Last Resort

Through Fire and Flames

*Normal POV*

The plane, up until now, was flying smoothly – we were allowed to move around wherever we wanted and listen to loud music while essentially partying in midair. I guess the tranquility and relaxed atmosphere that had been present wasn’t meant to last forever.

The pilot’s nervous and shaky voice came onto the loud speaker and overpowered the speakers. “Attention ladies and gentlemen…we have entered the eye of the storm and turbulence is unavoidable. Please sit down immediately and buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.”

We all scrambled into the nearest seats like it was a game of musical chairs. Plane crashes were possible, and none of us really wanted to participate in one.

“It’s like this storm came out of nowhere,” Matt remarked, looking out the window.

We followed his stare and saw that the sky behind us was perfectly fine, but yet there was a huge ass black cloud literally hovering over the upcoming island…that can’t be our island right? That’s got bad omen written all over it!

“We’ll be fine,” Johnny said confidently, as if he could predict the future or something.

I was sitting in between Brian and Jimmy. I wrapped both of my arms around each of theirs but it still wasn’t enough to calm me down.

“What’s up, Ash?” Jimmy asked.

“I…I never really was a fan of planes. I always was afraid they w-were going to crash.”

Brian and Jimmy both moved in a little closer to me. Brian whispered, “Calm down ok, baby? We will protect you, but besides this plane is going to be fine.”

Brian was more of a jinx than he was ever willing to admit…

Suddenly the plane took what felt like a complete nosedive heading for that island with the black cloud over it. We were flying down at an alarmingly fast rate…so much so that I could swear the pilot was crashing the plane on purpose. Alarms starting going off like crazy as breathing masks descended from the ceiling.

Everyone desperately reached for theirs…and everyone got them except for Emily, the shortest of us all. Her seatbelt was holding her down from being able to reach up for it. Her choked screams filled the air as the plane continued its un-natural path. Matt saw what happened with Emily and took off his mask giving it to her.

To survive though, they would have to exchange the mask every minute or so, which might be harder than it sounds in such a hectic situation. And it was about to get worse.

The hinges on the emergency exit began squeaking, which was hard to hear in between all the commotion – but I somehow managed to hear it. With a concerned expression, I glanced over at the door, which hadn’t been properly locked, as it flew off its hinges and out into the storm.

Then, it was like a huge vacuum had been activated. CD’s, DVD’s, stereo equipment and a few of our bags were being sucked out the door. We all screamed as we clutched the nearest item to hold ourselves down, mostly our armrests. I squeezed my eyes shut and felt my knuckles burn as I held on as tight as I could. This cannot be happening!

“I WANT TO GO HOME!” Sabrina shouted, expressing all of our thoughts at the time.

With fear consuming my body, I still managed to glance over my shoulder to look out the window. Land was in reach and we were about to make contact with it.

A large, red alarm-like light began beeping and flashing…creating a red tint in the room. The wind picked up now as more and more objects were being ripped from around us. The wind blew my hair all around, causing loose strands to lash at my face like whips. My heart felt like it was about to pound right out of my chest as the air pressure continued to decline.

And finally we smashed into the ground.

*The Pilot’s POV*

Despite the fact that Jacoby had guaranteed our safety…I still had a bad feeling about it all. I just wanted to get this over with. The storm had already pushed us downward, so all I would need to do is accelerate until we reached the ground. And that’s exactly what I did.

The plane continued to fly down on a straight horizontal path, heading for a nice sandy beach with lots of space to land. An emergency light flashed on suddenly, and I was intending to ignore it. Of course it would go on…the damn plane was about to crash.

James, on the other hand, couldn’t ignore it. “Mark, don’t you think I should go check out what’s going on back there? That emergency light only activates for a certain list of events, and crashing is not on that list.”

“No,” I shook my head sternly, “this hell trip is almost over with. Whatever is going on back there is their problem now.”

Even though I sounded and looked serious about this all, I was just about as ready as James to check back there and hell I’d even be ready to turn the plane around and head for a legit vacation island. But it was too late to turn around now. We were mere feet from the ground.

“Hold on tight, James, it’s going to be a rough landing,” I said as the nose of the plane met the sand.

Yet another light blinked on as the large aircraft skidded across the beach. It was the fuel light. “Wow, did we really just run out of gas just in time like that?” James asked, breathing heavily.

“Well, if that is the case then I suppose we got lucky. Now let’s get the hell out of here.”

As I stepped out of my chair, my feet splashed in some liquid. “Do you smell something?” I asked. All too late did I realize…the gas tank had leaked into the cockpit.

“RUN!” I screamed, pushing James toward the door.

I grasped the door handle, but it refused to budge. The TV screen that was in the back of the cockpit lit up and Jacoby’s face filled the screen. “Hello Mark and James. When you get this message that means you have successfully crashed the plane as asked of you. Well…unfortunately I can no longer guarantee you your lives. You chose money over good virtue which is just all too common in this world of ours. I’m sorry but you will not be able to leave this plane. Thank you for all your hard work…this couldn’t have happened without you.”

My eyes widened in rage with each word he spoke. “You two-timing bastard!”I shouted, throwing an unused engine piece that had been on the floor over at the TV screen.

“What are we going to do?” James asked, his voice shaky and scared.

I scanned the room. We could break through the windows, but then from there that would be a high jump. We could go back into the passenger area and get out that way…yes, that seems like our best choice.

“Let’s go out through their section back there. And make it quick…if that’s gasoline below our feet, then we don’t have much time.”

My palms were sweating as I walked over to the back door. Up until now, the engine had been dully roaring and sputtering. As soon as I reached the door knob, my fingers slid off of it…I was simply too nervous to focus enough to open a god damn door. Suddenly, the roar of the engine died out with a pathetic puff of smoke. It got too quiet all of the sudden…

“Mark, I don’t think that’s a good sig–,” James began to say. But it was too late.

The plane was engulfed in the flames, and the area that was on fire the most was none other than the cockpit. It was a trap from the start, a fiery furnace designed for our deaths and ours alone. And the worst part was, being burned alive didn’t kill you quickly. It only made you scream until your voice was decimated.

*Normal POV*

The minute the plane hit the ground, two things happened. One, the smell of gasoline filled the air. And two, the metal outside of the plane scraped against the sand and began to curl and crunch inward. “Guys, the walls are closing in! Get out of your seatbelts,” Brian announced.

We wasted no time in doing so as we sat in the middle of the plane, watching the walls squish the seats into pieces where we had just been sitting. Our bodies were tossed back and forth across the floor until the plane came to a halt. Everything was silent except for the sound of the engine slowly dying.

Voices could be heard in the cockpit, but no one could make out exactly what was being said. The door handle leading into our half of the plane began to jiggle slightly for a couple of seconds until the movement suddenly stopped. From under the door, I saw bright bursts of orange color.

Smoke detectors soon followed and the overhead sprinklers activated, drenching us…even though we weren’t the ones on fire. The detectors and sprinklers did absolutely nothing to block out the screams coming from the other room nor did they save the lives of the two young pilots.

I looked down at my arms and legs to see scrapes and gashes seeping blood. But I couldn’t even bare to think about that…not after knowing that two men are dead and that we could be next in any given second.
♠ ♠ ♠
how will the viewers back home react to this shocking new reality show? and will everyone be able to survive day 1 on the island? find out in the next chapter!

3-5 comments please