Chicago City Lights

Chapter Fourteen

Maybe she was being stupid, but Evelyn had to see Ben. She had sobered considerably since she had arrived at Wiz’s apartment. She sighed and wondered if he had even realized she was gone. She ran a hand through her curly brown hair and stepped out of the taxi, handing the man two twenty dollar bills, way more than what she owed him. He thanked her feverishly and drove off.

She took a deep breath and walked into the lobby.

“Hello, miss, it’s a little late to be seeing you,” The lobby attendant said to her as she entered.

Evelyn nodded her greeting, feeling nervous as she stepped into the elevator. She pulled her cell phone from her purse and looked at the time. It was almost three in the morning. As she arrived on his floor and stepped off of the elevator, she debated walking to his door.

She could go in, tell him the truth of what had happened and more importantly tell him the truth of how she felt about him… or she could turn around and forget she had ever come there. While the second option was looking good, she opted for the first…

Her knuckles knocked loudly on the door and she took a step back, wringing her hands together in nervousness. It was nearly two minutes before the door swung open. Evelyn tried to hide her blush as she looked over Ben’s body, clad in only a pair of red and black checkered boxers, but she couldn’t help staring. From his broad shoulders, thick arms, defined chest and abs, to his large and muscular legs, Evelyn couldn’t take her eyes away from him.

“Lyn?”

“Uh… hey?”

“What are you doing here?”

He didn’t say it meanly or with any hostility, instead he had said it softly, almost worried. Evelyn motioned for him to let her and he stepped aside, mumbling a sorry to her. She shook her head and walked to his small kitchen table, setting her purse down and taking off her coat. She couldn’t help but smile as his eyes went wide at the sight of her.

“I… wanted to apologize.”

“Lyn, you have nothing to apologize for. I’m the one who should be sorry. You were trying to help and I pushed you away.”

Evelyn smiled up at him and found her gaze locked into his blue eyes and he stared right back at her. He put his large hand on her elbow and pulled her close to him

“What - ” She started to say, but he cut her off, pressing a finger to his lips.

“You look… beautiful. That dress…”

Evelyn smiled and she felt her cheeks get hot.

“Why are you wearing it, though?” He asked, just above a whisper, pulling her body closer to his.

“Honestly?” She asked him

“Yes.”

“I went out with Wiz tonight.”

Ben hung his head and nodded, “Yeah, I guess I kind of gave him permission to do that…”

“You mean, you didn’t mean to?”

“God, Lynnie, no. I don’t want you going out with Wiz.”

Evelyn would have slapped any other guy for telling her who she could and could not date, but to hear Ben say that he didn’t want her dating him… Well, that meant there was hope, right?

“Why not?” She asked, smiling.

“He’s not good enough for you,” He told her, whispering in her ear.

She shivered involuntarily, but not because she was cold, but because she could feel his breath on her cheek and neck, and it was driving her wild. She felt that he was going to kiss her, but she hadn’t finished telling him…

“Ben,” She said, startling him.

He moved back away from her slightly, still keeping his hands at her hips.

“What?”

“I slept with Wiz.”

There. She had said it. She closed her eyes and grimaced, waiting for Ben to start yelling, something, anything… But it never came. She felt his hands slide off of her hips and she frowned, opening her eyes.

He had walked to his couch and sat down, staring ahead of him, at the blank TV screen. Evelyn walked to the couch, her heels clicking on his hardwood floors.

“Ben?”

“Why?”

“I was a little drunk… But, I know that’s not an excuse.”

He turned to look at her, studying her face to see if she was lying. She wasn’t, he concluded.

“Are you drunk now?” He asked, a smile twitching at his lips.

She shook her head, “No… Ben… I didn’t do it just because I was drunk.”

He groaned, “I don’t want to hear this…”

“No, you need to.”

He nodded, keeping his gaze at his feet. Evelyn put her hand in his chin and brought his gaze to meet hers.

“I was trying to get over you.”

He looked confused and he breathed out, “Get over me?”

Evelyn smiled a sad smile and Ben looked heartbroken. She sighed and put her hands on her knees, thinking of how to word what she wanted to say.

“Wiz told me that you gave him permission to ask me out that you said you were cool with it…”

He nodded, “I was stupid - ”

“That broke my heart.”

His eyes widened, those beautiful blue eyes that Evelyn just loved to look at. She nodded and continued.

“You don’t want to be with me.”

“Oh, god, Lynnie. I do, though.”

She looked up, startled.

“What?”

“Wiz came over right after we got into that fight. I was so mad, and I was being stupid.”

“Oh…” She breathed.

“Yeah,” He agreed, turning to her fully. “Evelyn… I - ”

“Ben?”

Evelyn turned her head to the hallway and her eyes went wide. Why was there a girl in Ben’s apartment? Why was she wearing one of Ben’s shirts? Why had she come out of his bedroom?

Evelyn darted her eyes back to Ben and he didn’t say anything. Evelyn stood from the couch, grabbed her coat and purse and left. She ran from the apartment building, and as soon as she was outside, she broke down and sobbed, just as the wind had picked up in the city of Chicago, and the rain began to fall.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I have TWENTY subscribers. It would be nice if you all commented! LOL

I want to thank everyone who DID comment last chapter. You guys are A-FREAKING-MAZING. You guys are the ones that motivate me to write. <3

So, please comment. Let me know how you like it. More tomorrow? (If you all review!!)