Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 99

Over the course of the month, people began to notice just how close Ace and I had grown. They weren't able to tell exactly what we were: lovers, best friends, or siblings. I guess we were kind of a bit of each, it just depended what day you caught us on. We had the family bond, the one used for teasing and bugging, and the rest was left untold.

Since Ace let the hospital, he came very introverted. At one point in time, like the first time I met him, he was very bold and outspoken. Now he stayed out of trouble, and never went looking for it. He kept to himself his opinions and insults. He would seem invisible as he sat in the back corner of a room with his deathly pale complexion. He had stopped talking to my parents, the careworkers, and even the kids in the Care Center that he would usually bicker with. We stayed in his room, or he was off somewhere else. Even though everyone continued to keep a close eye on him, since everyone now though he was slightly offcentered and unstable. I thought he was fine; better than ever.

I became the opposite. At one time, I was very shy and quiet, and now I was rather outspoken, but not at all rational. I told people when they were bugging me and knew when to walk away. I went looking for fun instead of trouble and kept myself close only to those I knew I'd be able to trust.

Angel caught hold of his anger and frustration and became a little more conciderate of Ace's feelings. Because, when it came to emotions... it would seem that Ace had become quite the emotional type. Angel needed to become a little more sensitive, and I was sensitive by nature.

We got past our little strife and went back to our weekly events. This week, we were at the arcade.

"Common, Ace, you gotta try this," Angel remarked loudly after jumping off a dancing game.

"No... it's okay- you go ahead, I'll watch," Ace said quietly.

"Common, it's fun. I need an opponent anyways," he said, trying to pull Ace from the seat he was sitting in.

"No- really, I can't dance," Ace said as the begining of a smirk started on his face.

"It's alright, it's just for fun."

"No. I'd rather not..."

"I'll play with you," I said, getting onto the big machine and turning back to Ace as Angel got on beside me and inserted the coins. "I'll show you just how fun it can be."

I started laughing imediately after the music started, trying my best to get my foot in the right place at the right time. But I was too pre-occupied with laughing , and Angel won.

Ace was laughing at me.

"If you think I'm so bad- you should try it," I stated.

"Okay... maybe I will. Even though I'll lose worse than you did."

Ace stepped up to the game and did about the same as I did. I started laughing at him, and he'd only laugh back because he was struggling to follow the intrustions. He got about as far as I did before he stepped of and Angel threw his hands in the air, "YES- I AM THE MASTER!"

"Oh yea," Ace stated. "Let's see who the master of Pac-Man is...."

A smirk came across my face.