Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 5

It was Monday, so I groaned as I heard the annoying 'beep' of the alarm clock.

"Piss off!" I yelled loudly before bringing my hand down on it harshly to make it silent. Dragging myself out of bed, I cursed and got enough sense to walk into the bathroom to take a shower. The hot water was relaxing, and almost made me fall asleep again before it began to run out, and the water began to get very cold, making me hurry to finish it. I quickly got dressed and did my makeup. My hair dryer broke as I went to blowdry it, only making me slightly more irritated as I stormed dow nthe hall into the kitchen with soaking wet hair to the kitche ntable where my breakfast was laid out for me.

I could tell my mother was eyeing my from the sink where she was doing the dishes. "Where did you go last night?" she asked worriedly.

"I told you," I lied, giving an attitude revealing my current mood.

She turned around to face me, placing her hand on her hip as she leaned against the counter. "I phoned Ashley's house, Jayden you weren't there; you can't keep worrying me like that!"

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"Jayden, where were you?" she repeated.

"I was... visiting someone." I stated, thinking I might get away with it for a second.

She groaned, throwing her dish towel on the counter, "You were at the cemetery again, weren't you?"

I dropped the spoon and put my hand on my head. "Mom-"

"Jayden, I told you not to go there anymore! It's not good to be there! Why can't you listen?" She sighed and looked I the ceiling.

"Mom, they ruined it..." I pulled the broken pieces out of my pocket.

"Jayden Marie Mitchells, give me those!" She held out her hand furiously and I carefully dropped them in it. She seemed so... disappointed. I only did what anyone else would have done. I watched her put them in a small bowl then pick up the phone and press talk. She paused before dialing when she saw me staring at her.

"Get off to school now, you're going to be late," she orderred.

I grabbed my backpack from the front door and hurried out, only to see the bus pass by me and down the street.

"I guess I'm walking." I mumbled to myself and started down towards my school. As buses and cars passed, I heard numerous insults being spat out the windows. I put on my headphones, cranked the music louder and pulled up my hood.

***

I rushed through the hallway to my locker, squishing through nerds and jet set kids, teachers and supervisors. I stopped and cautiously took off my headphones when I got near the office, thinking maybe the principal would see them... and confiscate them... again. After I was sure the coast was clear, I continued on my way and felt a hard tug on my bag.

"What's in here, I wonder?" I turned around to face a jock, smirking while continuing to tug on it.

"Nothing you would like, you blockhead." I spat using my extreme levels of wit and watched as he cracked his neck, and made a fist.

I raised an eyebrow. "What are you going to do, punch me?" I asked, not showing a millimeter of fear towards him, I could outsmart him- Anyday.

He pushed me hard against the lockers and his friends chuckled. "Maybe," he hissed.

"No you won't," I corrected, smirking the whole time. This was the part of me my mother never knew- I was never in trouble because I never went looking for it. It just managed to find me- and I was able to outwit it. I continued, "What would happen if the school phoned your mommy and told her you were suspended for bullying." I pouted my bottom lip and batted my lashed, trying to look innocent, enjoying the whole bit.

He then looked around, and the bell went off, announcing first period. Great this jerk was going to make me late for class. He put his face only inches from mine. "Better watch it, punk, I'll get you next time." and he let me go and knocked all my books out of my bag before continuing on his way.

"Listerene," I called after him in a giggle as he turned back with a scowl before continuing on his way. I frowned and returned to the floor to pick up all my books scattered across the hallway as people did nothing but laugh as they passed by, and if they were rude enough, stomp on a few things...