Chicago City Lights

Chapter Sixteen

Evelyn stood in her bedroom, curling her hair and applying make-up when there was a knock at her door. She sighed and put her mascara down, tightening her robe, as she answered. It was too early for Ben to be there, as he said he would be there at three and it was forty five minutes before three o’clock.

She smiled at James, “Hey.”

She moved aside and let him come in, “Hey.”

She blushed slightly at his appearance, not being able to not think about what had happened between them. He was wearing a pair of knit shorts and a white tank top. She figured he had gone for run, because he was sweaty and he asked her for a bottle of water.

He sat down, “I just wanted to talk to you.”

“Yeah,” She agreed.

“You left.”

She nodded and sighed, “James, I really like you - ”

“I know, and I really like you, too, but you belong with Ben.”

Evelyn turned to look at him and let out a laugh, “You think so?”

“Yes,” He sighed, nodding. “I tried to convince myself that I could get you to like me instead of Ben, but now I know that will never happen.”

“James, you’re a great guy, seriously.”

He smiled, “Yeah?”

“Yeah, you are, but let’s be honest here… You are not a relationship kind of guy.”

He looked at her and laughed, “I guess you’re right.”

“I am. So run your way back home, change, and head out to a bar. I’m sure you can find a lovely lady who would want to spend the evening with you…”

James stood and pulled Evelyn into a light hug, giving her a kiss on the cheek. She walked to her door, ready to let him leave, when another knock sounded. She opened the door to find Ben, dressed in a grey suit, with a dark purple shirt and even darker purple tie. He smiled at her.

“Sorry, I’m early,” He started, before he caught sight of James.

His eyes went back and forth between Evelyn, dressed only in a mid-thigh length robe and James in his shorts and tank top. Evelyn blushed and shook her head, pulling Ben inside.

“We were just talking.”

“Yeah,” James agreed. “I was taking a run when I passed by and decided we needed to talk before things got… even more awkward.”

Ben nodded, but didn’t say anything. James sighed and slapped Ben on the shoulder, telling him he’d see him soon. Ben nodded again, but still didn’t say anything. Evelyn sighed when the door closed behind James. She shook her head and walked to Ben, pulling him to her.

Ben was surprised by the hug, but he still wrapped his arm around Evelyn, pulling her tighter.

“I don’t want James,” She told him. “I want you.”

Her boldness surprised even her and Ben could only grin and place a kiss on her forehead, keeping their hug. He pulled away from her finally and told her to finish getting ready and that he would wait for her on the couch. She nodded and went to turn away, but Ben grasped onto her wrist.

“What are you…?”

But she was cut off by Ben’s lips on hers. The kiss surprised her. It wasn’t gentle, but still, it was soft. Ben kissed her with such intensity, she felt as though she might pass out. He held her so close and so tightly, like he was afraid she would leave, or afraid it could be their only kiss.

Evelyn sighed into it and leaned into him, pushing harder into the kiss. They finally pulled away, breathless.

“Wow,” She said quietly.

“Mm,” Ben agreed, nodding. “What a first kiss.”

He was laughing, but suddenly Evelyn had remembered New Years.

“Our second, actually.”

“What?” He asked, confused.

She blushed, “Well, you know how we spent New Year’s Eve together?”

He nodded, and she continued, “You fell asleep before midnight… And, uh…”

“Lyn,” Ben laughed. “What?”

“I kissed you at midnight.”

He raised his eyebrows at her, “And I was sleeping? You couldn’t kiss me… I don’t know. When I conscious!”

Evelyn laughed and skipped away from him, shutting her bedroom door. She looked at herself in the mirror, thinking her hair was done and so was her make-up. She let out a happy sigh and touched her lips, still feeling Ben’s kiss on her.

She slid into her purple dress, matching Ben’s shirt perfectly. How he had pulled that off, Evelyn wasn’t sure. The dress was strapless and clung to her body, all the way down to her knees. She complemented the dress with a pair of darker purple heels and a purple hair clip in her hair. She grabbed her coat and purse and walked to her living room to meet Ben.

When he heard her walking toward him, he shut the TV off and stood up, turning to her.

“Wow,” He said. “You look beautiful.”

She blushed, “Shall we go?”

He nodded and helped her with her coat. Just as she was about to walk out of her door, Ben stopped her lightly kissing her again. She smiled at him when he pulled away.

“I could get used to that,” She said, as she ushered him out of her door, locking it behind them.

“Me too,” He told her, lacing their fingers together and walking toward his car.

After the ceremony and after dinner, Ben and Evelyn found themselves on the dance floor. She spun in his arms, just as the lovely bride walked up.

“Hey, Evelyn, I’m Kate. Thanks for coming,” The tall red-head said, pulling her into a hug.

Evelyn, slightly taken back, blushed, “I am such as idiot!”

“Oh!” Katie let out. “Don’t even feel bad. Any girl would have made the same assumption. It, honestly, just shows how much you care… You being that upset.”

Evelyn blushed again, as Ben wrapped an arm around her waist.

“Well, congratulations,” Evelyn told her. “I wish you all the luck in the world.”

Katie grinned and turned to her husband, who was dancing… well, horribly. Katie laughed and shook her head.

“With a clown like that, I’ll need it.”

And she walked away, to her husband. Ben laughed and shook his head, wrapping his arms around Evelyn again. He pressed his lips to hers as they swayed to the music.

“So…” He started, quietly, almost whispering. “Is it safe to say we’re… together, now?”

Evelyn could only laugh and nod her head, pulling Ben in for another kiss.

“I’d like that very much.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to thank everyone who reviews this story! It's FAR from over, just to let you guys know! LOL. I love love love reading all the comments I get on this story, and even if I don't reply to yours doesn't mean that I didn't love it.

I'd really really LOVE to get more comments than from the same seven or eight people. There are TWENTY EIGHT of you lovelies subscribed to this. So, to the ones who comment, keep doing so. It means SO much.

And to the ones who DON'T comment... Why? LOL

More soon.