Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 98

"It seems like everyone's turning their backs on us," I mumbled to Ace.

He was released from the hospital later on that week and we were now sitting in a park, letting the cool summer bleeze blow around us.

Ace was still deathly pale, hiding under his bangs and his dark clothing, curled up ontop of the picnic table. "Why?"

"Because we aren't like anyone else. My parents are just mad because I'm not who I used to be."

"None of us are. People change. Just like everything else does. It's in our nature."

"People don't like change though, Ace- people are afraid of change. They'll do anything to avoid it," I stated.

"Then it's not really people who fear change, it's fear, because fear is overpowering."

"That sounds like something that some old chinese man would say," I stated with a giggle and watched as a smile came across his face.

"Yea- I guess you're right," he said. "But it doesn't matter what people think of your change. As long as it's a healthy change, and a change that you've made to become better and learn from your mistakes. I accept you. That makes one. And one isn't a lonely a number as one thinks."

"You're getting old."

"No I'm not," he stated.

"Yes you are," I argued and wriggled out of his grasp as he reached out to grab me.

"Am not!"

I jumped of the picnic table as he pursued to reach out after me and I ran halfway down the street before I heard him say, "Okay, I give up- I'm old!"

"Told you so," I laughed.

He caught up to me and said, "If I'm old- that means you're old too."

Burn...