The Alliance

Protection

My breath was caught in my throat as he murmured those words. /Nice try, though./ As if I were a weak child, failing hopelessly. I licked my dry lips as I attempted to recollect myself. "Who are you?" The man released his breakneck grip on my wrist, making me collapse against the wall. He grunted softly, turning his back to me while he walked to the couch. I had heard his name when he was talking to another woman. G.. Grady. My eyes flickered up to him, my hand encircling my wrist. "Dominic." I heard the man reply. I raised a suspicious brow. He was hiding something. "Alright. Dominic,. Why the hell am I here?"

It looked like he was the star of some television drama, and here he was, standing in front of the camera with no lines. He opened his mouth to reply, then closed it. It was like he was trying to come up with lines lies on the spot. "I was hiking outside, I found you passed out in the snow." He finally said, looking quite proud of his fabrication. "Right." I murmured. "Well, thanks, I guess. Just give me my coat, and I'll be off." Dominic turned around and picked up the fleecy skin coat my grandmama had sewn me, even long before I was born. It was remarkable she estimated my sizes properly, though you were usually only one of two sizes in Alaska.

He tossed the heavy item to me. I grunted and navigated my head through the opening, slipping my hands through the sleeves. My hand instinctively flew to the right hand pocket, expecting to hear the crumple of paper. All I could feel was more fur. My hand delved into the pocket out of pure panic, and glanced up at Dominic. My eyes froze on him when I saw him standing casually, the alliance treaty in hand, balancing it on his cheek. "Something wrong?" He asked, mock terror in his voice.

I pressed my lips into a taut line. I had to get that back from him. "Give it to me." I stated, holding my hand out for it. Dominic played innocent. "Give what back to you?" I growled underneath my breath. The alliance was supposed to be a secret. But now that the treaty was in danger, he had to know of the consequences. "If you don't give that back right now, Anaktuk is in grave danger. Kangik will move to destroy us."

"Oh, really? I'm sorry. I just don't think it's a good idea you leave just yet." I crossed my arms over my furry coat. "Yeah? Why is that?" Dominic exhaled gently, sitting down on the edge of the couch. "I haven't been telling you the full truth. I didn't find you passed out. You were attacked by somebody." Attacked.. attacked.. attacked...

A mile of snow appeared before my eyes. Bloodthirsty eyes. Piercing fangs. Blood

I swallowed against my dry throat, making it sting ruthlessly. "Attacked?" I asked in a squeak. "I remember that." My eyes darted around the room, before finally resting on Dominic once more. "By who?" Dominic shrugged casually, as if I had asked him his opinion on pelts. The papers in his hand had disappeared by now. I stared in awe. "Well, listen here, I need to get those papers to Kangik right now!" My fists were curled up into balls, a fear rising in my stomach. I had to get to Kangik. I couldn't go back home with no word and no approval in hand. I would be failing my own town.

"Oh, no.." Dominic murmured, scolding me. "See, I know you need this, little one. Which is why I'm keeping it until you rest up a little more. Either that, or until a few days have passed since the man's attack. It's for your own good." I took several steps towards him, but he didn't seem fazed by my attempt at being menacing. "Those papers are protected under the Alliance Treaty act, Dominic. You do know what's going on, don't you?"

I was surrounded by the politics and hatred. Constantly living in fear. To not know of the goings on, seemed completely foreign to me. "Me? Nah. I'm not into all of that. I don't even know what this is." He lifted the paper, referring to it. I scoffed. "So give it back."

"No, because then you'll leave. You need to stay a couple of days." With that final word, he approached one of the larger cabinets that hugged his living room, and slid the paper on the top shelf. I had never been so unaware of my height before. "Make yourself at home, Steph."

"Wait, how do you know my name?"