This is My December

Chapter 3

Once his wet shirt was replaced with a new one, Elliot slowly trekked out into the living room, cursing himself in his mind. Why did he act in such a brusque manner? Even though he was sure that rude little witch deserved such unkindness, he could not help, but feel a little guilty.

He knew it was not an entirely big subject in her eyes so he could not really place any blame on her little red head.

All he had to blame was himself.

He released an even heavier sigh as his fingers rushed through his dark locks. What was he going to do? Elliot was sure Lydia was going to question his evasive behavior, but he was not willing to answer any of it! He did not wish to divulge such precious material to some girl he had just met. He was sure she would not – could not – understand his mental strife. No one could.

Wow… I really am becoming emo, aren’t I? Elliot laughed at the thought, lifting his spirits from its desolate depths.

He had to brace himself for the onslaught of questions the implacable little girl was surely going to bombard him… but then again, he found Lydia completely unpredictable. He never knew what Lydia was going to do next.

This moment was no exception.

Once he felt the fireplace’s warm light on his skin, he expected Lydia to jump out of nowhere, demanding to know exactly why he did not answer her inquiry. Elliot first stood there in his place, wishing to get the onslaught over with already.

He slowly turned his head left and right, curious where she could be. He blinked stupidly several times when he found the petite auburn haired female sitting serenely near the fire, taking careful sips out of a simple white mug.

Lydia slowly spun her head around to face him. A smile touched her lips as she said in a cordial manner, “Why hello there, Elliot! I’m so very glad to see you!” In response, Elliot tried do something remotely intelligent… but failed utterly. All he could possibly do was gawk in an almost stupid manner at her.

He was right about one thing.

He just never knows what to expect from the little redhead.

After a moment of infinite staring, he blurted out, “Hello?” She politely nodded in response and handed him a warm mug.

“I made you a cup of hot cocoa! I thought you’d like some,” Lydia said. Elliot thanked her, taking the piping hot goblet from her palms. He took one quick sip, tasting nothing completely unusual for a moment. He allowed another second to pass before he decided this drink was completely clean.

He scrutinized the girl a few more moments as her gaze reverted to the blazing inferno. What was up with her? He had the strangest inkling she was not one to shrug something like that off. He may be over thinking things just a bit, but he knows she has something completely vile brewing under that scarlet mop of hair…

“Hey, Elli, I’m guessing you’re a big fan of Christmas, huh?” Lydia spoke up, breaking him of his thoughts.

“Huh?” She pointed to the highly decorated Christmas tree. “Oh, no! Not me. I’m not a big Christmas person. This is all my crazy sister, Louisa’s, doing. She’s is a Christmas maniac. Completely loopy.” Elliot felt tiny curious why she entered such an unusual subject as that, but he honestly thought he was over thinking things again and decided to just go with it. “How about you?”

Lydia thought about the question before she bit her lip, shooting him a look that need not be conveyed in spoken words. “WHOA! You’ve got to be kidding me! You really don’t like Christmas?”

Lydia shook her head in response. “Nah. I really, really hate Christmas. It’s my least favorite holiday of all time.”

“No offense, but I honestly thought you would be the type to be really into Christmas.” Elliot admitted, seating himself across from her. “You surely have the energy to be a clear second to my sister.”

“I would say the same for you. You seem like the kind of guy who would be all gung-ho about the stupid holiday.” She countered defensively.

“Really?” he asked.

She took a few moments to reflect her answer before she replied with a blunt, “No, I lied. You’re much too uptight to even have an ounce of Christmas joy in you.”

He rolled his eyes. “Gee, thanks. At least I know you’re brutally honest.”

However, that was not the kind of response he was expecting. He was hoping that he was going to instigate something else entirely.

Seconds ticked by in total silence as Elliot’s curiosity got the better of him. “OKAY! I can’t take it!”

The crimson haired female jumped in her seat, frightened by her sudden outburst. “Excuse me?”

“Okay, do you wish on planning on telling me at least why you hate Christmas? A person is just not born hating to receive presents without a plausible reason. You could at least give me that much since you won’t tell me what’s up with the cooking thing.”

Clearly offended, Lydia retorted, “Why should I tell you? It’s none of your business! Plus, I rightly explained the cooking thing as much as I found appropriate for you to know.” She soon added, “If you have the right to interrogate me in such a manner, I might as well do the same to you to show you how it feels! Why are you so reluctant to tell me about the whole doctor thing, and, just for kicks, why do you hate Christmas so much?”

He countered, “No freakin’ way will I tell you!”

She released a loud harrumph. “Fine! If you won’t tell me anything like that, then I won’t tell you a single thing either!” She jugged down the remainder of her cocoa as Elliot tightened his fists.

Fine by him if she did not want to answer any of his questions! It was not as if he truly wanted to know. He cared less!

…What a lie that was.

No matter how many times he tried telling himself that, he could not help, but feel even more intrigued by that mysterious girl. What could have happened in her past to make her so bitter towards such a holiday? He, of course, had his reasons why he detested Christmas and did not wish to disclose it to her… but how else will he receive the information he craved?

Was he willing to offer such a sacrifice?

“Okay, I have a little proposition for you, Dee Dee.” He said.

He watched as interest glittered over her golden eyes. “Okay, I’ll bite. Please continue.”

“Alright, since it is Christmas Eve tomorrow, how I about I offer you this little present? If you are still a little under the weather, I will tell you my story in exchange that you will tell yours.”

“And that’s all if I still have my flu?” she questioned.

“Yep. If you are in perfect health, I’ll let you go on your merry way without pestering you about a single thing.”

Lydia considered that, clearly in deep thought. “Okay, deal. I’ll do it. Promise?”

“Cross my heart.” Elliot said, walking away from Lydia. “Good night!”

“Night!” she replied.

As Elliot walked back to his quarters, he smiled brightly to himself. Knowing her, she would concentrate all her energy on getting better. Lydia wanted to get out as soon as possible and that would surely motivate her in some shape or form to forge some sort of healthy disposition.

Maybe by then, his curious spirit would settle down, and he would not truly care if he did or did not hear the story of her life. Like him, she must not be ecstatic about telling her own tale either.

Then a curious idea popped into Elliot’s mind, forcing him to stop in his tracks.

Was that all orchestrated from the start in order to trick him into admitting to answer her questions? Now that he thought of it, if she never mentioned anything involving Christmas, he would have not developed his little proposal.

He dismissed the thought from his mind. HA! She’s not the devious that she would do something like that! Lydia just got lucky that’s all. He assured him with that thought and walked inside his room.

~* * *~

When Lydia was sure Elliot was safely in his quarters, she shot her hands up in pure glee. Yes! Who’s good?

She honestly never thought that would work in her favor.

She planned to mention random topics, hopefully forcing him to forget about his reluctance moments before and admit his little secrets.

This was an even more interesting development then she expected. Though the thought of returning into the outside world and getting on with her life was incredibly enticing, she thought of the satisfaction she would feel when he finally forced it out of him. It would certainly make up for refusing her early release…

It’s decided then! I can’t leave before I achieve my goal – hearing Elliot eat his words!

Now all she had to worry about is her temperature. Lydia had to do a lot to dupe the doctor, but what could she possible do?

Lydia quickly took her temperature, seeing it was a measly ninety-nine degrees Fahrenheit. Once tomorrow rolled along, she would be fine and out the door before she knew it.

She had to pull out all the stops if she wanted to seem even afflicted by the common cold. Let’s see… what’s a little girl like me to do?

Then voila! Inspiration struck! It was time for her to get to work.

…I really have no life, do I? She quickly rushed into the kitchen, turning the faucet on steaming hot as she grabbed a towel and many other available ingredients…

Thus, her great plan began rolling into fruition… Just what was little Lydia planning to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!