Chicago City Lights

Chapter Nineteen

Evelyn woke up the morning of Valentine’s Day wrapped in Ben’s arms. She had been spending the night at his house the last few days, and she found she had quickly gotten used to sharing a bed with someone. It was only eight AM, but she was wide awake. She slid out of his muscular arms and kissed his cheek before walking into the kitchen. She made herself a cup of coffee, quickly drinking it while she raided Ben’s kitchen for food. There was nothing.

She shook her head and finished her coffee, walking into the shower and quickly rinsing off. When she stepped out, her cell phone rang and she rushed to get it.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Sam.”

“Hey, what’s going on?”

“Nothing much, but I need an outfit for my date with Patrick tonight.”

“Same here! Ben’s taking me out and I have nothing…”

“Shopping?” Sam suggested.

Evelyn grinned, “Hell yes. And breakfast?”

“Ben has no food?”

“Not unless I want…” She looked in the freezer. “Hot pockets.”

Sam laughed, “I’ll pick you up in twenty.”

Evelyn grinned, “Sounds good.”

She walked into Ben’s bedroom, still wrapped in only a towel, rummaging through Ben’s closet. She pulled on a pair of his sweat pants, rolling them at her hips to make them shorter for her. She pulled on one of his hoodies, hugging herself with the scented fabric.

She left a note for Ben, telling her where she would be and that she would go to her apartment when she and Sam were done. She pulled on her gym shoes, grabbing her purse and leaving the apartment.

Sam was waiting for her when she left the tall apartment complex. Evelyn grinned and climbed into the passenger seat, giving the older girl a hug and a kiss.

“Hey, lady,” Same said, pulling into traffic.

“Where are you guys headed tonight?” Evelyn asked.

“Actually, nowhere,” Sam laughed. “We’re staying at home, he’s cooking for me, but we decided to dress up.”

“That’s awesome!” Evelyn grinned. “I wish me and Ben were doing that. I’m such a home-y person.”

Sam laughed, “That’s why Ben wants to take you out.”

Evelyn turned to Sam, “You know where he’s taking me, don’t you?”

Sam looked out of her window as they were stopped at a red light, and Evelyn gasped.

“You do know!”

“Maybe…”

“Tell me!”

“No way!”

Sam…”

“Ben would kill me!”

I will kill you!” She laughed.

Sam snorted, pulling into the parking lot of the Water Tower Place, a downtown shopping mall. Evelyn pouted and grabbed her purse, hopping out of the car. They immediately walked to the food court, grabbing some food.

“So… how are things with Ben?” Sam asked, as they began to eat.

“Good,” She said, taking a bite of her good. “Really good, actually.”

“He loves you.”

Evelyn dropped her fork, staring at the older girl, “Really?”

Sam nodded, “I can tell, honey.”

“Yeah?” She asked, grinning a bit.

“Yeah,” Sam confirmed. “You guys haven’t said it yet?”

Evelyn shook her head.

Do you love him?”

Evelyn shook her head, again, “Not yet, but I definitely could.”

“Have you had sex yet?”

Sam!”

The girl laughed and held her hands in the air, “Just wondering…”

“Well, yes, we have.”

“Oh?”

“Mhm.”

“And?”

“And nothing.”

“Evelyn!”

“Sam, it was incredible.”

Sam laughed, as they finished their food and walked into Macy’s. The two girls immediately found dresses they liked, Sam opting for a plain black one and Evelyn picking out a silk, pink, and empire-waisted dress. Both girls cringed at the price tags of their chosen outfits, but Evelyn more so. She had to pay with her own money, while Patrick had told Sam to pick out anything she wanted, since it was for their date.

They were ready to leave the mall when Evelyn found herself being pulled into another store, Betsy Johnson, a high end dress and lingerie shop.

“What do you want from here?” Evelyn asked, laughing.

“Nothing,” Sam told her. “You want something.”

“Do not!”

“Evelyn, you need to knock Ben out.”

“Oh jesus, I think I already did that when I seduced him in only a towel.”

Sam raised her eyebrows, as Evelyn picked up and fell in love with pink set of a bustier and panties.

“I have to get this!”

“Yes, woman, you do.”

Evelyn paid for the items as her cell rang, thinking it was Ben, she picked it up.

“Hey, babe.”

“Is that any way to greet your mother?”

Evelyn laughed, “Sorry mom, I though you were Ben.”

Sam laughed.

“Who’s Ben?”

“My boyfriend.”

“How long has this been going on?”

“About a month.”

“Oh, wow! And you didn’t tell me?”

“It slipped my mind…”

“Well, tell me about him.”

“His name is Ben, Ben Eager. He’s twenty four. He’s from Canada.”

“Oh? And what does he do for a living?”

“He plays hockey.”

“Hockey?”

“Yeah, mom, hockey. He’s on the Chicago Blackhawks.”

“I’m sure your father will love that.”

Evelyn laughed.

“Do you love him?”

“Not yet, but I could.”

Sam let out a laugh, too, knowing what Evelyn’s mother had asked. Evelyn talked to her mother for a few more minutes before hanging up. Sam laughed at her again, knowing how hard it was to deal with parents. Her parents had been less than thrilled with her choice to date a hockey player.

Evelyn sighed as they left the mall, knowing her mother was putting on a front about being happy in her daughter’s choice in men. Her father would love that? She knew he wouldn’t. If there was one thing Evelyn’s family didn’t want for her, it was a hockey playing boyfriend.

The two girls said goodbye, as Sam pulled up to Evelyn’s apartment complex. The young girl waved at her doorman before sprinting up to her place. When she walked in, she saw a bouquet of roses on the table. She smiled and smelled the flowers, quickly glancing over the note.

Evelyn,
I can’t wait to see you tonight.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
Ben.


She smiled, as a knock sounded at her door. Confused, she opened the door to a delivery man with flowers. Was Ben sending her more? The man handed her the flowers, not bothering to stick around.

She set the lilies on her table next to the roses and looked at the card.

Eva,
I’m in Chicago. I hope to see you.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
Ryan.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Lynne and Erin, cause they have kept me entertained this whole evening. =D I really hope you girls like it, even though it's just a filler. The next chapter is going to be their date. FYI.

COMMENT, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. =D

I'm SO sorry it sucked. Really badly. =[