Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 71 [Jayde's POV]

I woke up bright and early the next morning, when the dew was still gathered on the window in small droplets. I wasn't tired- since I had fell asleep early the night before. I took a quick shower and washed up and got ready before I walked into the kitchen to see me favourite cereal sitting on the table waiting for me with a bowl and spoon.

I didn't say anything to anyone while I ate quickly and grabbed my jacket and cell phone off the counter before I slipped on my shoes and headed out the door without explaining where I was going, or saying bye.

I would jog to McKellar- I didn't want to be anywhere near my parents. I would go to see Ace and Angel. I would probably end up waking them up because it was so early.

On the way, I caught a glimpse of a newspaper stand and the headline 'Drunk Driver Killed'. Out of interest, I walked over and looked at the large picture of the wreck on the cover- my dad was right. Something else caught my eye- one of the cars. It seemed strangely familiar and I didn't remember until an image of a physically abused friend popped into my mind.

"Oh my God," I muttered outloud and popped a dollar into the machine and opened the lever, pulling out a paper before I continued on my way. As I walked, I began to read the article.

'The driver responsible for over five incidents envolving driving while intoxicated over a period of four months, was killed late last night after a head of collision with another car. The driver was killed on impact and the two occupants were rushed to hospital in minor and serious conditions.'

I stopped reading it. I wondered if Ace knew his father had been in a car accident. I wondered how he would react. Five incidents?That couldn't be right... Ace had never told me about any accidents.

A slight suspition took over me before I continued on my way as I shook it off. I ran up the parking lot to McKellar Care Center, pulling open the front doors.

The secretary looked up at me, but didn't smile as usual- Ace was in trouble....

What'd he do now?