Dude Looks Like a Lady

Chapter 31: "That's Us. The Best Of Us."

“Would I what?” Frank asked confused, looking up from making faces at Lizzie and tickling her.

“Would you be her god father?” Mikey mumbled into my hair, whilst I elbowed him.

Franks face split into a huge grin, “Really? You want me to be her godfather?”

Mikey nods and clambers out from behind me and hugs Frank, “You’ve been so good to us, in the making of Lizzie that this is the least we can do.”

Frank laughs and passes Lizzie back to me, “Wait till I tell Jamia!!” I laugh at him, cuddling Lizzie.

“She’s got news for you too!” I tell him quietly as Lizzie’s eyes close and a little snore escapes her.

Frank nods and heads out of the door, leaving me and Mikey to watch our baby girl sleep. I hold onto her as long as I can before my arms feel heavy and achey from holding an 8 pound baby for about an hour and a half. I pass her to Mikey who grins madly as he holds his baby girl. I shuffle over on the bed so he can perch on there too and I can rest against his shoulder.

“She’s got your bone structure.” Mikey tells me quietly.

I laugh, “And when she’s awake she’s got your eyes. Which is unusual in a new born…” Mikey raises an eyebrow, “Most babies have blue eyes when they’re born.”

Mikey nods and kisses her forehead before putting her in her cot, “Mommy needs some sleep now.” He tells me, kissing my head. “You need to sleep whilst she sleeps.” He tells me smiling, pushing me onto the bed, “Otherwise you’ll never sleep.”

I nod and shuffle under the covers pulling at one of the pillows, so I can hold it, “Hang on…” I push the pillow back under my head and open the blankets, “Hold me as I sleep?” I ask, blushing slightly. Mikey nods and scurries under the covers, holding me closely and kissing the top of my head.

“I love you.” He whispers into my hair. “I missed this so much… holding you as you slept and watching you too. I missed you.”

I look up at him, opening my eyes slowly to make eye contact with him, “I missed you too. I missed being held in my sleep, or having something to cuddle in my sleep. I missed having you in the house with me.” I kiss him softly and smile, “I love you too.” He grins and kisses me, the worry in his eyes vanishing with the return of those three words.

Fall Out Boy are right in some cases, but when you say them and mean them then world takes on a rosier sheen and the world seems warmer and better.

I woke up a couple of hours later to a screaming baby and a cold bed. I struggle my way up the bed and stretch, “Alright Lizzie… Mommy’s waking up.” I sigh as I swing my legs out of bed.

“It’s alright, Lou.” I hear Mikey’s voice and wake up a lot quicker.

“Mikey? I thought you guys were leaving again yesterday?”

“You didn’t sleep through the night. But I do have to go in about three hours, babe. They want to discharge you soon.” He tells me shushing her softly and changing her coverings.

I stand behind him and wrap my arms round him, “How’d you know all this?” I ask him kissing his shoulder blades.

“I watched the nurse when she woke up last time.”

I blush, “I’m sorry babe… I’m just so knackered.” He nods.

“They want someone else to be at home with you…”

“Jamia is!”

He nods, “That’s why you’re being discharged” he tells me. Turning round and kissing me over Lizzie. She screams and Mikey and I break apart. She stops screaming and gurgles at us. I take her in my arms and tickle her softly.

“You’re gonna be an attention seeker, aren’t you?” I ask her softly. She gurgles again and flutters her eyelashes at me. “Oh, she’s gonna be a charmer later. You’re gonna be chasing everyone off her.” I tell Mikey. He grins lopsidedly.

“She has got long eyelashes hasn’t she?”

I nod, “She’s just beautiful.” He smiles and kisses me again. She opens her mouth to scream but I juggle her up and down a bit. She gurgles instead and we continue kissing softly. We look down at her and smile at her.

“That’s us.” Mikey mumbles into my ear. “The best of us.”