Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 69

He looked up. The pain in his crystal coloured eyes filled me with the deepest emotion I had ever felt. His eyes had locked with mine. "Just know that I'm sorry. Whether or not this was intentional, I need you to know that I really am sorry that this happened to you. If I didn't run off, this wouldn't have happened to you. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Ace- don't," I interrupted. I didn't want to hear it- it wasn't true. This didn't really happen...

"No- I want you to know that even if I couldn't have stopped it by not running off, I could have stopped it by getting there a few minutes later. I was just... so far away... I couldn't figure out where you were- I could have stopped this. You would be at home right now. I could have done so much more to help you... and I... just- I screwed up; and I'm really, deeply sorry for that."

I reached out my hand and entwined my fingers in his; cold and nervously sweaty.

"It's alright,- thanks to you, I'm okay- in more than one way. This could have turned out a lot worse. I can deal with little things in life now and you helped me with that.

And I know you think you could have stopped this, but really, you couldn't have. Just take it easy- it's not your fault. Just remember everything happens for a reason."

"These things don't just happen."

I 'shh'd' him.

"I know... I just," he started.

"Would you feel better if I accepted your appology," I asked.

"I dunno- maybe."

"Then I do," I stated.

Dispite how dark the room was, I could tell he was smiling becasue his lip ring was reflecting the small amount of moonlight shining through the blinds.

"I guess that kind of helps."

"Hey; Ace?"

"Yea?"

Thanks... for being here- it means a lot to me."

I was surprised at myself- proud almost. I had just gone through this change. I had just gone through this devastating event... and I was talking about it with my best friend in the whole world- and he was making me feel so much better about the whole deal...

I loved him for it...