Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 65

I was sitting on the edge of the bed; as if the chair next to me wasn't close enough. There was a small bandage covering the 2 stitches on her forhead and she was almost as pale as I was. I could hear her breathing as if it were amplified slightly. But it was parcially soothing to hear it.

I knew it would happen one day: the doctor had seen her arm. And then he told her parents- they were talking about it in the hall right now. I really didn't want to know what they were saying.

She was sleeping. As if she were sleeping at home and didn't have a care in the world; perhaps it was better that way. It must have been.

The minute she woke up, she sat up and started sobbing in my shirt. I just hugged her- not knowing what to say or do. As if I would accidentally say the wrong thing. I just tried to comfort her, using anything but words as I ran my fingers through her hair. But then I though- maybe touching her was too much.

"I'm sorry," I said. I really didn't know what had set that off.

"Don't be sorry- it's not your fault. I guess these things just happen, right?"

"Not really. You came looking for me- I shouldn't have run off."

A small tear rolled down her cheek and I lightly brushed it away. "I'm so weak," she stated.

"No you're not- you're the bravest person I've ever met."

Just then, both her parents look in, and a twinkle formed in their eyes as they looked down at their little girl. As her mother went to speak, Jayde remarked, "Please; just don't say anything."