its going to be okay," he replied.

"Well... what is it?"

He took a heavy breath and looked at the ground as everything fell silent- almost as if time had stopped. "This."

My heart began beating faster and faster and I was almost startled as he leaned in closer to me; closer than I was used to. Then, I felt soft, pale lips touch the corner of my lips politely... and I blushed.

I looked up; shocked.

"I... I'm sorry." He was turning pink himself, as he bashfully looked down at his shoes.

"Don't be sorry. Common, we'd better go. You need to be back by seven," I said, trying to act casual. My mother would flip if she were here...

He nodded, holding my hand as we walked back down the beach to the bus stop as we waited for the bus.

"We can't tell anyone," I stated. "It has to be our little secret."

"Who is there to tell," he asked.

I smiled brightly. "I suppose you're right."

It wasn't long before the bus pulled up infront of us and we sat in a seat near the back, leaning on eachother quietly; having the urge to all asleep, but knowing we couldn't because we would miss our stop.

Today was good day; a high of the roller coaster. I hoped most days would be like this. But I knew that probably wouldn't happen... at least not yet. But things were perfect enough; perfect for the current situation. It's too bad good things don't last forever...