Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 76

I knew I was acting like a spoiled brat, and everyone could tell. Ace was trying to point it out to me. But I couldn’t control myself- I was upset and I didn’t want to be here.

I sat quietly, listening to everyone’ conversations. Quietly cursing to myself for being such a baby. I really didn’t need to act the way I was acting- it was unnecessary.

After a few more lines rushing in one ear and out the other, I put my napkin on my plate and said, “Excuse me,” before I got up and stormed down the hall, slamming my door.

My mom was too afraid to follow me, I knew she would be. I imagined them all sitting wide-eyed at the table, not knowing what had just happened. Or maybe they didn’t even notice.

But they must have. They had to have- because I heard a knock at the door before it cracked open and the body of my tall, slender friend slipped in before he quietly shut the door.

“Jayde- what’s wrong?”

“Why did she have to invite them,” I said from under gritted teeth. “The ydon’t want to be here. I don’t want them here- my father doesn’t want them here. My mom is the only one who wants to maintain their friendship. I don’t know what she’s gain out of it- but trying is useless.”

He held my shoulders and said softly, “I don’t think she’s trying t impress anyone. I thin kshe’s trying to be polite. She’s trying to show them that she’s still there for them, even if the glue that was holding them together isn’t. She’s just trying to be friendly. You know your mother- you know that’s all she’s trying to do.”

“It’s not fair,” I whimpered. “Why did it have to be him? Why did it have to happen to this family? To that boy. He was so nice, and friendly. He didn’t care what you looked like, or how you talked or acted. He found a way past that- deeper than that. So that he could be your friend. So that he could show you he was there.”

He pulled me into a hug, leaning my head on his shoulder, rocking side to side lightly as if he were calming a young child. Tears of frustration became to lightly drip out of my eyes. “Even if you can’t tell or see him, David is still here. It’s cliche, yes. But it’s true. He’s here. You’re not alone. His family is not alone. He never left anyone.”

“I know,” I sobbed. “It’s just so hard.”

“I know,” he said soothingly. “It’s alright... everything is going to be alright.” And he stood there, rocking me side to side as if I were a small child until I had settled myself down enough to come out for the end of supper and say goodbye to David’s family...