Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 71

I think it was an hour later, maybe a bit less, when Angel walked in with a bouguet of blue roses and a smile on his face.

"These are for you," he stated and placed them down on the end table.

"Thanks," I stated. "What are you doing here?"

"I asked Ace's case worker where he was. She said he was with your family, but probably at the hospital. So I ditched school to come here and see what the sitch is."

"Oh."

"So... what happened?"

"I'd rather not talk about it," I stated.

"Oh... alright."

It was awkwardly quiet. I was trying to find words I could change the subject with- but he found them first. "How long has he been sleeping for?"

"Not long- he's been up all night."

"Well- he shouldn't be sleeping! He should be awake!"

"No, Angel don't," I argued. "He needs sleep."

Dispite my best efforts, Angel snuck up to Ace's head, leaned in close to his ear and shouted, "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO," as loud as he could. I couldn't help but smile a little bit as Ace sat up, alarmed and looked around confused. His hair was a mess in one place and he yawned as he looked around to see Angel... and the sun.

"What time is it?"

"Just after eight."

"How long have I been sleeping for?"

"Not long?"

"Why didn't you wake me up," he asked.

"Well, you just looked so cute; all curled up in the chair. Even with that stream of drool down your chin," I smiled.

"Haha, very funny," he stated with a frown when he stated Angel. "What are you doing here?"

"I... came to visit."

"Oh."

"Listen," Ace started. "I'm sorry for freaking out on you."

"I'm sorry for doing whatever I did wrong," Angel answered with a smile.

"So... we're all good," Ace asked, looking up with his rather friendly crystal eyes.

"Better than pizza," Angel replied with a laugh.

I saw my mom smile from the corner as she observed the situation. I couldn't wait until summer... it was going to be great.