Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 47

It must have been hours of just laying on my back across the bed with him. Just talking. About ourselves. About school. About life. And theories and people and feelings and emotions...

It was dark before I knew it and I looked across the bed at the alarm clock. It was supper-time. I would be in trouble if I didn't get home soon.

"I need to go home for supper," I stated.

"No," he whined. "Stay here."

"I can't, I'll get in trouble."

"Well... call. You can eat here."

"Ace. I have to go home. My parents are going to start worrying. I'll come back tomorrow. I'll bring something for us to do; I promise."

He knew by now that my promises meant a lot. Promised weren't created to be broken; almost like hearts. He just smiled and nodded. "Alright."

I hugged him and headed off for the door, saying 'goodnight', before I left.

It didn't take as long as I thought it would to get home, and I walked in the door around the same time supper was being put on the table. It was the same routine as every night. We sat as a family and answerred the same questions about our day. It was like the families you see on television.

I went to bed after supper. I did my homework and brushed my teeth and slid into my flannel pyjamas before I crawled into bed and almost instantly fell asleep.