Dude Looks Like a Lady

Chapter 19: Making Up, Not Breaking Up

We sat in silence as we ate lunch, Mikey sitting on a chair and me sitting on Mikey. As we finished I snuggled further into his lean frame and buried my head in the crook of his neck.

“You sure are cute, when you’re full.” He mumbles into my ear.

I laugh and look up at him, kissing his chin softly, “Am I not cute at any other time then?”

He pretends to think about it and jokingly shakes his head at me, as I turn so I’m straddling him and tickle him. He writhes on the chair as he laughs and tries to slap my hands away.

“Lou, stop it! Stop it!” He squeals repeatedly as he tries to catch my hands. As his breathing semi – stops I stop tickling him and eye him nervously. I stand up and gather the plates together glancing outside to see how Frank and Jamia are doing. I almost drop the plates when I see them walking up the house Frank’s arm protectively round Jamia and her head on his shoulder. I’d expected them to make up, but not that quickly!

I smiled slowly and nodded, pointing it out to Mikey who made an “aww” face and began hunting in the fridge for something else to eat. I shake my head and begin loading the dishwasher. I don’t hear the doors open and the first notice I get of Frank and Jamia entering the kitchen is when Frank’s voice fills my ears.

“Thank you so much for helping us through that.” He whispered. I turn in his arms, which are securely wrapped round my waist and laugh.

“It was my pleasure, Frankie. And it’s what friends do! You helped me sort myself out for Mikey and you helped Mikey sort himself out for me. It was the least I could do.” I tell him hugging him back and kissing his cheek. “Go and have fun with her.” I nod at the door slightly and he blushes. I unhitch my arms and he unhitches his, whilst Jamia releases Mikey from her hug. We walk them to the front door and wave them off, smiling.

As Mikey lets the door go and Frank reverses carefully from our drive I snuggle into Mikey. “I like the feeling of having done something helpful.”

He nods, “Yeah, me too.” He wraps his arms securely round my waist, “Without our fighting they wouldn’t be as strong as they are now.”

I smile and kiss his chin, “You need to shrink, Mr Way.” I tell him mock – seriously.

He laughs, “You need to grow, Mrs Way.” I giggle at that, never having realised that I was actually Mrs Way. “What?” he asks, confused as he walks us into the lounge and sits us on the sofa.

“It never occurred to me that I was Mrs Way.” I tell him softly, blushing.

“Well, what else were you?” I shrug and bury my face in the crook of his neck. He laughs and pulls me closer to him. “You wanna watch some T.V.?” I nod softly and turn my face to watch the screen. He kicks his legs up onto the sofa and spreads out, lying across it. I smile as I snuggle down with him, using his arm as a pillow.

I feel completely safe and loved within the circle of his arm, as we snigger at the cartoons on the Disney Channel. People say that after every fight your relationship strengthens. I’d never thought about it any deeper than that. But it’s true. Mikey and I were proof of it, as are Jamia and Frank. That saying’s completely true because after every fight, you realise how lost you are without the person you fought with. How empty, confused and alone. Fights make you realise your love for a person. So although fighting is painful and hearts get broken if you’re meant to be hearts get fixed and are made stronger.

What about Mikey and Alicia they fought? Why didn’t they become stronger?

Because there wasn’t love.