Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 77

As the Whites drove out of the driveway and disapeared down the street, I heard my mom sigh as she turned around and glared at me with her hands on her hips. "Jayden Marie Mitchells, I am very disapointed in you. What's the matter with you?"

I stood there dumbfoundedly. "Um... nothing," I said innocently- trying to defend myself.

"Oh I think there is. The way you acted tonight was rude and disrespectful."

Ace and my father sat on the couch, watching us as if it were some kind of suspense film.

"I'm... sorry?"

She looked around before she looked at me again. "God damn- I try and put on a nice supper for some old friends and you act like a spoiled brat with an attitude. The Whites just lost their son- they don't need you to make anything any harder."

I groaned and raised my voice, "Exactly- they just lost their son; they don't want anything to do with you!"

"Jayden... go to your room- now," she yelled, bringing her hand to her face before she turned towards the kitchen.

I stayed where I was standing stubbornly.

My father noticed it was getting ugly and said to Ace, "Common, I'll drive you back."

"It's alright, I don't have to leave yet," Ace stated. I knew he was just staying to that he could stick up for me if I needed it.

"No... I think it's time to leave," my father stated, using his 'stern look'.

Ace shrugged and sighed before he got up and followed my dad to the door where he pulled on his jacket and his shoes and slipping out the door quietly after waving with a small smile of hope.

"Jayden- go," my mother repeated from the kitchen.

"Fine," I screamed. "You don't even understand!" Then I stormed down the hall, slammed my door at full force and collapsed on my bed in silent sobs; pouting until I miserably fell asleep.

***

I was awaken later that night by the sound of quiet voices in the hall.

"There was anotehr accident tonight," I heard my father say quietly.

"Oh dear- was it big," my mother asked.

There was silence- I'm guessing a nod.

"Was anyone hurt?"

"I don't know," my father sighed. "The reckage was pretty big- there were ambulances lined down the street."

"Oh dear," my mother gasped. "Do you know what happened?"

"Ah," my father started uneasily. "Another drunk driving accident."

"Jesus- this is getting out of hand..."