Talking To The Wall

003: Out for Coffee

Ryder waited patiently to see if she would come. He glanced at his watch and saw that it was around the same time as yesterday and hoped to see her white beanie hat to turn the corner. Soon enough, with another book in hand and listening to music on her i-pod. He watched her bob her head to her music a small smiled on his face as he she seemed untouched by the world around her.

"Hi!" Ryder jumped in front of her and she let out a loud scream, hitting him repeatedly with her book.

"Hey, wait! It's me, Ryder!" Mikayla stopped swinging and opened up her eyes to see her new next door neighbor standing there with a sheepish smile on his face, his arms thrown up in defense to her attacking him. Her eyes went wide and she instantly started apologizing over and over again.

"It's okay! It's fine, look no harm done." Ryder fixed himself, his hoody falling off of him slightly and then looked down at her. He could tell she was anxious, that she didn't know exactly what to do and he himself was slightly nervous about what to say to her. He wanted to become her friend, however he also didn't want to do anything that scared her away.

"Oh, I guess so. Well, I should go now." Ryder's face faltered, wondering why she was so keen on getting away from him. He realized, he didn't even know her name.

"Wait! How about that coffee? I don't know anyone here and uh, you seemed friendly." Mikayla looked up at him shocked. He thought she was friendly? Well she wasn't rude, and wanted to make friends but people always shied away from her. Why, she never knew but for some reason they did.

"Well, uh. Okay, there's that coffee shop over there." Ryder smiled at how lovely her voice sounded. He looked to where she was pointed and nodded his head and held out his arm.

"Shall we?" She looked at his arm and hesitantly entangled her own in his.

"Mikayla." Ryder looked down at her confused as they started walking down the street.

"Mikayla?" She smiled and nodded her head/

"'My name. It's Mikayla."

"Oh, it's a beautiful name." Mikayla blushed never been complimented before besides by her own family.

They both headed to the coffee shop, where they shared a very nice conversation. Ryder didn't know that she was so intelligent and so pleasant to be with. He couldn't understand why people didn't like her. Why would people shy away from a beautiful, intriguing woman like her?

They spoke about art, what Ryder did for a living, what Mikayla was going to school for, where Ryder came from and how he was adjusting to life in the big city. Mikayla offered to help him whenever he needed it, because she knew what it was like being alone and Ryder loved how welcoming she made him feel. She was never rude, still apologized for beating him with her book. He loved how she tilted her head to the side whenever she began thinking, or chewed on her bottom lip when he made her nervous. She was someone that he was starting to like a lot.
---

'AHHH! Oh my GOODNESS! Wallie! You will never believe what happened! I think I found a new friend. He's so nice and even paid for coffee! I can't believe he even wanted to have coffee with me.

You know, I think I know why people don't like me. Or rather, get afraid of me. My brother! And my name, my last name haunts everyone. I wish that maybe they could stay out if my life for once but...I don't know. They always worry about me, because they know I talk to you. I don't understand why, you're completely harmless. You'd be the last person that would hurt me.

I would however, have to keep Blurns a secret. Sorry, Blurns.
Mikayla began bouncing the ball against Wallie thinking about her family and her new friend.

You think I should tell him about my family? I mean...it might just scare him off anyways, eh. What do you think I should do?

Ryder heard the ball stop bouncing and wondered what it was Mikayla was talking about. Why would her family scare him away? In his mind, because he saw how interesting she was and how delightful it was to be with her, Ryder decided that he would try and be her friend. She was beautiful and he couldn't help but be entranced by her simple beauty.