Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 46

I had school the next day, and I still had work to catch up on from the week before, mising all that school and all. So I had to stay in a lunch to finish up the rest of it, and to get a head start on the homework for tonight; I was going to see Ace after school.

The guidance couselor at our school decided to take Ace out of school for the rest of the semester, but of course he had to write a final essay for each of his classes. He figured he didn't want to put too much stress on him with what was going on and everything; he wanted him to get settled in.

Of course; that meant hell for me. Lunch was going to go back to the way it was if I didn't stay in everyday. Ashley strangely began talking to be between classes, as if we had been best friends our whole lives. She kept saying how she wanted to get together, and I should meet some of her other friends. I knew it was out of pity and politely told her to just leave me alone.

At the end of the day, during the last minute of class, I stared at the clock, watching the hand get closer and closer to my release. As it came into a five second range, I grabbed my things and stood up, throwing my chair on my desk and walking out as a loud ring filled the halls.

I hurried down the street and walked in the door of the home Ace was staying at. The secretary looked up and smiled; she knew me by face now and got up and followed me down the hall.

"Maybe you can get him out of bed," she stated, openning the door to let me enter.

It was quiet. Like when you wake up in the morning and the sun is shining through the closed blinds and it almost seems as if morning sunlight has an undescribable smell. I smirked, walking up to the bed ans lightly shaking Ace by the shoulders.

"Go away," Ace mumbled, buried under a mountain of blankets and pillows.

"Have you been sleeping all day?"

"Yea."

"It's so hot in here, how can you curl up under all those blankets," I asked.

"I'm fucking cold. And I don't feel good. I want a fucking asirin. You think they would give me one? No. My head is going to explode."

"Did you tell them that?"

"Yea," he whined.

"Well, maybe if you get up, put on some layers and come outside you'll feel better. It's getting warm out there."

"I don't feel like it today."

"Well; do you want me to leave," I asked, lightly touching his shoulder.

"No; you can stay. I just... I don't want to go out anywhere; not today."

"Alright."

I pulled down the blanket to reveal his face face, and his dark hair in a tangle on one side of his head. I laughed, causing him to smile before it faded away. I ran my fingers through his hair, trying to untangle it before he grew dreadlocks.

"You're hot," I stated.

"Thanks," he smirked.

"No; not that way. I mean you feel hot."

"Oh. You feel cold."

"Well," I started. "Do you want something? I can get you something to eat or drink or... whatever."

"No. Just... just sit. You're good company; and I'm misery. I love good company," he smiled, half giggling.