Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 77

My father drove me to the hospital and walked to the front door and up to the front desk, where he asked where we would find Ace.

When he found out, I hurried down the hall and stopped as I got to the large metal door. I peered in the small window and looked around the white room. All that appeared was a bed and large machine beside it.

I waited for the nurse and my father to catch up and unlock the door. As she appeared beside me, I slipped in the door, while my father stood in the doorway.

"Ace," I called quietly, cautiously approaching the creature laying under the blanket. He was hooked up to an IV, which held drugs used to calm him down and the machine was used to calculate his heart rate and such.

"I thought you never wanted to talk to me again," he whispered hoarsely.

"Well," I started. "I was angry. Friends say things they don't mean when they're angry sometimes..."

"I don't blame you."

"I don't blame you for not telling me about David," I said quietly and sat at the edge of the bed, due to the lack of chairs in the room.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry about your friend. I'm sorry for not telling you. I'm sorry for causing you so much trouble over the last couple months. I'm sorry for attacking you. I'm sorry I ever encountered you. In fact- I'm sorry I was even ever born."

"Ace- you're not crazy; you did what anyone would have done."

"I am crazy- if I weren't, I wouldn't be here."

"You had a breakdown. It happens; it's emotional stress that makes you sick. You'll be out soon, don't worry."

"Exactly- I'm sick. I always have been sick. Alex is right."

"See Ace, that's what your problem is. That's what I hate about you. I can't stand how you just sit there and insult yourself- no matter what anyone else has to say about you." I scowled, "And I'm sick of trying to make you feel better. You've got potential and potential is nothing unless you do something with it. Seriously- grow up, Ace!"

I watched a twisted smile came across his ghostly face and his pale lips turned up in a smirk. "You've got some nerve Jayden Mitchells- I like that about you. You're not afraid to speak your mind," he stated tiredly. "That's a great gift- you should use it more often."