Chicago City Lights

Chapter Seven

Evelyn sat on her couch two days later, ready to watch the Blackhawks game. Her cell phone rang and she was confused as to why Ben’s number showed up on the screen.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey,” He said, as the puck was dropped.

“How come you’re not playing?”

“Concussion,” He stated lamely.

“Oh, no,” Was all she could say.

“Yeah, the doctors said I should go home and rest.”

“That’s probably best,” She agreed.

“Yeah, but I drove here with Cam Barker, cause we’re roommates, and I don’t really have a way to get home…”

“I’ll be there in, like, twenty minutes,” She laughed, hanging up her phone.

Looking at her appearance of sweatpants, sweatshirt, her hair in a messy ponytail, and no make-up on, she shrugged and left her apartment.

Ben was waiting outside for her when she pulled up. She smiled at him as he silently got in the car and slammed the door. Evelyn got the hint and silently drove her car back to Ben’s apartment.

“How bad is the concussion?” Evelyn asked, as she pulled into Ben’s parking garage.

He sighed, “I’m going to be out for a while. I hit it pretty hard, and they don’t want me to play until I’m one-hundred-percent.”

“How long is a while?” She asked, pressing further.

“Depends on how I do with the tests they do, to make sure I am balanced and don’t feel dizzy.”

Evelyn nodded, and sat still, as Ben still did not get out of her car. He looked over at her straight into her brown eyes with his crystal blue ones, and the look he gave her was so intense, that Evelyn shivered.

“What?”

“Can you come in with me?”

Evelyn grinned and nodded, and Ben breathed a sigh of relief. He got out of the small car and opened her backseat, reaching for his bag.

“Nope,” Evelyn exclaimed, pressing herself in front of Ben. “I got your bag.”

“Lynie, you don’t have to do that. I’m fine.”

“You have a concussion, darling. Let me take care of you.”

Evelyn smiled, asshe and Ben walked into his building and to the elevator. The door man smiled at them, as they walked passed him.

“Evening, kids,” The elderly man said.

“Evening,” Evelyn grinned back.

Ben kept his somber appearance, and only nodded his head. Finally reaching his apartment door, Ben pulled his key out of his pocket and opened the door for Evelyn. She grinned and dropped his bag by the door.

“Lay down on the couch,” She told him.

He raised his eyebrows at her, looking her up and down.

“No comments, please,” She sighed, feeling insecure of her appearance.

“What? I was just going to tell you how beautiful you look.”

“Don’t lie to me, Ben. Now sit on the couch.”

Ben did as he was asked, as Evelyn threw a spare blanket on him. He smiled up at her, and moved so he was lying down on the couch. Evelyn tucked the blanket up around him.

“I wasn’t lying,” He said. “You look beautiful.”

Evelyn stopped tucking him in, and let her gaze fall onto his eyes. She tried to look away, but found she couldn’t. As Ben picked his head up off the pillow, Evelyn moved back, letting out a ‘cough.’

“Are you hungry? I can make you something to eat…”

“Lyn…” He sighed.

“I’ll just go raid your kitchen,” She said quickly, almost running into the other room.

She shook her head and put her hands on Ben’s counter, hanging her head. Shit, she said to herself. Surely he wasn’t going to kiss me? Evelyn knew she was kidding herself, and she knew that was what he was about to do.

She wasn’t stupid. She had seen the look he had given her when she and James were talking, well, flirting. Opening his fridge, she saw that he had a lot of cold cuts and cheese.

She took her time in preparing two sandwiches for each of them. Walking back into the living room, she noticed Ben was now sitting up and had turned on the Blackhawks game.

Evelyn handed him a sandwich and took a seat, furthest away from him on the couch. She felt him looking at her, but she kept her focus on the game.

With another Hawks win over the Preds, once again five to two, Evelyn finally turned to look at Ben, shifting her body, so she was sitting cross-legged facing him.

“I’m here for you, you know.”

Ben looked confused, so she continued.

"I know we’ve only known each other a couple of weeks, but I also know how bad you want to be out there with your teammates, and I know however long you are out is going to be hard for you. I just want you to know that you can call me anytime.”

Ben grinned and pulled her forward, as he also shifted his body toward her.

“Thanks, Lynie. I’m glad I met you,” He mused, hugging her tightly.

“I’m glad I met you, too, Ben.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give me some feedback? I love love love to hear what you guys think!!