Status: Paused, still waitinng for a title and a more certain direction.

Untitled

Two

The combination of George's wound, Harry's approaching birthday, and preparing for Bill and Fleur's wedding, all aided in the decision for the twins to remain staying at the burrow. Emma, of course, remained with them. Fred and Emma made daily trips to the shop, but always returned back at the burrow in time for supper. She had sent a letter explaining her plans to her mother and sister, hoping they would understand.

With Mad-Eye's death came the unwanted shock that seemed to loom over the house. The entire house hold was weighed with the loss. The back door continued to have a steady flow of Order members relaying news. Almost every night Order members stayed for supper. The meals were awkward, with very little conversation. One evening, Emma had tried to start a discussion by asking Fleur about her wedding gown. The French beauty gave a short, one sentence answer and the table became silent again. Emma hadn't tried since.
One afternoon, sometime after serving lunch to George up in his room, Emma was carrying dirty dishes to the kitchen. As she entered and placed the dishes gently in the battered sink, the muffled voice of Mrs. Weasley caught her ear.

"May I ask why you're abandoning your education?"

Emma tiptoed over to the scullery, where the voices were escaping from. She leaned her body up against the same wall as the doorway to the scullery and listened.

"Well, Dumbledore left me … stuff to do," came Harry's voice. "Ron and Hermione know about it, and they want to come too."

Emma had not known of Harry, Ron, and Hermione's plans to leave school. She wondered what "stuff" Dumbledore could've left for Harry to do, and why Ron and Hermione wanted to help. She also wondered if Fred and George had known of the trio's plans, and, if they had, why they hadn't told her.

"What sort of 'stuff'?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"I'm sorry I can't-"

"Well, frankly, I think Arthur and I have a right to know, and I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Granger would agree!"

Hating the sound of Molly Weasley upset, Emma returned to her spot at the sink and drowned out Harry's response with the running water. Emma was not very skilled with household charms, so she washed the dishes the muggle way, then dried them and placed them back into a cupboard.

When Emma returned to George, Fred had joined him. George sat on his bed, back against the wall. Emma still hadn't gotten used to the gaping hole that used to be his ear. Fred sat on his own cot, legs crossed with his elbow resting on his knee and his head in his palm.

"Boys," Emma greeted with a nod.

George responded with a genuine smile, while Fred on the other hand merely nodded in Emma's direction. Emma, hoping to get any sort of a reaction, sat herself next Fred and wrapped her arms around his torso. To her dismay, when she looked up into his face, Fred's empty eyes remained the same.

"I have a question for you two," she said, not pulling away from Fred.

"And what might that be, my dear lady?" George asked, pushing himself up a bit.

"Did you know about Harry, Ron, and Hermione leaving school?" Emma asked.

"Oh yeah."

"Ron's told us weeks ago."

"We didn't believe him at first."

"But then Hermione confirmed it-"

"and we knew he wasn't lying."

As Fred and George spoke back and forth, Emma saw a hint of the happiness that Fred's eyes had been missing. The thought made her smile up at him. When Fred glanced at Emma, her head against his chest and a grin upon her lips, he couldn't help but smile back. Fred then proceeded to wrap his arm around Emma's shoulders, a new found cheerfulness in him.

"Well I'm glad you two thought to mention it to me," Emma said jokingly. "I do love when you let me in on the important facts of our friend's lives."

"Well we thought you knew," George countered, smiling at his brother's expression. "Anyway, we don't have a problem with it."

"Nicked the idea from us, they did!" Fred bantered jovially.

"You lads didn't miss your entire seventh year. Those three won't even be getting on the train!"

George shrugged and began picking at a thread that protruded from his blanket. "I think that whatever job Dumbledore gave Harry, it must have been important, and it must have been dangerous. Why else would Ron and Hermione want to go? They obviously want to protect Harry in some way."

"I guess," Emma said quietly. "But I'm sure I'll be worried the whole while their gone."

Emma's vocalization sucked the new found cheer from the small room and the resounding gloom returned. Emma immediately regretted voicing her worry. She glanced up at Fred to find his eyes empty and his mouth in a straight line and she hated it. Emma, feeling hopeless, pulled her arms from around Fred's waist and placed her hands in her lap. She remained close to Fred and his arm remained around her shoulders.

"Do…" George started. Emma looked up at him. His brows were furrowed and
his eyes squinted, as though he was in deep thought. Then he took a breath and continued, "Do you think they could…d-" But George couldn't say the word.

"Not a chance." Fred's voice was strong and unwavering and his eyes held determination.

Fred's protective demeanor made Emma want to kiss him, but she pushed the impulse away. Fred had never been in this state while he'd known Emma. He was always the happy, laughing, pranking Fred. He had never been this upset in front of her before and Emma didn't know how to handle it. She had decided early on that she would give Fred his space.

"I should go help Molly in the kitchen," Emma said sliding out of Fred's hold. "I expect she'll be done interrogating Harry now."

Fred's hand caught Emma's wrist before she turned. Emma looked down to see Fred holding his head up to her expectantly. Emma smiled and gratefully leaned down to kiss Fred quickly on the lips. Both she and Fred smiled when they pulled away.

"Oi! Twin still in the room. You guys can make googily eyes at each other when I'm not around." George said from his place on the bed.

Both Fred and Emma gave dismissive 'yeah, yeah's and Emma exited the boys' room. As Emma descended the creaky stairs, a grumbling Harry was ascending them. Emma didn't make and effort to ask why Harry was in a bad mood, but continued on down the stairs. Emma made sure she made it seem like she didn't know Mrs. Weasley was in the kitchen.

"Oh, there you are, Molly!" Emma tried not to sound so obvious. "I was wondering if you needed any help with the wedding preparations."

"Oh, I think Harry, Ron, and Hermione have got most of it," Mrs. Weasley said with a grateful smile. Emma was sure Molly Weasley was overwhelmed with work and that Harry, Ron and Hermione couldn't take the bulk of it.

"Well, I would really like to help. I need something to do," Emma said, hoping Mrs. Weasley would understand.

"Of course, dear. I expect one of the boys will be de-gnoming the garden later. Why don't you help me here until they start? Then you can help them with that?"

"Oh, sure. I'll go grab the rest of the lunch plates off the table," Emma said.

She turned from the kitchen and headed back into the dinning room. Mr. Weasley was still seated at the table, the Daily Prophet clutched in his fingers. Emma tried not to disturb him. His face was contorted in concentration, or worry, Emma didn't know. Either way, she knew not to bother him. She collected the rest of the plates quietly, grimacing every time the glass made a loud clanking sound. Eventually, Arthur noticed the commotion and looked up from the Prophet.

"Emma, dear, I didn't see you there," he said smiling at Emma warmly.

"I didn't want to disturb you." Emma explained, picking up the last of the plates.

"It's no problem, Emma. I'd rather not read about what's going on. With Harry's birthday and the wedding coming up, it's not best to be in a solemn mood."

Mr. Weasley's word's triggered a certain curiosity inside Emma. She placed the pile of dishes back on the table and sat down in the rickety wooded chair diagonal from Mr. Weasley.

"Speaking of that," Emma started, gaining a wondering look from Mr. Weasley. "I was wondering if you could help me out with something."

"Well, that depends Emma. What do you need my help with?"

"It's Fred," Emma stated plainly.

"Ah. I see," responded Mr. Weasley, nodding his head.

"The past few days have been hard for him and he's been so," Emma paused, trying to think of the right word, "down lately."

"Well, you can't really blame him, can you?"

"Oh, I don't, believe me. It's just I hate seeing him upset. I want him to smile again, but I don't know how to make that happen. I've never had to cheer Fred up. It was always the other way around and now I have no idea what to do. I don't know whether to let him heal his own way or comfort him. He's never acted this way since I've known him and I don't know how to act around a somber Fred Weasley."

"I think Fred would want you to talk to him," advised Mr. Weasley. "He's probably worried about George. And he won't talk to George, because he doesn't want to worry him. So, maybe he needs someone else to talk to. Maybe the only other person he will talk to is you." Mr. Weasley gave Emma another warm smile before raising the Daily Prophet to his eyes once again.

Emma whispered a thank you to Mr. Weasley and stood, her chair shrieking as it slid across the floor. She grabbed her pile of dirty dishes once again and re-entered the kitchen. Mrs. Weasley's head was hidden in a cupboard and clicking sounds filled the small room. Emma walked over the where Molly was and crouched down next to her. Mrs. Weasley peeked her head out of the cupboard to glace at Emma with a seemingly forced smile.

"Did you put the dishes in the sink, dear?" Molly asked, standing upright and walking over to the other side of the counter.

Emma stood and nodded at Mrs. Weasley. She then followed her over to the other end of the counter. Mrs. Weasley picked up a small roll of yellowed parchment from the counter and handed it to Emma. Emma took it, giving Mrs. Weasley a curious glance.

"Hemming's just dropped it off as you left the kitchen," Mrs. Weasley explained.

"My sister's owl was here?" Emma asked skeptically. She knew owls were being
intercepted all the time now. That - and the fact that the burrow was under great protection - made Emma suspicious.

"I know. It worries me too," Mrs. Weasley said. "Go read it. I'll be fine."

"You sure?"

Mrs. Weasley nodded before shooing Emma out of the kitchen. Emma walked through to the living room and up the stairs. She turned into the hall where the girls' room was located and was surprised to see the door shut. She nearly always left it open. Emma convinced herself that Ginny or Hermione had shut it. But when she opened the door she knew it wasn't one of the girls who had shut it. Fred was slumped in Emma's bed. A look of deep thought made creases in his forehead.

"Fred?"

Emma's voice startled him. Fred's head shot up and hit the wall behind him. He let out a groan and lifted his hand to his head. Emma chuckled lightly and fully entered the room.

"Emma."

"My sister sent me a letter," Emma stated bluntly. Fred connected his eyes with Emma's. They gave each other worried looks as Emma approach the cot.

Fred scooted over closer to the wall so the Emma had room on the cot. She took a seat, facing Fred. Her trembling hands pulled at the thread holding the parchment in its tube form. Emma let the string fall to the floor and unrolled the parchment.

Emma,

Your father has found us. You-Know-Who has offered him our protection in exchange for information on Harry. We don't know what he said, but I would warn Harry and the others. I don't have much time to write this, so I can't explain.

Love and luck
Mum


Emma felt her heart drop to the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still need a title.
If anyone would like to make a suggestion, it's welcome.
I know you don't have much to go on, but I really am drawing a blank.
I was also thinking of just posting something to give you guys an idea of how Fred and Emma fell in love, just incase you were intersted in knowing or think it might help you with the title bit.