Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 51

In seconds, the smile disapeared and he frowned again with dispair.

"Ace, what's wrong?"

"I... don't remember when we met," he stated.

"What do you mean," I asked, dumbfoundedly.

He straightened up his face miserably. "I was high, Jayde. I don't remermber shit about that night, except walking you home."

"So..."

"So that means I didn't know what I was doing or saying or anything. I could have done something stupid. I'm a loser. I don't know why you havn't given up on me yet," he remarked.

I was somewhat hurt by what he had said, but I had chosen not to let it bother me. "I already told you why."

"It's all just... I don't know; I guess it's just all kind of hard to believe. It feels kind of weird to consume too much change at one time."

The other kids must have had to go back to their rooms after supper, because it was quiet except for distant random bangs; kids getting into fights. The room was dark- the sun had set almost half an hour ago.

"Yea," I started. "I guess you're right. But at least it's a good change; you're helping yourself."

"I havn't done anything. Other people are the ones doing all the work. I just sit around and yell at everyone."

"No," I argued. "You do what you're supposed to."

"What's that?"

"Dealing with what's going on."

"Whatever," he mumbled.