Worth Waiting For

What's In A Name?

Week 34
Late-September 2010


“So, you’re sure it’s okay if I don’t go to this week’s exam?” Joe asked as I made sure I had everything in my purse.

“Honey our exams are going to be weekly now, I don’t think you’re going to miss much.” I said. “I’ll be fine. You do whatever it is you have to do.”

“Alright. Logan’s going to drive you.”

“Oh good. I don’t think I could handle driving in this state.” I said, laughing. A car horn sounded in the driveway. I opened the door and saw Logan waving at me from the big black car. I waved back and turned to Joe.

“Okay, I should be home by the time you get back.” He said, hugging me and placing a kiss on my forehead. “I love you.”

“I love you too. Bye.” I turned and walked towards the car where Logan was holding the passenger door open for me.

“Hi Mel.”

“Hey Logan. Thank you.” I said, climbing into the car.

“You’re welcome,” he said, climbing into the driver’s seat. “How much longer until the little squirt is born?”

“Six to eight weeks!” I squealed.

“Well someone sounds excited. Do you have any names picked out?”

“Not yet. I have to talk to Joe about that later. Of course I already know what the baby is so… I don’t know what to do.”

“Why don’t you see if he’s thought about names? Maybe he has some picked out… or… let him name the little bugger.”

“Can you please stop referring to my unborn child as a squirt and a bugger?” I asked, turning to glare at him.

“Sorry, sorry. I’ve just never had to really work with kids before so this is a first for me. To be honest… I’m a bit nervous.”

“Logan. We trust you so much. I have faith in you.” I said, placing my hand on his arm.

“Thanks Mel,” he said, turning to smile at me. “I hope I don’t let you down.”

****

“Hello Melissa and… I’m sorry… who are you?” Dr. Lockhart asked as she walked into the exam room. I laughed and smiled at her.

“Dr. Lockhart, this is my bodyguard Logan Danes. Joe couldn’t come today and he didn’t want me to come alone.”

“Nice to meet you.” Logan said, shaking her hand.

“Likewise. Okay, let’s get started.” She said, grabbing the transducer. As the lights flickered off and the ultrasound screen was illuminated Dr. Lockhart started asking questions. “So, have you experienced any minor contractions yet?”

“Actually, I’m pretty sure I have. How will I know when I’m really in labor?”

“You will be in actual labor when contractions come to about four minutes apart. Then it’s time to get to the hospital. Your water will break as well and contractions will feel stronger at that point. You should start packing a hospital bag now and keep it by the front door for when the time comes to leave for the hospital. Do you know who you want in the delivery room?”

“Well, Joseph of course. Denise and my mother… and I’m debating on having Lauren in there.”

“Are you sure you want your mother and your mother-in-law there?”

“They’re my Lamaze coaches.” I said, nodding my head.

“Alright. As far as Lauren goes, that’s all up to you. It depends on how many people you feel comfortable with in the room.”

“My decision on her might have to wait until the time comes.”

“Just be sure to let the nurses know when it does happen.”

“I will.”

“Okay. We’re all set here.” She said, turning the lights back on. “Be sure to keep taking your pre-natal vitamins and I’ll see you again next week.”

“Thank you,” I said, grabbing my purse and heading towards the door.

“Bye.” Logan said.

****

“Honey, I’m home!” I called as I waved to Logan pulling out of the driveway and closing the door. I slipped off my shoes and stepped into the living room, and dropped my mouth in awe. “What the…?”

“Hey,” Joe said, smiling at me. He had newspapers spread out on the floor and one of the chairs draped in a plastic cloth. His hands were gloved and he was wearing painting clothes.

“Joe… what’s going on?” I asked, setting my purse on the kitchen counter and walking onto the newspaper covered carpet, feeling it crinkle under my feet.

“It’s time for us to make a belly cast.” He said, beaming at me.

“Seriously?” I asked excitedly.

“Yeah, I have this shirt for you to wear, but it will be open. Don’t worry, I had Lauren take Kevin out for a bit so he wouldn’t walk in here at an awkward moment.”

“Oh, well since that’s been taken care of,” I said, laughing. I walked towards Joe and draped my arms over his shoulders. “You really set this up all by yourself?”

“Well, Mom helped me buy the supplies and everything and your mother printed out instructions for me but I set it all up in here and I’m all prepped. So, you ready?” he asked, giving me a kiss.

“Yeah, I’m ready. Where’s the shirt?” I asked, taking off the one I already had on. He handed it to me and I put my arms through. “Is this good?”

“Beautiful,” he said, smiling at me. “Do you want to sit or stand while I do this?”

“Well, I should probably stand?”

“Actually… how about instead…” he said, walking into the kitchen. “How about a stool?”

“Oh, yes. That will work.” I said, climbing onto the stool. “Do you want me to pose?”

“Pose however you feel comfortable.” He said, grabbing the papier-mâché glue and newspaper strips. “All set?”

“Okay, let’s do this thing.” I said. He dipped a piece of newspaper in the glue and placed it above my breasts. It was very cold.

“So, I’ve been thinking of names.” He said casually as he placed another piece on my body.

“Oh yeah?” I asked. “Let’s hear them.”

“Actually… I was hoping I could keep them to myself and when I find out the sex of the baby, I’ll tell you the name I want.” He said, pausing in his motions and glancing up at me expectantly.

“Wait, you have names that you’re completely set on?”

“Yeah, and I haven’t told anyone what they are. They all want it to be a surprise what the baby is so why not have it be a surprise what the name will be? Especially for you since you know everything I don’t know.”

“Alright. When the baby comes, you are in charge of the name.”

“Awesome,” he said, giving me another kiss and putting more papier-mâché on me.

“As long as you know not to name a baby Blanket,” I said, looking down at him seriously.

“Yeah, I do know not to name a baby after an inanimate object, thank you.” he said, rolling his eyes at me.

“See, you’re way ahead of the pack.” I said, smoothing the hair back on his head.

“Ha-ha, very funny. Hey, I wonder if Blanket ever met Tom and Katie’s baby Pillow.”

"Yeah, that would be a perfect play-date.” I said laughing as he now covered my hands.

“Yeah, when it’s naptime they’d be set.”

“And then they could invite Gwyneth’s Apple over afterwards for a little snack.”

“And Banjo, Rachel Griffith’s baby, could play for them.”

“And then they could all jump into Mia Farrow’s Sachel, and make fun of, umm…”

“Oh, Pilot Inspektor Lee.” Joe said, laughing.

“Oh, good one.” I said. “What is it with celebrities and weird baby names?”

“I don’t know but I assure you the names I picked out are completely normal and I’m pretty sure you will love them.”

****

“Alright, ready to get this thing off?” Joe asked after having cleaned up the living room leaving only a bit of newspaper underneath my stool.

“Yes!” I exclaimed. I had grown increasingly uncomfortable as I sat with the cast drying on me. And I had to pee like a racehorse.

“Okay, here goes nothing.” He said, carefully lifting the cast at the edges. Very slowly he peeled it away from my skin and set it on the remaining newspaper so it leaned against the coffee table. I moved as fast as I could off the stool and to the bathroom connected to the kitchen.

“Be right back!” I cried as I waddled my way over there. I heard Joe laughing behind me and the front door open.

“We’re back!” Lauren cried. “I hope Mel’s all decent.”

“We’re done.” I called from the bathroom. When I was done I walked back out after having buttoned up the shirt I was wearing. “What do you think?”

“It’s really neat.” Kevin said.

“Nice job Joe.” Lauren said. “I thought you’d mess it up for sure.”

“Thanks Laur for that vote of confidence.”

“Anytime my dear brother-in-law.” She said, patting his cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY I am back and with a new chapter! Yay *happy dance*
So we're closer and closer to the baby!!! Oh the excitement is building.
So guess what guys... While I was without my dear story Worth Waiting For I was with ideas for a third installment to this story! I already have the first two chapters written! Now I just have to finish writing this! Keep an eye out!!

C/R/S

Thanks so much for reading!

~Steph <3