Chicago City Lights

Chapter Twenty

Evelyn sat on her couch, as she waited for Ben to come. She had a feeling of anxiousness wash over her, but she didn’t know why. Well, she sighed, running the piece of paper through her fingers. She flipped it over and read the message for what could have been the millionth time.

Eva,
I’m in Chicago. I hope to see you.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
Ryan.


Just the opening word – Eva – haunted her. No one had ever called her Eva besides Ryan and the name reminded her of happy times, but those happy times were overshadowed by the bad. She didn’t understand herself for letting a relationship like they had happen to her. No one knew the control he had over her, not even her parents. Evelyn never told anyone.

Until she had told Ben.

She smiled at the thought of him, more excited for their Valentine’s date than ever. As if her wishes came true, there was a knock at her door, and Evelyn skipped to it, throwing it open to see Ben. He smiled at her and pulled her in for a kiss. Evelyn’s eyes stayed closed when he pulled away, a smile on her face.

“Hey,” She said, ushering him in.

“You look beautiful,” he told her, looking over her deep pink and silk dress.

He put his large hands on her waist and brought his lips to hers. Evelyn sighed when he pulled away and ran her hands over his suit and tie. He looked down at her and frowned.

“What’s the matter?” He asked her, placing a hand on her cheek.

“Nothing,” She told him, smiling up at him.

“Evelyn… I know when you’re lying.”

She sighed and walked into the kitchen, receiving the bouquet of roses out of the garbage before grabbing the note attached to it. Ben watched her, curiously.

“What’s this?”

She handed him the note, as she stood there with the flowers. He read over the note and Evelyn could literally see his bright blue eyes go dark.

“Ryan, as in your ex?” He asked, holding the paper so tightly his knuckles were white.

Evelyn nodded, “I have no idea why he sent this… I don’t even know how he knows where I live…”

Ben crumpled the piece of paper and grabbed the flowers, throwing them both in the garbage.

“Forget about him. Let’s just go have a nice night. Me and you,” He told her, looking at her so intensely, she felt her knees go wobbly.

She could only nod her head before she was pulled out of her apartment by Ben, barely able to grab her purse and coat. When they reached the lobby of her apartment building and walked into the chilly weather, Evelyn’s eyes went wide.

She looked from Ben to the limo, to Ben again.

“What’s that?”

“Our ride for the evening.”

“Ben…”

He stopped her from talking by placing his finger on her lips, “Only the best for you.”

She blushed and slid into the limo, Ben sliding in after her and immediately pouring two glasses of champaign. Evelyn smiled at him and clinked their glasses together. The driver smiled at them as he pulled into traffic.

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” He told them.

Evelyn smiled, “Thank you.”

He closed the divider and continued driving, as Evelyn slid off her coat and cuddled into Ben. He kissed her forehead and put an arm around her shoulder.

“At risk of sounding cheesy and cliché…” He started and Evelyn laughed, staring up at him. “I’ve been so happy since I met you, since I came to Chicago… I was so pissed at moving, but I am so glad I did.”

“Ben…” Evelyn started, tears forming in her eyes.

“Lyn! Why are you crying?”

She laughed, “I am so dramatic and stupid.”

“You are not!”

“I am!” She laughed. “But, seriously Ben… That was so sweet.”

He turned to her and pulled her to him, placing his large hands on her thighs.

“I love you,” He told her.

Evelyn stared up at him with wide eyes and brought her hands to his jaw, running her thumb over his cheek.

“I love you, too.”

“Really?” He asked, more excitedly than he intended to.

She laughed, “I do. I’m not going to lie, I was unsure this morning, but honestly… Hearing you say those things and realizing that I feel exactly the same way… I know I do.”

Ben kissed her as they pulled to a stop.

“Ben, where are we?” Evelyn asked, as he opened the door for her and helped her out.

“The John Hancock Building.”

Evelyn’s eyes widened, again, “I’ve always wanted to come here to eat! Ben!”

Ben laughed at her excited-ness as they rode the elevator to the floor the restaurant was on. They were seated quickly and Evelyn gasped at the view. All of Chicago was lit up and Evelyn was sure it was the prettiest thing she had ever seen.

When she finally turned back to Ben he had already ordered wine and appetizers. Evelyn smiled sheepishly and turned to her menu, immediately decided she wanted a steak. Ben shook his head at her.

That is part of the reason I love you.”

She laughed.

Their dinner passed quickly, conversation flowing smoothly between them. Evelyn loved that about Ben. They never ran out of things to say. It surprised her how comfortable she was with Ben and how well he knew her. He had become her best friend in the three months she had known him, and now, she couldn’t imagine her life without him. And it was comforting to know that he felt the same way towards her.

They climbed back into the limo and Ben once again refused to tell her where they were going. When they pulled the a top, empty, and outdoor parking garage and parked, Evelyn stared at him, curiously. He pointed out of her window and she saw the skyline of Chicago, once again.

Their driver left the car and Evelyn saw him leave their floor. Ben pulled the champaign towards them once again and told her, “I figured we could sit here and relax, look at the skyline…”

He had said it shyly, unsure if she would like it. Evelyn grinned and pulled him in for a kiss.

“I love it,” She told him. “And I love you.”

Wrapping his arms around her, they fell onto the seat of the limo, getting caught up in each other. Ben’s lips moved to her neck and she gasped, as he sucked on the sensitive skin below her ear.

“Ben… not here.”

“Sh,” He shushed her, kissing her shoulder and sliding her dress up her thighs.

“Oh, god, Ben!” She giggled, as he pressed his hand against her.

He laughed and moved away from her, taking his suit coat and tie off, also unbuttoning his dress shirt. Evelyn ran her hand over his chest, digging her nails into his skin, making him groan.

He kissed her hard again and pulled her dress all the way off with her barely noticing. She shook her head. How he did that, she would never know. As he entered her, Evelyn wrapped her arms around Ben so tightly, he was sure he’d have a bruise.

She buried her face in his neck, as they moved together. Breathing an ‘I love you’ into her hair, he climaxed and she did, too. They laid on the car seat together, staring at the Chicago skyline and the stars just barely visible in the sky.

They breathed a sigh of content and shared another kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I haven't updated in a while, but I was stuck on it for a while, but now things seem to be working out. I love love love all the comments you guys are giving me for this story.

I see about six or seven more chapters in this. MAYBE a couple more, but this is winding down to a close.

;D