Raven

Two

I loved Saturdays. I woke up in my own time, instead of half past five in the morning. That was probably the best difference between weekdays and weekends for me. More sleep is always a good thing. I rolled outta bed lazily, and stumbled into the bathroom. Dammit, I looked like shit. A long shower and many makeup products later, I was ready to venture out of the house.

I got off the train in the city, figuring I’d just walk around for a bit until the gig. I seriously couldn’t wait to be moshing with complete randoms to songs by an awesome band I’d heard about over the internet, Lost Faith. They were a local band, and I liked to be supporting local music. After I’d payed a short visit to a few of my favourite music stores, I was out of things to do. I wasn’t quite sure where the venue was, so I decided to go looking for that. I knew the approximate location, so hopefully I wouldn’t get too lost. I was always awful with directions, always.

Walking around for 2 hours without the slightest idea as to where I was headed wasn’t exactly my idea of fun. I’d had to turn around so many times by now that it was beginning to get frustrating. I came across a street I hadn’t yet walked down, praying that it was the right one. As I walked down a little further and began to hear the pounding of drums, I sighed. Finally. It was still too early to get in, so I sat outside and waited for the venue to open. Getting home tonight would be hell.

As it got darker and more people showed up, I got more excited. The doors opened and after paying, I headed straight to the stage. It wasn’t a very big venue, but it had a great atmosphere. People slowly filed in, and a small pit formed. It wasn’t quite what I had expected, but it’d do. This band was good. I thought they’d have a few more fans.

The first 2 bands to hit the stage were pretty lame. No one really danced, and no one sung along. I guessed this must be their first gig or something. The next band was alright. Loads of people danced, and a few songs in particular were sung along to. Lost Faith were next to play. I hadn’t realised till then, but I was bouncing up and down slightly in anticipation. As soon as the previous band had moved their stuff from the stage, Lost Faith started to set up theirs. A boy just a few years older than me was heaving an amp from backstage. When he came back with his guitar, I realised it was the same boy I’d seen on the train yesterday, the one with the cool guitar case. I smiled at him as he passed, but I don’t think he saw. He didn’t smile back. It was pretty dark in there, that must’ve been it. I cursed myself for not being an annoying train passenger and talking to him when I had the chance.

To my surprise, not many people knew the words to the songs. I, of course, knew every line, and sang along to each song they played. During the chorus to one of their best songs, the boy from the train looked down at me. He smiled, and I smiled back. He definitely saw that one. I kept noticing his gaze on me as I was going nuts in the crowd. It gave me butterflies, and to be honest, made me feel quite self-conscious of what I was doing. I sang a little less, not wanting to seem like the obsessive fan I was.

Their set finished all too soon. I squeezed outta the mosh as soon as they’d finished packing up, having no desire to see the last band play after noticing their vocalist was a girl. She was probably great, but I dunno. I guess I just prefer male vocalists. I decided to sit at the bar for a bit, although I wasn’t able to drink. A little time had passed, and I noticed the boy from the train sitting at the other end of the bar. A part of me was hoping he’d see me and come say hi. I wasn’t sure why. He was a hot guy in one of my favourite bands. Who am I kidding...I know exactly why. I swear I saw him glance over at me, but every time I looked back he’d just look away again. If he wanted me he’d come over, I decided. That made sense.

After a while, I decided to head home. It was getting pretty late, and I didn’t wanna worry my mum. I took one last glance at the boy from the train and then left. I thought I knew the way back to the station, but I guess I didn’t. I soon found myself out the front of some small cafe, praying they’d let me use their phone. The lady at the counter seemed friendly enough.

“Hey uhh, can I use a phone anywhere in here? I’m kinda lost,” I explained.

“Aww hun. Where bouts are ya trying to get to?” she replied.

“The train station,” I said, with a small laugh. She cracked up.

“It’s a 5 minute walk down that way,” she said, pointing in the opposite direction to that I’d come from. “You can’t miss it sweetie.”

“Thanks so much,” I said, smiling and turning to walk out. I walked down the street in the direction she’d pointed and sure enough I was soon faced with familiar sights, the train station being one of them. I know, I’m a 17 year old girl walking around alone in the city at night. It’s dangerous, and I don’t do it often. It’s the only way I could get to the gig. I can’t drive, and my mum always refuses to take me places, saying I should find my own way if I wanna go out. I guess that’s fair enough. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a good caring mother and would be horrified if anything were to happen to me. But she works 2 jobs, and needs all the sleep she can get. Sometimes I wish dad were still around. Then again, sometimes I don’t.

The walk home was horrifying. I kept turning around every 10 seconds, swearing on my life someone was following me. Every time I turned, no one was there. I still continued to check. It was when I heard the footsteps that I bolted down the street as fast as my feet would allow me. My hands were shaking trying to find the right key to the front door. Finally, I got the right one and soon found myself inside and checking that all the windows and doors were locked. I was creeped out. I didn’t sleep well that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this story is pretty random and lame so far...
I'm not too happy with it...
But I think it'll pick up :)