Chicago City Lights

Chapter Eight

“You’re such an ass!” Evelyn squealed, bringing her hands up to block the stream of water Ben was aiming at her.

Ben, sink hose in hand, laughed as he soaked the small girl. Once he stopped spraying her, she stomped her foot and glared at him. Looking down at her completely soaked through clothes and pulling her wet hair through her fingers, she frowned.

Suddenly, she smiled, and ran toward him.

“Shit,” Ben mumbled, as he sprinted out of the kitchen and down the hall. Just as he took a leap into his bedroom, Evelyn sped up and jumped on his back, sending them both flying forward.

Ben fell with an ‘umph’ onto the bed, Evelyn on his back. He turned his head to the left, grinning up at her.

“Well,” He started, winking. “If you wanted me, all you had to do was ask.”

Evelyn let out a comical and sarcastic laugh, sounding like a loud, “Ha!”

Ben opened his mouth in mock horror and his eyes went wide, to which Evelyn laughed. She rolled off of him, landing at his side. She grinned at him, as she leaned forward and shook her long hair at him.

Ben grimaced, “Thanks.”

“Hey, you’re the one who got me wet.”

Ben’s eyes went wide and his eyebrows shot up, and Evelyn’s hand flew to her mouth, as she started laughing. The pair launched into hysterical laughter, as the water continued to drip from Evelyn’s body and onto Ben’s bed.

Finally allowing herself a deep breath, Evelyn composed herself, “Wow.”

It was all she managed to get out, as she laughed again. Ben had tears rolling down his cheeks, as did Evelyn. Catching each other’s gaze, they grinned and finally stopped laughing.

“Uhm, can I borrow clothes?” Evelyn asked, standing from Ben’s bed.

Ben nodded his head, as he said, “I suppose so.”

Evelyn shook her head and shoved him out of the room, locking the door behind him. She walked to his dresser and pulled out a pair of basketball shorts. Pulling them on, they went to her mid calf. She pulled a sweatshirt out of his closet and pulled it over her head, before grabbing her wet clothes and walking into his large adjoining bathroom. She hung the clothes over his shower, letting them drip dry.

It had been five days since Ben had been sent home, being told he wasn’t fit to play. Evelyn had attended the previous night’s overtime loss to the Los Angeles Kings, completely enjoying her time in one of the boxes with Ben.

He had smiled at her, as she ordered food on top of food.

“Are you that hungry?”

“It’s a rule in my family that when you attend a sporting event, you eat like a pig,” She told him, ordering another slice of pizza.


Evelyn smiled, as she walked into the living room, Ben on the couch. It was New Year’s Eve and only twenty minutes until midnight. The Blackhawks were out of town, in Southern California, and there was no point in Ben flying out with them; he wouldn’t have been able to play.

Evelyn forewent plans with her friends in order to hang out with Ben. He told her that he didn’t want to go out to celebrate the holiday, but for the first time since he had turned twenty-one, he wanted to stay home and watch the New Year’s Eve TV programs.

Evelyn beamed at the thought of a quiet New Years. She couldn’t remember the last time she had had one. Her parents had always thrown parties at their house, and once she was in her teen years, she was out with friends.

As the two of them watched the show, broadcast from Navy Pier along Lake Michigan, they held hands. It was something new for them, and Evelyn found herself smiling at the gesture.

With five minutes until midnight struck in Chicago, Evelyn turned to Ben… only to find he was asleep.

“Amateur,” She mumbled, lightly smiling at him, as his head fell to her shoulder.

Sure, the two of them had only known each other for two weeks, but Evelyn found herself enjoying his company, and he did hers. She couldn’t help but feel guilty, as she thought of her other friends that she had left abandoned since Ben had came into her life.

I promised myself I wouldn’t be one of those girls! She thought. The ones that abandon their friends when they meet a boy!

It was ridiculous to her because she and Ben were not dating, but just friends. She sighed, as the clock counted down.

3. 2. 1. And it was a new year.

Evelyn looked at Ben and leaned her head down, lightly pressing her lips to his. He only stirred slightly in his sleep, and Evelyn laughed at the small smile that was etched on his face when she pulled away.

Sliding out from underneath him, she walked into his kitchen and pulled her cell phone from her purse. Dialing the phone number of her best friend, she waited for her to answer.

“Evelyn!” The girl yelled, as she picked up her phone.

“Danielle,” Evelyn answered just as enthusiastically.

“Where have you been? Every time I ask you to hang out, you have plans. Leading a double life, darling?”

Evelyn laughed, “I guess you can say that… I met a boy.”

Evelyn braced herself for the loud shrill scream of her best friend, and was not disappointed.

“Tell me everything!”

“His name’s Ben. He’s a hockey player for the Blackhawks, Dany.”

“Is he hot?”

Evelyn shook her head at Danielle’s excitement, “Yes, but does that really matter?”

“Of course it matters, Evelyn; it means everything!”

“Don’t exaggerate, Dany! What’s really important is that he’s an amazing guy.”

“How’d you meet him?”

Evelyn laughed again and said, “You’re not going to believe me, but here goes…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Definitely my favorite chapter. :]