Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 95

I hadn't relaized that I had dosed off. When I woke up, my hair was matted to one side of my head. I groaned and walked into the bathroom where I combed it out and brushed my teeth to get rid of the stale taste it now contained.

I walked into the kitchen and said, "I'm going for a walk."

"Where are you going," my mother asked with concern.

"I don't know, I'll probably end up at the hospital though."

"Jayde," he mouth hung open like her jaw was broken as she started. "I... I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why?"

"Jayden... I don't think you should be hanging around that boy anymore. He's going to get you in trouble. And he isn't helping you out in any way."

"Mom... I don't understand. He's helping me in every way. He can't help what's happened to him. It's just a thing. He really has been good over the last little while..."

"That boy has a lot of problems. And I know he's trying, but it just isn't working... He's falling down and he's dragging you down with him."

"What are you talking about?"

"Just... I'm just trying to do what's best for you."

"You have no idea what you're doing. Don't talk to me," I screamed and slammed the front door as I marched out of it and down the street. I stuck my hands in the pockets of the sweater I was wearing. I hadn't noticed- but it was Ace's sweater. I felt a rectangular object in the pocket and pulled it out to see his ipod.

I turned it in and rumagged through the songs, listening to the occasional song of interest. Ace had a different taste in music. I had never heard of most of the music he listened to, it was all really heavy and random. There were songs with an uptune beat and songs that brought up emotions and stirred them around like some kind of soup.

But listening to what the people were singing about, it came to mind exactly why Ace listened to this stuff. Despite how loud and messy it was, the singing, and what they were singing about, was completely relatable in Ace's case. Emotions and situations expressed could bring up things that most people could never imagine...