Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 70

I fell asleep numerous times after that, and everytime I woke up, Ace was always awake. He really did look tired, but maybe he just couldn't sleep. He looked troubled; deep in thought. Off in a distant place. It was morning; sun shining brightly through the blinds when I finally awoke to see Ace leaned over on his arm, fast asleep.

I turned my gaze across the room to where my mother sat, awake, looking at the floor. She had bags under her eyes and a tired, worn over look on her face. She looked older.
She didn't notice I was awake.

"You can go back to sleep. Or go get some coffee," I stated.

She looked up and her ocean eyes sparkled as a light smile came across her face. "It's alright."

"I'll be fine."

She shook her head and looked down at the floor before turning her gaze beside me, to the chair where Ace was silently sleeping. "How long has he been sleeping?"

"Not long- he must have just fallen asleep- he was up all night."

She nodded as she observed him as if he were a child. "He really is a nice boy." She began to shake and a single tear made a stream down her face as her eyes began to resemble puddles.

I knew what she was thinking about. "Mom... I... I'm alright. You don't need to worry. I'm not hurt. I'm fine. It's over now."

She nodded. "There are just... so many other people out there who deserve things like this so much more than nice girls like you."

"Nobody deserves things like this Mom, they just happen."

"I know."

I smiled. "Why don't you go get some coffee. It might do you some good."

She looked around and hesitated.

"Go on. Ace is here. I can wake him up if I need anything."

She nodded and walked to my bedside kissing my forehead before she left.