Chicago City Lights

Chapter Nine

Evelyn grimaced, as the final buzzer sounded, bringing an end to the Blackhawks versus Wild game; the Wild winning with five goals to two. The Blackhawks had been on a losing streak for the past two weeks, and Ben was the most frustrated, Evelyn imagined, even though he hadn’t played a single game.

Still not medically cleared, Ben was forced to sit out and watch his team play. He would have rather been on the ice losing with them, if it meant that he would become part of the team. Even though he got along with his teammates, he felt like an outsider.

Evelyn sensed this, but bit her tongue, choosing not to bring up the touchy subject. Walking with Ben through the halls of the United Center, or the UC as she had learned to call it, the last thing she wanted to do was to walk into the Hawks locker room.

As the two of them reached the door with the Indian head logo on it, the coaches were leaving, somber looks on their faces. Ben took a deep breath and unlaced his fingers from Evelyn’s, pushing his way through the door.

His teammates looked up at him, as they silently gathered their things. The team was once again flying out that night, having a game against the Nashville Predators the next night. Hopeful that they could continue their win streak against the Preds, they were looking for a turn-around.

“Evelyn, Ben,” Patrick Sharp said, walking up to the two. “We need you out there man.”

Ben furrowed his eyebrows at the older forward, but Sharpie continued.

“I know you’re not really known for your goal production,” He grinned, as the team, Ben, and Evelyn chuckled. “But, you’re a damn good fighter and we need you out there to give us a kick in our asses every now and then.”

Ben smiled, as the team nodded their heads, letting out words of agreement. Evelyn grinned knowing there was no way that Ben could feel like an outsider amongst the team now.

“Yeah,” Patrick Kane added. “How much longer are you going to be out?”

“A while still, I think. The NHL doesn’t mess around when it comes to concussions.”

Evelyn frowned.

“I get my ass kicked on the ice, and you’re not there to back me up.”

“You can’t get anyone else to defend you, Kaner?” Ben laughed.

“I guess not,” The young rookie mumbled, rolling his eyes.

Evelyn noticed that almost everyone was packed and dressed. She grabbed Ben’s hand with hers, starting to pull him from the room.

“Have a good flight guys, and I really hope you beat Nashville.”

Ben added his agreement, and bid his team a good night. And they both truly meant it. Here were the Blackhawks, in the middle of quite possibly the biggest team resurgence in hockey history.

With young talent and a refreshed management team, it was time for the Hawks to be noticed again. Ben had expressed his excitement to Evelyn about the team, and she agreed wholeheartedly.

And their hopes had come true. Sitting on Ben’s couch, he and Evelyn whooped and hollered their excitement at the Blackhawks win. Beating the Predators three to two, the team could shake off their last two weeks of games and the eight straight losses.

“Well,” Evelyn said, but that all she could say.

“Yeah,” Ben added.

And they didn’t need to say anything else. They completely understood what the other was thinking. The Blackhawks had won, and they were back on track. Finally.

“I’m getting sick of being held up in this stupid apartment,” Ben mumbled, getting up from the couch.

Evelyn smiled sadly, nodding her head. Ben had been encouraged not to drive until he had passed the NHL medical tests with at least an 85%. Evelyn had no idea what that meant, and she was not about to have Ben try and explain it again. The last time, it seemed, the information went in one ear and out the other.

Evelyn had been coming to Ben’s house as soon as her classes were over on the days that she did not work. Other than that, Ben was to fend for himself. If it was in walking distance, he could go there, but he usually didn’t. He didn’t like hanging out by himself.

Evelyn walked behind Ben, as he sat at his kitchen table. She put his hands on his shoulders and leaned down.

“Tomorrow we’re going out to dinner with some of my friends, remember?”

Ben smiled at Evelyn, “Finally, new people to hang out with.”

“You’re an ass,” She laughed.

Evelyn had been getting bombarded with phone calls from Danielle, as well as their friends, Natalie and Kimberly, who had no doubt received phone calls form Danielle, recounting every detail Evelyn had told her.

Joining them at dinner, would be Kimberly’s boyfriend, Josh; him being the only reason Ben had agreed to go.

“I’m not going out to dinner with four girls. You must be nuts!”

Evelyn placed a kiss on Ben’s cheek, as she picked up her purse and headed to Ben’s door. She had a test the next day, and she needed to rest, as well as do some last minute cramming.

Ben frowned, as the door closed behind her. He tried to shake his head from what he was thinking, but he couldn’t. He was only a month into knowing her, and yet, he had told his mother about her.

Though the woman did not hide her disappointment upon hearing they were notdating, she was still excited at the prospect of a potential girlfriend for her young son.

Ben couldn’t deny he was falling for the pretty young brunette, but he wondered if she held the same feelings for him.

What he didn’t know was that she felt exactly the same way.