Path of Destruction

The Storm

Image
Joe slowed his vehicle to a crawl as he leaned forward trying to see the road through the rain that seemed to coat his windshield in an impenetrable haze. His grip tightened on the steering wheel and he let out a quiet curse as he felt the heavy SUV begin to hydroplane on the puddle of water collected on the asphalt of the old country highway. As the vehicle straitened out a bright flash filled the dark interior followed by a bone rattling thunder that caused Joe to flinch.

When his mother had called asking him to pick up Frankie from the babysitters it has seemed like an easy enough task; after all the place wasn’t all that far from their home and would take hardly any time to reach. He could go there, pick up Frankie and be back home in half an hour tops.

The one thing Joe had not accounted for was the weather. Joe had seen his fair share of bad weather over his life time but he had never had to drive in anything quite like this.

As the rain slowly slacked off Joe sent a silent thank you up as he increased his speed and quietly turned his radio to a local station. The haunting voice of his ex-girlfriend filled the interior of the SUV causing Joe to scowl before quickly switching over to another station.

The annoying tones of a weather warning began to sound through the speakers, “The National Weather Service in Dallas has issued a sever thunderstorm warning for the Dallas, Fort Worth area until ten thirty P.M.

At six fifty nine P.M. a sever thunderstorm was located twenty miles west of Dallas and moving east, north east at fifty five miles and hour. This storm is capable of producing strait line winds in access of seventy miles an hour as well as golf ball sized hail.

Doppler radar has indicated some weak rotation within this storm. While not immediately likely a tornado may still develop. If a tornado is spotted act quickly and move to a place of safety in a sturdy structure away from doors or windows; such as a basement or bathroom.

This has been as National Weather Service announcement,” As the annoying beeping was replaced by the slightly more annoying sound of his ex-girlfriends new single once again Joe turned the radio off and glanced up at the sky in confusion. The weather seemed to be getting better to him not worse. Shaking his head to clear it; he spotted his turn, slowed down and hit his turn signal.

As he made the turn onto the street he began counting drive ways. One, two, three; he swiftly turned into the fourth and slid the vehicle in park. Just as he opened his door the heavens opened once more in a heavy down poor followed swiftly by loud tings from the chunks of ice currently pelting his car. Joe groaned as he banged his head on the steering wheel; this just didn’t seem to be his night. Sighing to himself he quickly shoved his phone into his pocket as far as it would go, pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose, pulled his hoodie up to cover his head and quickly made a run for the front door.
He tensed up as the ice pelted his body in what he was sure would leave quite a few bruises. He quickly made his way up the front steps, skidding once he reached the porch; he came to a sudden stop by smacking into the door with a resonating bang. Grabbing a hold of the door frame to steady himself Joe tried one more to knock; this time the correct way.

As he let his hand fall to his side he heard the pounding of feet on stairs shortly followed by the sliding of a lock; stepping back he slipped his hands into his pocket and watched as the door swung open. Once he was greeted by the presence of the person on the other side he blinked in surprise.

When his mom said babysitter, he was picturing an older matronly woman; not the girl standing in front of him. She was his age at least with long flowing brown hair and the most gorgeous set of blue green eyes he had ever seen that currently had a lock of hair sweeping across them from the strong winds of the storm.

She looked up at him in confusion, “You’re not Denise.”

Joe laughed, “I’m Joe; my mom couldn’t make it, so she sent me to pick up Frankie.”

The girl nodded, “okay.”

“So, where is he?” Joe asked.

The girl shook her head to clear it, “Right, he’s in the basement; we were playing Go Fish. Follow me.”

As Joe stepped into the house he pulled his hood of and shook out his wet hair casting water onto the wooden floors.

The girl turned to him with a blank look, “Oh don’t mind the floors.”

Joe shrugged sheepishly as he followed her towards the stair case leading to the basement. He was slightly confused by this girl; she was either a little ditzy or slightly star struck and he couldn’t figure her out. The conversation had been needless to say awkward and she didn’t even so much as give him her name.

The silence on the staircase was so deafening that Joe could hear the storm raging wildly outside. As he watched her descend the stairs in front of him he found himself almost wishing she was a star struck teeny; at least then he would know how to handle her.

One thing that hadn’t escaped his notice was that she wasn’t wearing a stitch of make up which was unusual for a girl her age, but Joe found himself preferring it. She was breathtaking if he was completely honest, and that thought alone made Joe slightly nervous.

He didn’t need to be interested in a girl right now; not after Taylor, especially not after Camilla. He needed to just stay single and focus on his career. It seemed to be working for Nick so why couldn’t it work for him right?

As she turned to him and smiled he gulped nervously finding that he needed to reassure himself that he wasn’t interested. Lucky for Joe fate decided to step it at about that time.

“Was I out of line? Did I say something way to honest
That made you run and hide like a scared little boy?
I looked into your eyes, thought I knew you for a minute
Now I’m not so sure…”


The girl reached into her pocket and pulled out her cell phone.

So it was like that.

Sighing to himself Joe looked past the girl and spotted his brother watching TV, “Hey Tank you ready to go buddy?”

Frankie walked over to Joe, ‘Aw man, I guess but I was finally beating Mia; oh well I guess there’s next time right Mia.”

Joe looked back at the mystery girl as she placed her cell phone back into her pocket; so her name was Mia.

She looked a little dazed, “Huh, oh yeah there’s always next time.”

Joe gave her a forced smile, “Well thanks for watching him and sorry for any inconvenience; mom’s plane got redirected because of the weather and it took her a while to get a hold of me.”

Mia waved her hand in indifference, ‘It was no problem Frankie is a delight to keep.”

Joe nodded as he turned towards the stairs, “Right so I guess we’ll be going now.”

“No! You can’t leave.” Mia blurted as she blushed lightly.

Joe turned to her in confusion, “And why is that?”

Mia quickly looked towards the ground and blushed while Joe continued to stare. He was beginning to wonder if she wasn’t crazy teeny bopper after all.

Mia sighed, “It’s just the weather is really bad and it’s not really safe to drive in and well; I don’t like to be by myself during bad weather.”

Mia looked at him once more, “Will you please stay, just until it calms down?”
Frankie nudged Joe in the side, “Be nice,” He whispered.

Joe sighed, “Oh all right but just until it calms down okay.”

Mia grinned up at him, “Thanks.”

Joe flinched and Mia jumped as thunder rattled the windows and the lights went out.

Joe chuckled as Frankie clung to his side. He reached down and ruffled his hair, “its okay Tank, it’s just a little storm; it’ll be over soon.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure of that,” Mia said as she turned on a flashlight and pointed it at them while quickly tossing another to Joe.

“W-what do you mean?” Frankie asked quietly.

“Well Texas is a part of tornado alley for a reason. Storms like this are really unpredictable and can intensify like that,” she added as she snapped her fingers for emphasis.

Joe groaned as Frankie whimpered and wrapped his arms tighter around him, “Way to scare the little kid,” He snapped.

Mia rolled her eyes, “What, I’m just telling the truth; he should be scared the weather isn’t something you should underestimate.”

“Whatever,” Joe hissed as he pulled Frankie to the couch and placed him in his lap.

Mia sighed, “Look I’m sorry I scared his but I’m serious; why do you think I wanted you to stay?”

Joe felt himself loosing his patience as her cell hone rang again, “Oh please you’re probably just some crazy fan and just wanted to keep me here so you could try and have your way with me.”

Mia scoffed as she checked her phone, “Okay first off, cocky much and secondly despite what you think not all girls are fans of yours.”

“Oh really? I bet if I looked in on your iPod I’d find at least one of our songs.” Joe replied.

“I’m not denying that; I used to be a fan, not so much now.” She replied calmly as her phone rang once again.

Joe growled in frustration, “If you insist on keeping us here on under the pretence of this storm the least you could do is change your ring tone.”
“What you mean this?” She asked as she purposely let the song play longer.

Joe tightened his hands into fists, placed Frankie on the couch and stood up; she was really trying his patience.

“You know it serves you right that she wrote that song about you; you treated her like crap.”

Joe bit the inside of his cheek to keep from yelling, “Right and she was just a poor innocent bystander.”

“You broke up with her over the phone in twenty seven second; come on how could she not be angry?” She yelled.

“She hung up on me! I tried calling her back, she didn’t answer.” Joe yelled as he finally lost his battle with his temper.

“You could have at least done it face to face.”

Joe sighed, “You’re right I should have but with both of our schedules as crazy as they were it just wasn’t working out; we both knew it was over, she just didn’t want to admit it.”

“Well you still shouldn’t have cheated on her.” Mia added.

Joe rolled his eyes, “I didn’t cheat on her.”

“Right so you weren’t spotted with Camilla shortly after Taylor told the press that you broke up.”

“Oh come on Mia you’re smarter than that; all of that was a little too strategically planned don’t you think?”

“What do you mean?” Mia asked confused.

Joe sighed, “Mia, I broke up with Taylor exactly two months before her album dropped; don’t you think it’s kind of funny that she waited until the day that it dropped to let that little bomb drop.”

“And Camilla?”

“We went on our first date a week after Taylor’s album release.” Joe replied quietly.

“And then you dumped her too didn’t you.”

“Do not talk about things you know nothing about,” Joe stated slowly in a deadly voice.
“Whys that Joe? She asked as she looked up at him.

Joe stared at the wall trying to keep his temper in check as Mia started to laugh.

“Oh, oh man this is rich; she broke up with you didn’t she? What did she leave you for vampire?”

“Try I went to her apartment to surprise her and found her in bed with him.” Joe whispered.

Mia scoffed, “Well, you know what they say about Karma.”

Joe couldn’t take it anymore; finally he let his temper get the best of him, “You know what I don’t have to explain myself to you; I’m out of here,” Joe yelled as stomped towards the stairs.

“Come on Frankie, we’re going home.” He yelled behind him.

Frankie began to whimper from his place on the couch when Mia noticed some thing odd. She motioned to Frankie to be quiet as she tried to place a finger on it, and as Joe opened the basement door the realization hit her like a tone of bricks.

She could no longer hear the rain like before and she rushed towards the stairs a low rumbling reached her ears, “Joe wait!” She yelled as she took the stairs two at a time.

“What?” He yelled clearly annoyed. “Do you have anything else to accuse me of?”

“You need to come back down stairs now, please Joe hurry!” She begged.

“And why should I?” He asked as he took in her wide panicked eyes.

“The weather, listen to it do you hear that?” She asked.

Joe listened and rolled his eyes, “It’s just a train.”

Mia began to panic, “There’s no train around here Joe.”

“Then what is it?” He asked as worry began to seep into his tone.

Mia yelled and Joe wrapped her in a protective hold as the front window shattered.

“Down stairs now!” Joe yelled as he pushed her towards the basement.

As Joe pushed the door shut the rest of the windows shatter and he could now hear the winds thundering tone quite clearly.

Reaching the bottom step Joe made a beeline for the now sobbing Frankie while Mia looked around searching for cover. When the house began to creak and groan she came to a quick decision and pulled Joe toward the pool table her father had pushed in the corner.

Ducking under it quickly she reached out for Frankie, “Alright Frankie sit with your head on your knees and cover your head with your hands; Joe I need you to help me cover him okay.

Joe nodded as he sat down and wrapped his arms around hers; just as they ducked their heads near Frankie’s they heard an almost ripping sound as the house began to shake.
Joe closed his eyes and took a deep breath as all hell broke loose.

There is no way to completely descried those ten minutes of pure hell they had to endure; Frankie would later claim that he didn’t remember any of it but it was something neither Joe nor Mia would ever forget.

The first thing is the sound. It’s a loud roar with a sickening sucking noise making it sound like it’s alive. Then the second thing is the smell; it’s an overpowering smell of dirt tinged with an almost burning smell. The last thing that is more prevalent than anything is the pain.

The wind rips at you almost like a fire hose. Your clothes are quickly torn to shreds and as the debris and dust pelt you from all angles; it feels almost as thousands of tiny needles are sticking you all over your body. The pain is white hot and the adrenalin rush mingled with fear is almost mind numbing.

As Joe later thought over the events of that night he would remember hearing Mia and Frankie’s terrified screams as the pool table that has been covering them slid a few feet before being picked up and the terror that those screams inflicted upon him. He would remember the feeling of Mia beginning to slip from his grasp and tightening his grip on her digging his fingernails into her flesh refusing to let go. He would remember his own pain filled scream as a beam landed across his leg pinning him to the ground. He would remember praying for God to protect them; but mostly he would remember the deafening silence that surrounded them when it was over.

At first it didn’t really register in his mind that is was over; not until the burning pain mixed with Frankie’s terrified sods registered in his mind. Slowly he lifted his head to survey the damage; they had been lucky. From what he could see most of the house was destroyed, the one wall that had remained intact was the one they were currently sitting against.

Pulling some debris off of them he looked at the two people beside him, “Is everyone okay,” he asked as he tried to stand up only to wince in pain.

“Is it over?” Frankie whispered between sods.

“It’s okay Tank, you’re safe now,” he added as he wrapped his arms around his little brother.

“What about you Mia; are you alright,” He asked as he glanced up at the shaking girl.

“Yeah j-just a few cuts and bruises; what about you?” She asked as she pulled some random debris off of them and stood up.

Joe hissed in pain as he tried to move his leg, “My leg is stuck; do you think you can help me lift the beam off of it?”

Mia bent down to grasp the beam, “on the count of three; one, two, three!” She yelled as they lifted it enough for Joe to slide his leg out from under it.

Joe hissed in pain as he stood up and balanced against the wall as Mia looked for their possible escape out of the destroyed home, “We can try and squeeze through that tiny window, or what’s left of it.”

Joe nodded as he limped towards it, “Alright, Frankie you first,” He stated as he lifted Frankie towards the high opening in the wall.

Joe pushed with all his might as Frankie scrambled through the hole. When he made it through Joe sighed in relief; now all he had to worry about was getting Mia as well as his self out. He didn’t know if he was going to be able to crawl through, with the way his leg was hurting. He was pretty sure he wasn’t going to be able to get the leverage he needed to reach it; he just hoped Mia and Frankie could help.

Frankie swiftly disappeared from in front of the opening causing Joe to panic, “Frankie? Stay right here, we’ll be out in just a second okay.”

“Joe I see a fire truck coming this way, do you want me to go get help?” He asked as he put his face back into the opening.

“No just stay right here okay; I’m sending Mia through now.” Joe added as he pushed Mia upwards the best he could.

When Mia wrapped her hands on the edges of the opening they all heard a loud groan followed by a cracking noise then a crash. Mia shrieked in fright as she fell back into Joe and Frankie yelled in panic.

“Frankie are you alright?” Joe yelled as he struggled to sit up.

“I-I’m fine but something fell in front of the opening and I can’t move it; Joe you can’t get out, what do I do?” Frankie began to cry.

Joe took a calming breath, “Frankie, I need you to calm down, alright. Its okay, we’re okay. Just take a deep breath and tell me what you see.”

“Th-the house is gone, just a bunch of broken wood. Joe, you-your car is upside down in the tree; the neighbors house on the left is gone too, most of the right one is still standing. There’s a big piece of wood covering the window and I tried Joe, I did try to move it b-but I’m not strong enough,” Frankie started to cry again.

“Frankie listen to me, you’re doing good okay. Tell me can you still see the fire truck?” Mia asked from her spot next to Joe.

“Y-yeah, it’s stopped in the road up ahead; I think I hear chainsaws.” Frankie added with a sniffle.

Joe sighed, “Frankie we need you to go get help okay but I need you to promise me that you’ll be careful.”

“Please just watch where you step and stay as far away from any sort of wire alright,” Mia added.

“O-okay,” Frankie replied.

“Hey Tank?” Joe called.

“Yeah Joe?” Frankie called back.

“I love you.”

“I love you too Joe; I’ll be right back I promise.” Frankie replied before Joe and Mia were graced with the quiet sounds of his foot falls as got further away from them.

Mia shifted to get more comfortable causing Joe to hiss in pain, “What, what is it?” She asked in panic.

“It’s just my leg, I think I broke it,” Joe relied as he squinted his eyes in pain.

“Joe I am so sorry this is all my fault,” Mia cried as she grabbed his arm.

Joe sighed, “Mia, it’s not your fault in fact you probably saved our lives; if you hadn’t asked me to stay then we would have been on the road with no cover, so thank you.”

Mia started to cry, “I was such a colossal bitch to you; you must hate me.”

Joe chuckled, “That you were, but I wasn’t much better and I don’t hate you.”

Mia scoffed, “That’s not true; you were perfectly nice to me until I brought up your ex.”
Joe rubbed the back of his neck, “Yeah, my love life has been a bit of a sore subject lately.”

“I’m sorry Camilla cheated on you; if it makes you feel any better, I think she’s completely nuts to have let you slip through her fingers like that,” Mia added as she rested her head on her knees.

“Thanks; what about you, how’s your love life?” Joe asked nudging her shoulder the best he could.

Mia laughed outright, “Ha, what love life?”

“Oh come on someone as pretty as you there has to be someone,” Joe added with a smirk.

Mia was thankful that it was so dark, “You’re enjoying this aren’t you?”

Joe laughed, “It’s kind of nice to be the one asking the questions instead of answering them.”

“Well to answer your question, there was someone but well, there’s a reason that Forever and Always is my ring tone.”

“And here I thought it was because it was about me,” Joe replied with a grin.

Mia giggled, “You wish Jonas.”

“Ah and there’s the Mia I’m used to,” Joe chuckled.

Mia poked him in the side, ‘Oh shush you.”

Joe turned serious as the house creaked, “Do you think Frankie is okay? I’m starting to get worried.”

Mia wrapped his hand in hers and squeezed, “I’m sure he’s fine; he’s probably on his way back right now.”

Joe sighed, “I hope your right; I swear if anything were to happen to him I don’t know what I’d do.”

“He’ll be fine Joe,” Mia whispered as she wrapped an arm around him.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a while before Joe broke it, “So I’d have to say as far as impressions go, you’ve made quite an interesting one.”

Mia laughed, “That’s an understatement.”

“So how would you feel, once this is all said and done; how would you feel about going to dinner with me?”

“What like a date?” Mia asked as her voice cracked.

“Yes like a date but I’m inclined to add that it may or may not be such a great idea seeing as how I’ve had such bad luck in that area lately.”

“How about I give you an answer once we get out of here,” Mia questioned as she heard the sounds of foot falls once more.

“Hello, is anyone in there?” A man called as they heard the debris being shifted.

“Yes over here!” Joe and Mia yelled as Mia helped him stand up.

“What your names?” The man asked.

“Their names are Joe and Mia,” Frankie’s muffled voice stated.

“Is anyone hurt?” The man questioned.

“My leg’s pretty banged up but I can put a little weight on it,” Joe called as light began to poor through the opening.

The man stuck his head into the opening “Alright then Mia you first grab my hands and I’ll pull you up.”

Joe boosted Mia up and pushed as the man pulled her through once her feet cleared the opening Joe heard the happy cries of Frankie.

‘Alright Joe your turn, I need to wrap your arms around mine and push up as best you can with out putting too much weight on that leg, okay”

Joe nodded as he reached up and grabbed the mans arms. As he began to push up he let out a cry of pain and then before he knew it he was on the ground panting.

“Joe?” Frankie cried in relief as he kneeled beside him.

“Hey buddy,” Joe said as he ruffled Frankie’s hair.

“Let me help you over to the truck, you can wait for the EMT’s there.” The man stated as he helped Joe up and wrapped a supportive arm around him.

Joe nodded as he limped his way towards the truck with Mia and Frankie following in his wake. As they reached the large vehicle the man helped Joe sit down and motioned for Mia and Frankie to sit beside him.
“EMT’s should be here soon,” He called as he hurried back to help the others.

Joe sighed as he leaned against the truck and closed his eyes.

“You okay,” Mia asked as her hand found its way into his.

“I’ll be fine, you?” He asked looking down at her.

“I no longer have a house but over all I’m okay.” Mia stated.

“So what do you say Mia, we’re out of the basement now.”

Mia laughed, “Yes Joe, my answer is yes.”

A few years’ later when interviewers would ask Joe what exactly was so special about his fiancé and he would always eagerly answer that she had save his life and every single time this story would be told. The path of destruction had been over two miles wide from the storm and yet they had survived.

Two teens, who absolutely despised each we’re brought together on that fateful night and here they stand a few years later, happily in love because sometimes it takes something as big as a path of destruction to lead you to the one you love.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this idea would not go away and I just had to write it down!! So what did you think???? Be on the look out for a new chapter in Hello Nurse Meet Kevin Jonas soon !!!!

As always, reviews are much appreciated!!!