Talking To The Wall

004: Knock, Knock. Who's There?

"MICKEY!" Loud pounding was heard, that even woke Ryder up would could hear the loud knocks echo throughout Mikayla's apartment and somehow reached Ryder's ears. "These walls are really thin," Ryder thought to himself as he got up deciding he would make himself a pot of coffee and some breakfast. He wondered who on earth that was next door and wanted to make sure he didn't fall asleep eavesdropping in on Mikayla's private conversation.

"MICKEY!"

"HOLD ON!" Mikayla shouted back, already knowing who it was at the door. She couldn't believe he would even bother her on a weekend like this making so much noise, realizing it was early in the morning.

"Danny? What do you want?" Mikayla questioned as she walked through her apartment into her kitchen to get herself some coffee.

"Well, first of all, Leo tells me he saw you at the coffee shop down the block with some guy?" Mikayla glared at her brother as she turned on the pot and began to make the coffee and went over to the fridge to grab a plum.

"Are you serious? Danny, is it that hard to believe that I made a friend!" Danny shook his head, running his fingers through his sandy blonde hair.

"Mickey, men don't want to be friends! They want to get in your pants!" Mikayla rolled her eyes and bit into her plum.

"Danny, is that all you came here for?" Danny sighed and sat down at her kitchen table knowing she wasn't going to like the next thing that he was going to say. He didn't even like what he was going to say.

"Dad wants you to...uh..." Mikayla looked at him worried about what he was going to say.

"Don't..." Danny bit his lip and nodded his head.

"Again? I told daddy, that I couldn't function with people! They scare me and most of all when I have to wear a stupid dress and daddy's trying to set me up!" Mikayla pouted pouring her cup of coffee really needing it this morning. Ryder could tell she didn't want to do whatever it was that her brother was talking about, when she said, "with people," it got him thinking. She seemed so lively and vibrant with her brother, but when she was with him yesterday at the coffee shop, she was very timid.

"I know, Mickey. I just think dad's worried about you. He doesn't want you to end up alone or anything." Mikayla pouted knowing that her father had good intentions she was just never good with people and socializing. The only reason why she was able to get along with Ryder so well was because he was so open to her, and helped her flow throughout the entire conversation.

"Can't I bring someone? To show daddy that I don't need to be set up and that I'm okay?" Danny bit his lip and thought about it. He knew his sister was a bit odd, she spoke to a wall for goodness sakes! But even so, he loved her for her uniqueness and didn't want their father to just set her up with someone to try and get her to be "normal" as their father called it.

"Okay, bring someone, Mickey but...make sure they know who we are. You know around dad, they would have to watch what they said." Mikayla frowned and nodded her head. This wasn't going to be easy, she didn't want to ask this of anyone, to be put through an ordeal with her family.

"You people ruin having friends with me, you know that! I hate being related to this stupid family." Mikayla shouted and tried to pour herself another cup of coffee but burned her hand in the process letting out a yelp.

"Mickey!" Danny instantly got up and took his sisters hand and ran it under cold water. He saw the silent tears running down Mikayla's facing knowing it wasn't because of her newly burnt hand but because of how different from her family she was and how much her father wanted her to be apart of all that. He wrapped a rag over her hand and brought her close to him to embrace her.

"I'm sorry, Mickey." Mikayla sniffed, leaning into her brother. He was really all she had plus Wallie. Danny was always absent when she was a child because of the age difference but when she began to grow Danny took more notice into the boys that were taking notice at his little sister. He always protected her long before his father told him it was his duty to and he knew he wouldn't have it any other way. He loved his little sister and hated seeing her in pain.

"The last one...I promise." Ryder could tell that something was obviously wrong and wanted to know what was going on exactly. He didn't know much but he knew that right now at this point, Mikayla was unhappy and for some reason, it made him sad.

"You can't promise that, Danny." Mikayla looked up at him and wiped away her tears knowing differently.

"I can try. Listen, I have to go, but I'll call later okay?" She looked up at her brother pursing her lips.

"You won't just come barging in? How sweet of you." Danny glared at her and gave her a slight shove. She giggled and smiled at him knowing he was only worried about her. Danny kissed her forehead and then headed out the door. She sighed and walked into her bedroom and was nearly complete with her wonderful paintings.

You heard all that right? Wallie, what am I going to do? The only person I know is Ryder and I'm too scared to tell him about my family and ask him to go with me somewhere. We just started talking! I can't scare him away like that, who asks someone they just met to go to a family function? Bleh, once I save up enough money I'm going to England! Oh, I know I would be leaving you Wallie, but don't worry, I'm sure i can get my brother to do something. Sure he probably won't be as nice as me and have these wonderful conversations...well, if anything I'll hide you from his womanizing ways.

Well, I'm off to go to the shower, we'll talk later.


Ryder sat there and wondered about her. What was so scary about her family? Sure her brother sounded slightly intimidating but couldn't understand her fear.

But the one thing that stood out in Ryder's mind at that moment as he heard Mikayla turn on the shower, made him smile.

"Mickey?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, let me know your thoughts, comments, or if you have any insight on it! Thank you!