Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 57

School is almost out, so it's getting kind of hot outside right now, which is why I find it funny that Ace is wearing a hoodie outside. It's Saturday, and Angel and him both signed themselves out so we could spend the day doing fun stuff; we're going to the movies later.

We were back at the harbour; it was like our new hang out or something. We were sitting in the shade, under the evergreen trees, laughing at a joke Angel had recently told as we ate ice cream.

"How dirty do you think that water is," Ace asked randomly after a while of silent, looking down at the lake.

"Not as dirty as you," Angel remarked with a laugh.

"Shut up; or I'll push you in it," Ace snapped back with a smirk.

"Guys, it's not that dirty," I remarked. "There's a bunch of people swimming in it down the beach, so..."

"Oh- you're so smart," Ace remarked. "Prove it." He poked Angel.

"Only if you come too."

Ace shook his head and looked down at the water, discusted.

"Angel? Common, come swimming!"

He imediately smirked and whipped off his shirt, revealling his ribs before his jean shorts, so he was standing in his boxers. It didn't bother me.

"Common eskimo boy," Angel teased, playfully tugging on Ace's sweater before pushing him over, in the grass. "You afraid of a little water? It isn't going to eat you," he laughed.

"I'd rather not," Ace remarked.

"Common, please," I begged.

He looked around nervously, before replying, "Fine... just- wait. You guys go in first, I'll be there in a while.

I really didn't understand why he had said that, but I shrugged it off, and walked towards the shore with Angel, cautiously stepphing into the cold water and getting goosebumbs as I went further in.

Angel didn't care. He ran past in, splashing me as he passed me and plunged into the water. After that, I got annoyed and jumped in after him, splashing water in his face rapidly before Ace crept up behind us and stood there with his arms wrapped around with torso as he shiverred.

"Ace, are you alright," I asked, observing his ghostly pale chest...

"I'm c-c-cold," he remarked.

"No wonderm" Angel remarked. "Look at you. What are you; a rock? Move around, get wet!" He started splashing Ace, who asked him to stop numerous times before he decided to splash him back. Then Angel jumped on him, pushing him under the water.

I just watched and laughed quietly to myself until a panick state took over me a minute later when I realized they were fighting.

"Guys," I screamed, pulling them apart and pushing them both off in opposite directions and grabbing Ace's arm with one hand.

"Not funny man," Ace screamed in distress to Angel; who looked rather frightened.

"What the hell is your problem? It wasa game; we were joking around," Angel replied.

"You know what? Screw it; I'm leaving," Ace said and whipped his arm away from me and walking back to shore.

"Ace; come back! What the hell, where are you going," I called.

He didn't answer.

"What the hell did you do," I turned to Angel, who only shrugged.

"I dunno, we were just playing around, and I pushed him in the water and he got all mad at me... then we just started fighting. I seriously don't know."

"Well," I stated. "We'd better go after him." And we started walking towards shore...