Dreaming of Acceptance

Chapter 9

Image

A few things were certain the next day:
1. Dahlia still needed to talk to Nicholas.
2. Something bad was going to happen if she didn't get Marco thrown out.
3. She hadn't seem him since yesterday in the field, which was always a bad sign.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~

"Father, the Lucreas have already told Dahlia she must marry me. Soon, the Senate will be ours." Marco said in the presence of his father.
"Mine, Marco, mine." his father smiled slyly at him.
If you're wondering who this man is, his name is Aero. Nothing is right about this man, get that straight in your mind. His "better plans" for the "greater good", nothing but bad news for the people of Italy. He planned to have the commoners work for him and have them pay double the taxes then they already had. All to give the King a lavish lifestyle and increase the size of his father's pocket.

Some would lose their homes, other would be servants in the castle. If it was me, I'd rather lose my home. More than half the town would be gone, sent abroad from their original homes, even the Jonas's. That's somewhat what happened to their parents, except they had decided to travel. Paul had offered to watch over he and his brothers and their parents had agreed. So that's why they had kept the bakery, to keep up on wages.

"Once you marry that princess, we'll ship her off to Rome, away from Florence. That way we won't have to deal with her." Aero told his son.
"Yes, father." Marco replied.
"Now, go back to the castle and I'll send for you if need be."
Marco nodded his head once as if a servant himself. He boarded the carriage and rode back to the Castello Pierra.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~

(Dahlia's POV)

I ran over across the field toward the town square, I had to see Paul, he always gave good advice. The grass was cool against my ankles and I ran through the always-familar alleyway and into the square. I walked across the center and over to the Piccola Pistrina. Knocking on the window, I started to get nervous, I told myself it was a risk coming here but I needed advice and to see if Nicholas was here.
Paul smiled and came to the door to open it for me. I smiled back at him, his smile was just too contagious.
Soon though, it disappeared and Paul asked me what was wrong.

"My parents organized an arranged marriage." I said sitting on a stool.
"With who?" he asked sitting adjacent from me.
"Marco." I said bitterly.
"What? Why?" he asked, shocked.
"I'm supposed to be married by eighteen, he was the only one to offer and they took it without second thoughts." I clenched my hand into a fist.
"Do you have anyway to get out of it?"
I shook my head. I didn't have any choice, no matter how much I wanted to. I didn't want this anymore. There was too much obligation, yet I kept back to how much good I could do for the people.

"I'm sorry." Joseph said walking from out of the kitchen.
"It's not your fault." I said half-smiling.
He came over to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders and hugged me sideways. I really needed that. "Thanks." I said.
"No problem." he replied and pulled up another stool.
I layed my head on the table for a minute and then we all heard the door open and close.
I turned around and there stood Nicholas, looking at me.

My heart jumped into my throat as he stood there. I slowly got up and walked over to him. "What are you doing here?" he asked in just a questioning tone, not the harsh I was expecting.
"I needed to come here to talk to your brother, but I'm glad you're here. I haven't seen you for a few days." I said and wrapped my arms instinctly around him.
"Let go." he said to me, trying to shrug me off.
I just now remembered what had happened only four days ago. I let go, unwillingly and looked at his face.

Nicholas walked away from me and back into the kitchen looking as bit as upset as the night of the gala. I walked after him, "Nicholas, please talk to me." I pleaded.
He stopped walking at the end of the room and was about to go upstairs. "Please." I swallowed the lump in my throat.
He turned around and faced me, tearing up. "Why should I?"
"Because, I need you to."
"But why?" he searched my face.

"Because, I'm going to be getting married." I said.
He closed his eyes and hung his head. He was just trying to fight back tears and it wasn't working. I then realized he felt the same way about me. He hadn't forgotten about it even though he'd realized the truth.
"Congradulations." he forced out and turned and went upstairs.
I shook my head. He would never know about what I felt. He didn't care as far as I know.
I walked back out to where Joseph and Paul sat talking. "Can you please give these to Nicholas?" I asked taking out my book and pulled out his sheet music and my memories page. "Tell him, their from somebody who cares about him."

Paul nodded his head as I placed the sheets on the table and pulled the strap of my bag over my shoulder.
"But why?"
I didn't bother to look at him. "He doesn't need to know the reason. Just needs to know to flip the page over." I said and flipped over my drawing. I grabbed a piece of charcoal and wrote a litte note to him.
"Okay." Paul said and took the pieces of paper.

"Well, I've got to get back." I sighed. I was feeling lower than I ever had.
"Just a second." Joseph said and ran back to the kitchen. He came back out with a small towel and handed it to me. "You can have this, you haven't been in for a while. On me." he smiled.
I felt the warmth of fresh bread and pastries through the towel. I smiled at him. "Thanks you."
With that he engulfed me in a hug. Paul did the same thing and smiled at me. "I'll get these to him soon." he said.

"Thank you." I smiled at him and then I headed back to the castle.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~

(Nicholas' POV)

I sat in my room and stared at the ceiling from my bed. I could feel the tears coming back, forcing themselves out of me. I heard somebody coming up the stairs so I wiped them away with my sleeve and saw Paul come through the doorway.
"What is it?" I asked.
"Lia told me to give these to you." he said quietly. "She also said to look at the opposite side of one page." Paul placed the papers in front of me. They just happened to be my sheet music and a page with drawings all over it. "She really cares about you Nicholas" he said as I flipped it over and looked at the note on the backside of it.

Nicholas,

I can give you an explination. I just need
you to meet me at the old oak out in the field.
Please come,

Dahlia


I looked up at Paul who had already left, and I was left sitting in my room by myself and thinking about what to do.

~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~
(Dahlia's POV)

I walked outside and into the bright sunlight of mid-day and walked over to the old oak tree on one side of the field. As I walked closer I could see the shape of a figure sitting up against it. Nicholas?
His eyes were closed and his chest moving up and down in peaceful breathing. I didn't want to wake him but I tapped him on the shoulder. His eyes opened and he looked up at me. "Hello." he smiled and yawned.
"Hello." I smiled with a corner of my mouth and put my bag down so I could sit next to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just found out the other day that the name I used for my character is also the name of a flower haha.