Heaven is Overrated

Heaven is Overrated.

Patrick knew she’d be gone for awhile. He knew the likelihood of her ever coming back was far off, and quite unlikely. He knew that she wasn’t meant to be tied down to a small town, or a big city either. She didn’t want to be stuck anywhere; he knew she wanted to be everywhere she could be; never wearing out her stay. Across the country, around the globe; he could see her sailing the seven seas.

At the moment, though, he was positive he could also see her sitting on the steps in front of the apartment as he approached them, her head focused upward, letting the cool rain fall across her face.

Patrick trekked forward, his jacket pulled tightly around him as he swiftly made his way to her. He hadn’t seen her in years, considering she had left just to be gone. She was sick of being in the same place ever since she was born. She didn’t want to be in Wilmette her whole life. Her and Patrick both knew this.

She had begged him to come with, knowing his companionship would be her biggest strength, even if she had no destination and was penniless.

“Just come with. Come on, we’d never have to worry about anyone else again. Just you and me, coast-to-coast, no rules,” she had pleaded, but Patrick wasn’t sure. Of course, he didn’t want to be trapped in the same town for the rest of his life either, but he didn’t want to give up his family and home. And she understood, she wasn’t going to whine about it or force him to go, granted, she’d asked him a million times and, finally, took his stalling and refusal to give an answer as hints he wasn’t going to go; and she left.

Patrick’s pace quickened every step he took, noting more and more the similarities of the girl on his steps and the girl he’d been in love with since junior high. He knew it had to be her.

He reached the steps and took an abrupt halt. Her eyes were closed, though her head was still focused towards the clouds as the rain poured down. It not only was her; but she hadn’t changed. Three years of traveling the world, and she was still the same.

Patrick cleared his throat, making himself known over the sound of the rain and cars steering themselves across the street. She opened her eyes slightly to catch a glimpse of him, which brought a smile to her face.

“You’re home early,” Patrick kidded, taking a seat next to her; even if it meant soaking his clothes. Talking to her inside didn’t seem appropriate.

She shrugged, not sure what to tell him; she wasn’t even sure if she was here to stay, or was just passing through town. Either way, she knew she had to stop by and see Patrick.

Best friends ever since they can remember, they knew each other better than anyone else, even if they were close to being opposites. But, even they’d found comfort in this. Patrick knew she was closer to the wild side, and he loved being around her; always feeling like he was on his toes and something new was about to happen. She loved being around him; since it gave her a sense of security and let her know, even though she might be everywhere, she still has part of her grounded; his part.

Avoiding the conversation she knew was to come; she smiled and said, “So, what’s new with you?” Patrick laughed at the irony. She was the one who had been gone three years and Patrick had only moved downtown. He had no clue where she’d been and where she’d gone; even though she could obviously still track him down.

“Nothing really,” he said, with a sigh, imagining what his life had been with had he gone. Part of him regretted not going. Three years was a long time, even longer without your best friend. “But you’re the one who’s been gone this whole time, how about you? What’s new with you?”

She chuckled, swinging her car keys around her finger. “You know, just trying to get as close as possible to fulfilling the childhood dream; nothing important or interesting.”

“Ha, right,” Patrick stifled his laugh, “so, really, where all did you go? Ever make the coast-to-coast trip you wanted to make?” His brain quickly resurfaced all the memories of her telling him where she wanted to go; where she wanted to be. They’d seemed impossible at the time, but now, as she sat inches away from him, they all seemed so small.

“Mhmm. It’s a pretty drive, you should try it sometime.”

“Someday. So what about meeting a Vegas Elvis impersonator?” Patrick counted on his fingers the number of things she’d wanted to do, but quickly found he didn‘t have enough fingers, or toes, for that matter.

“I watched him wed a couple that was completely drunk. I swear, that had to have been the worst hangover ever,” she joked, tilting her head back up towards the rain.

“Bungee jumped? Scuba dived? Sneak into a Cheap Trick concert?” Patrick countered, now compiling a list of everything he could remember she’d said, years and years worth.
“Yes, yes, and, well, come on, even I didn’t even get my hopes up on that one.” She shrugged with a smile. “But hey, it’s Cheap Trick, I’m not giving up yet.”

“Of course not.” He took a moment to compose his words before continuing. “Have you gotten an M ‘n’ M in every color? Watched the sunrise on Myrtle Beach? Rafted in the Grand Canyon?”

She smiled carefully. “I still have some M ‘n’ M’s, the pictures from the beach are in the back of my car somewhere, and it took four days to fully dry out from rafting.”

Patrick turned to her, searching her eyes and face for any hint of a lie, but he knew she wouldn’t lie about something like this. These were what she dreamed of doing; these are the things she’d only ever hoped of doing. Patrick knew she wouldn’t lie.

“Jesus, you make me feel lame.” Patrick laughed, though he meant what he said. “What do you mean getting “close” to fulfilling your childhood dream? You’re there.”

She sighed, her smile slipping off her face . “Patrick, heaven’s overrated, the lights in all the pictures aren’t really that bright, and the parties in Hollywood and Vegas are over dramatized. I could have sailed the Atlantic, learned to dance in Spain, and traveled the outback in Australia,” she took a breath and brought her voice down to a whisper, “but it’s just not worth it anymore. I’m ready to be home.”

She leaned back, resting against the steps behind her. Her hair dripped, soaking wet from the pouring rain. Patrick searched for his next words, not sure what to say next.

“You regret it?” he asked back, equally as quiet. She shook her head, slowly at first, then more definitively.

“No, of course not. It was far from a waste. I got to see things that, well, that I couldn’t have dreamed existed. I’m broke, my car’s running on empty, and I feel just as safe and secure as ever. I didn’t regret it. And I’d do it again. What I’m saying… I’m saying I missed you. I’m sick of being away. I don’t want to be the hometown girl that everyone knows her name, but I don’t want to be the girl that know one will recognize in ten years.”

Patrick leaned slightly over, sweeping the same bangs that had framed her pale face ever since she was little out of her eyes, and pushed his lips against hers. She responded quickly, pulling him tighter to her to close any open space between them.

“I’d never forget you,” Patrick promised, as he pulled back just enough for air. She nodded with a small smile still stuck to her face.

“So, you’re back in town for awhile?” he asked jokingly as the rain relented slightly.

“For awhile,” she agreed. He grabbed her hands and pulled her up, guiding her so they’d reach the top of the steps. He kissed her lips, one last time before leading her inside.

Did the wind sweep you off your feet? Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day? And tell me, did Venus blow your mind? Was it everything you wanted to find? And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there?
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics and title credit to Train-Drops of Jupiter