Always Something There to Remind Me

Chapter Eleven

“Bonjour!” Vero greeted me and Melinda. “I am SO glad you guys are here…” she tried to continue before we all heard a loud cheer.

“Boys,” she smirked, shaking her head. “Come on in, I’m just finishing getting some snacks,” she said, leading us into the kitchen.

“So, how’s everything going with you guys?” Vero asked.

“Pretty good. The restaurant’s getting a lot of business, so it keeps me busy,” I answered. “And Melinda is enjoying being the object of Max’s affection,” I tease her, noticing she’s staring at him in the next room.

“Hey Vero,” Marc called from the next room. “The game’s starting!”

“I guess we better get in there then,” Vero sighed, grabbing a bowl and some beers for the guys, Melinda and me following suit.

Vero sat on Marc’s lap, and Melinda had decided to sit next to Max, leaving me alone on the love seat.

About halfway through the first period, Sid and Carissa finally showed up. When they walked into the living room, Max turned and dropped his jaw.

“Oh my god,” Max feigned shock. “The captain is late? Mister I-like-to-bitch-at-teammates-who-don’t-show-up-at-least-five-minutes-early? Ladies and gentlemen, I think Hell has just frozen over.”

“Ha, ha, very funny Max,” Sid said, rolling his eyes as the rest of the guys continued to laugh.

“Je suppose que vous avez une très bonne raison pour est en retard?” Max asked, wiggling his eyebrows as Carissa went into the kitchen to get a drink.

“Again, very funny,” Sid replied. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I had to wait for her to get ready. You know how women have to have everything perfect. Heaven forbid they have one less layer of make-up, or there’s a tiny spot on her shirt,” he sighed, exasperated.

“You know,” Vero said. “Not all of us women are like that. You’re the one that decided to settle for Miss High Maintenance.”

“Sounds like you need to break out some tricks or something,” Melinda told him as he sat on the love seat next to me.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “Like the one time you told me that Jason’s party started at six because you thought it would take me forever to get ready, so we ended up getting there two hours early because it started at eight and you were too stubborn to admit that you lied.”

“I tried that already,” Sid laughed. “It didn’t work, we were still late,” he said as Carissa came back in the room. She glared at me and then plopped herself down on Sid’s lap. Talk about an awkward situation. Throughout the whole game, Carissa would try to whisper sweet nothings into Sid’s ear and kiss his cheek, but he kept pushing her away. Jordan caught sight of it and smirked, rolling his eyes at her.

Thankfully, the game was settled in regulation. I don’t know if I could’ve held my laughter in through overtime and a shootout. The Rangers won, so the guys would have home ice advantage for the first round. As soon as it was over, I practically ran into the kitchen, grabbing another drink and heading out to the back porch, Melinda, Max, Jordan and Vero following me.

“Hell yeah!” Jordan screamed as soon as the door was shut. “Home ice advantage against the fucking criers! We’re going to beat the shit out of them again this year! You’re looking at the future series-winner goal-scorer bitches.”

“Wow,” Vero said laughing. “Next time Jordan, lay off the alcohol.”

“I can’t help it,” he said, laughing along with the rest of us. “We went from tenth to fourth. We’re gonna get it this year…I can feel it.”

“Great,” Max said. “I can’t wait to see the look on Hossa’s face. He chose the wrong team.”

“You guys and your egos,” Melinda said smiling. “Uh-oh. Looks like someone isn’t too happy.” We all turned to look inside, where Carissa was in the process of ripping Sid’s head off about something.

“She’ll get over it,” Max said. “All he has to do his hand her some money and she’ll forget all about it.”

“Hey Nicole,” Marc said, coming out onto the deck. “Bill’s wife just called and said that they’re on their way to get some pizza and ice cream, and then they should be on their way to drop Aiden off.”

“Okay, I guess I better get going then. I’ll see all you guys later.”

“Bye mon ami. I’ll take Melinda home for you later,” Max said, smirking.

“Oh dear,” I laughed. “Good luck with that Melinda. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” I yelled as I went back inside to get my stuff. Carissa and Sid were still arguing. I had a feeling it had something to do with me, so I tried to grab my stuff and sneak out of the house before I could incur her wrath. I managed to make it to my car before either of them noticed me.

“Hey Nic, hold on a sec,” Sid said, jogging to my car. “Are you going to be home tomorrow? I told Aiden I would do something with him if you were okay with it.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I have to work until two, and Melinda is taking Aiden to the zoo, but after that we should be home the rest of the day.”

“Okay, cool. I’ll be there around five-thirty then?”

“Sounds good, see you tomorrow.”

_______________________________♥♥♥♥♥

Five-thirty came and went the next day, and Sid didn’t show. Aiden was sitting on the couch anxiously waiting for him. Every time he heard even the tiniest noise he would bolt to the door thinking Sid was there. He finally showed up around seven.

“Sorry I’m late buddy,” Sid said as he hugged Aiden. “I just had something really important to take care of.”

“That’s okay, let’s play a game!” Aiden said, his mood instantly brightening.

The three of us played Hi Ho Cherry-O, Candy Land, and Chutes & Ladders for the next hour and a half until it was time for Aiden to go to bed. After I got Aiden ready for bed, I went back downstairs to clean up while Sidney read Aiden his bedtime story.

“Okay, he’s sleeping,” Sid said as he came into the kitchen.

“You know, I really wish you wouldn’t do that,” I started, trying not to raise my voice at him.

“Do what? What’s wrong with reading my son his bed time story?” He asked, dumbfounded.

“No, I mean saying you’ll be here at a certain time and then not showing up.”

“I did show up.”

“Yeah, an hour and a half later. I know I’m not your babysitter, mother, or whatever, so you don’t answer to me, but it would have been nice to get a phone call or something. You should have seen him waiting for you. I’m surprised he didn’t break down into tears.”

“I’m sorry. I guess I didn’t even think that he might be waiting, and I had some business to take care of,” he said. “Are you guys doing anything tomorrow? I want to make up today to Aiden.”

“We’re not, but didn’t you say you had a tux fitting and a meeting with the wedding planner that’s supposed to take up most of the day?” I reminded him.

“No,” he said. “I’m not getting married. I broke it off with Carissa.”