Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 72

My mother had told the school that I wouldn't be returning to complete the end of the school year. That meant no exams. I was as free as Ace.... after I was released from the hospital a week later.

My parents were more strict about where I went, and with who, and what time I came home at. They always made sure that Ace, or Angel, or heaven forbid, Amanda, were with me where ever I went. It was nive, not being alone and all. I was just thankful they still let me out of the house.

We were at a park near my house, Ace and I, swinging gently back and forth on swings. I smiled looking over at him as the warm, gentle wind blew us back and forth.

My insides felt funny- awkwardly light; as if I were at the top of a roller coaster, about to jolt down to the ground below. It was almost an alarming feeling, but beautiful at the same time. I almost loved that feeling. I almost longed for it. I almost... wanted it to go away.

"Why don't you smile?"

"What do you mean," I asked, confused- still stuck in a daze.

"I don't think I've seen you smile in a couple weeks."

A light smirk came across my face, and I timidly tried to hide it.

"There it is, I see it," Ace said excitedly, making a full-blown smile come across my face.

He started laughing. I loved his laugh. I loved everything it stood for. I began thinking about everything Ace stood for. Everything he was. Everything he used to be. Everything he was going to be. He was doing so good- getting so far. He would get somewhere someday. Wherever he wanted.