What if I Never See You Again?

"Picture your best friend. Your bestest friend in the whole world. Got him? He's pretty amazing, isn't he? He's been there for as long as you can remember. You can tell him anything and everything going through your head and he doesn't even mind.

"He didn't go running that one time when you showed up at his doorstep drunk, claiming he was your baby's daddy. He even helped you through the hangover and graciously convinced you that- no- you weren't pregnant. He's always there for you, knows practically everything about you, he's seen you when you felt so utterly happy that you could fly, and been there to catch you when you couldn't. Yea, He's one hell of a guy.

"Now, take a closer look... What do you see? He's always been a shoulder to cry on. You could trust him with your life and he respects your values enough to sometimes ignore his when you needed him. He's always been there for you, always...Always will be there. He loves you.

"And you love him.

"It's funny how people can throw that word around so carelessly and not even realize it's power. It's wonder.

"When you tell him you love him, do you put your whole heart into it? Every essence of you soul?

"What's the difference when you say 'I love you, but I'm not in love with you'? Besides a few tears?

"How can you tell?

"Do you love a friend the same you love family? The same way you love a lover?

"Or does love just simply mean that you don't have to worry about how you're acting or how you look around that person because you know they'll love you. . . . No matter what."


Song fic based on Alicia Keys' song Like You'll Never See Me Again

Originally written as a Christmas one-shot (which will immediately become apparent) but I feel like putting it up now. : ]

.<3
  1. The Lyrics.
    This is n o t the story.
  2. Part One
    You just know when you share a heart with somebody.