This is My December

Chapter 5

Elliot weaved through the hallway and stomped inside his room, slamming his door shut. What an irritating girl she was! She knew absolutely nothing about him. What gives her the right to even say such things? What does she know about his problems or even his own life?

…Apparently more than he knew.

Elliot slowly sunk down onto the floor, his head falling on top of his knees. No matter how much he dearly wished to deny it, those were the exact words he needed to hear before he lost his mind - words that everyone must have concluded were much too obvious to state.

It just came as such a surprise to hear it escape from her sharp tongue. So much that he quickly moved to the defensive, channeling all his energy to rage.

He released a low chuckle, using it as a device to relieve his inner tension. “Everything was true… Every little word she said was true…”

Now Elliot had a few moments to recall, he never thought much about being the best. All he wanted to do was try his best, and that had paid off countless times. Louisa rejoiced while his parents could not have been anymore proud.

Then, the next few years rolled along.

He had been applying more and more unnecessary pressure to keep his parents happy, and that became his downfall. He had a complete nervous breakdown, most likely worrying his family members.

He really should not be so hard on himself. He is not a failure. If he continued working hard and doing to the best of his ability, he would do perfectly fine. He could finally be happy.

Then all that stress, the anxiety over his choice toward the medical profession, seemed to vanish. Though it did not disappear completely, it felt as if it was not there in the first place. He felt almost glad. That nutty girl actually did something right! Who knew she was so insightful?

Obviously he did not. He laughed more lightly now, allowing a light smile to cross his face.

If she was not there to tell him that, where would he be right now? Sulking in the corner, acting like his whole ‘emo’ self as she would so bluntly state.

Lydia had been a great, little, annoying surprise in his life. I guess this holiday really can perform a little miracle once in awhile. He did not know what he would do without her.

Then a strange feeling shot through his systems. It went by all too quickly for him to distinguish, but little bits of it lingered. His hand slowly reached towards his beating heart. “No… I couldn’t possibly…”

He shook his head, trying to dismiss the thought from his mind. “HA! That is completely ridiculous! There’s no way on earth that I would feel such an emotion towards that ill-tempered redhead… right?”

Like everything else in his life, he just did not know anymore. Elliot sat there for a few moments longer, trying to decipher how he truly felt towards Lydia…

~* * *~

Oh my god! Elliot is such a butt face!” Lydia exclaimed, ready to rip her long tendrils out of her skull. She angrily tossed a pillow at the wall before she buried her face into another cushion, releasing a loud scream that she hoped Elliot could not hear.

Once she was complete with her little tantrum, she allowed her body to slink deep under the covers, her eyes staring intently at the milky ceilings. There were exactly two reasons why she was mad at Elliot. One was due to Elliot’s unjust behavior to her. She was only giving her opinion! She wanted to help him get over his problems and get on with his life.

That was completely uncalled for… Idiotic Elli…

Reason number two was what Elliot said about her.

No matter how truly hurtful it was, she knew he was exactly right. He struck home. He said something she simply could not allow herself to believe. Everything he told her was the true reason for her ventures. The whole traveling for a purpose just acted as cover-up to help justify her actions. She had been completely devastated over her mother’s death, and never allowed that despair escape into her features.

He was the first person that was ever able to cut through her thick armor; a wall she built all around her to protect herself from getting hurt any further.

Now that the wall had crumbled down into absolutely nothing, she felt so vulnerable. Everything was completely out in the open.

All the bitterness, the sorrow, the agony that was pent up deep inside of her bubbled right up to the surface.

It was the first in a very long time did she allow herself to cry.

~* * *~

After she released that last, bitter tear, she sat up in her seat, trying to collect herself from her mini breakdown. She had thought that if she allowed herself such an unnecessary release, it would only cause the pain that she felt in her heart to increase to a point she could no longer take.

And strangely enough… I feel perfectly fine. Ten times better in fact!

All the pressure, the misery, and shame over the astringent recollection felt as if it completely disappeared. Sure, she did feel bad about it, but it did not held such a hindrance to her life. It was all gone.

Lydia absolutely hated crying. She once thought it as a sign of weakness. She thought if she did begin weeping, she would be submitting to her truly fragile disposition. To her, letting everything out at that moment felt completely foreign to her.

And in a good way… weird! Who knew crying would actually help someone?

Without Elliot, who knows if she would be able to reach such a powerful revelation! Of course, she still hated to cry, but at least she knows it is for a completely different reason. Okay… maybe Elli isn’t all that bad after all…

Then she froze in her place. All the color drained from her face. Ahh! What have I done?

She quickly recollected his outright hostility towards her, and she was certain that animosity did not decrease in any considerable degree. She had contradicted him by saying things when it was not her place to comment in the first place.

My stupid big mouth… Now he must hate me now! Lydia knew she had to apologize to make everything right… but she could not find the will to get out and walk over to him. She thought about two reasons why she should not get up and see him.

One, she should give him some more time to cool down. He seemed very upset when she remarked in the way that she did and needed his space. She was not going to deprive him of the privacy he needed. She did not want to risk having her pretty, little head bitten off.

Two, she was too proud to go up and present her honest apologies. She was hurt too. Why should she hurt her pride and say she was sorry first? If anyone was going to say anything, she thought it had to be him! The first reason just acted as an excuse for her true intent for not moving a single muscle.

Oh, I hope Elliot comes out soon…

Almost on cue, Elliot ambled out into the living room, seeming as uneasy as she felt.

“Um… hi, Lydia.” He mumbled out nervously.

“Hey yourself, Elliot.” She muttered, her apprehension coloring her voice.

Okay! So far so good! He doesn’t seem as angry as he was before. Yay for improvement! she exclaimed in her mind, trying to ease the anxiety that bubbled in her stomach.

“Look… I, um...” They both began in perfect harmony. They both stopped, awaiting for the other to continue.

Seeing that neither wished to speak another word, they began again, sadly at the same time. “Well, I … um… sort of…” Pause. “What?”

“Nothing.” Elliot murmured, turning his head towards the roaring flames.

“Just forget it…” Lydia grumbled, also shying away from his verdant orbs.

Okay! This is awkward! Lydia thought, squirming in her seat.

Who should talk first? Her or Elliot? Was that what the dark haired male wanted to talk about in the first place?

Yep, I was right. This is extremely uncomfortable… She deterred her attention from the fireplace to glance at Elliot.

Even though his countenance seemed cool, calm, and collected, she could tell he was just as affected by the awkwardness as she was.

The silence prolonged into another quiet eternity.

Lydia grew restless. She needed to purge herself of her guilty conscious. This silence was enough to drive anyone mentally insane!

She swallowed hard and forced her lips to move.

“Um… Elliot?” He snapped himself out of his deep musings, and turned towards her. “Listen, I know you probably can’t stand me, but please hear me out. If I didn’t get this off my chest now, I’ll lose my mind!”

Lydia paused for a moment, waiting for Elliot’s reaction. All she simply received was his attention. He raised his eyebrows, an indication for her to proceed.

“Okay here it goes…” She took a deep breath, shut her eyes closed, and blurted out, “I’m so sorry, Elli!

The fiery female paused, allowing her words to sink in. She slowly lifted her lids from her golden orbs to see Elliot completely stunned by her outburst. He blinked several times in his place, and Lydia took that as permission to continue.

“Yeah, I really am sorry about the way I acted and what I said. I just got so mad at you for saying all that about me because…” She bit her lip. “Because… every single word you said about me was true. I was too disillusioned to even believe it. Traveling for my mother’s promise was just some excuse I found to conceal my true intentions.

“After my mother died, I just completely broke down. I thought there had to be something I could have done to keep her alive – A LOT more. I grew so ashamed of myself that I tried running away from the pain. I think I understand myself better. At least now, whatever I do, I know it would be for my mother’s promise.

“Another reason why I was so upset was how oblivious you were of what your parent’s really wanted – your happiness. I would have given everything I have for a family that loves me as much as yours do. You’re just so lucky…” Lydia stopped there, gauging Elliot’s reaction. He simply gazed at her with that dazed expression painting his features. “So… what do you say? Am I forgiven?”

No response. Elliot just stood in his place, processing everything she just said.

Instead of hearing the forgiveness she so dearly craved, Elliot began laughing.

After first, Lydia was confused. Why was he laughing? She just could not comprehend why. When he fell to the floor, clutching his stomach and still laughing hysterically, she channeled all that confusion to rage.

“Hey! What’s so funny? I poured my whole heart and soul into that!” Lydia scowled then added, “Especially since I thought it all just now. I thought I did well!”

After releasing one loud chortle, Elliot settled down. “I know. I’m sorry. I don’t expect you to understand.”

Lydia furrowed her thin brows, recognizing that phrase instantly. Apparently, the aspiring medical student also was aware of the words the expelled from his mouth. He chuckled once more. “Oh wow. You’re really rubbing of on me!”

“Okay so before you have another hysterical spasm, can you please explain it to me before I smack that audaciously big head of yours!?”

“Wow… Audaciously? That surely is a big word for you, Dee Dee. Do you have any idea what that means?” Elliot challenged her.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you what it means! It means…” Lydia paused for one long moment, wondering herself what the definition of such a strange word was. Seeing a condescending smirk grace Elliot’s lips, she shook her head and recovered. “It means just shut your trap and tell me what’s up with you!”

“Alright! Alright! Just calm down.” Elliot said. He took one deep breath. “The reason why I found your apology so amusing was because… I was planning to do the same exact thing!”

Lydia’s eyes widened into two large saucers. Her mouth nearly plunged through the floors. She could not believe her ears. “Huh?”

“Yeah, it’s true. I was going to say I was sorry and that you were right! That was the whole reason why I was so quiet! I was only trying to figure out what I wanted to say. Now don’t you think that’s a little funny? A medical student admitting that a high school graduate was right. What has this world come to?”

“Hey! Just so you know, I did have at least a whole year’s worth of college schooling… even if it wasn’t all in one place! I just can’t pay for the second year. That’s all!” Lydia exclaimed before pacifying herself. “Okay, before I knock that big ol’ grin off your face, please continue. I need to hear this.”

Elliot nodded, happy to oblige. “Yes, again apologies. Anyway, once I was in my room and fully calmed down, I realized I really was too hard on myself. As the years passed by, I have been applying more and more pressure to please my parents. Then there was so much pressure, that I just… cracked. I just can’t believe I never realized anything like that sooner! I am really am an idiot!”

“We all know that, Elli. Don’t state the obvious,” She commented.

The boy glared at her for a few long moments before he proceeded, “Yes, it was due to that very pressure that I did not realize what my parents wanted was for my personal happiness in whatever I strive to do. Now I understand that I have to just try my best. It worked before, and it will work again.”

“So I guess we’re both the oblivious ones here, aren’t we?” Lydia admitted, fighting a smirk that began tugging at her lips.

“Yeah, I guess we are.” He replied, a light smile curving his very lips.

Then a long placidity ensued, filling the air with a calm, yet uncomfortable silence. Elliot squirmed a little uneasily, biting his lip. Neither was sure what they should. Lydia twiddled her little thumbs, trying to discover an earth shattering idea that will break the stillness.

“Okay! Listen, I got a little proposition for you,” The redhead offered, slowly raising her voice. “If you say you’ll forgive me, I’ll forgive you. Deal?” Elliot thought about her proposal for a few moments. Seeing the uncertainty flashing in his brilliant peridots, she tentatively extended her hand, a meek smile appearing on her lips. “Elli, I’m waiting.”

The boy glanced at her extended arm then at her. She was nearly falling into desolation after a few seconds went by. By the incredulous look on his face, he really did not give any indications of accepting.

Just moments before she allowed her tired hand to fall, Elliot quickly grasped it. “Sounds fair enough. Deal.”

Lydia blinked several times, watching their hands bob up then down. She quickly looked up, seeing a wide smile spread over his face.

“Thank you so much, Elli!” she squealed, allowing a blissful grin to take full command of her features. “Ooh! Since we’re on the topic of confessions, I have a teeny tiny one I want to tell you,” Lydia tentatively said, gauging his reaction.

Elliot’s countenance hardened. The smile that touched his thin lips slowly disappeared, released Lydia’s hand from his. He, at first, was at a lost for words.

“Do I really want to know, Lydia?” Elliot asked, keeping his features completely unruffled. He seemed so calm that Lydia felt like cringing, letting her smile wipe off from her face.

“Maybe… I’ll tell you if your promise you won’t kill me,” She said, forcing a smile on her sweet face.

“I promise I won’t murder you. Just tell me what’s on your mind,” Elliot replied so coolly that it worried her. After all, everything is always calm before the storm. She swallowed a huge lump that formed deep in her throat.

“Okay, well all I wanted to say was… I kind of wasn’t as sick as I led you to believe.” Lydia began slowly, cringing behind her delicate sheet. Elliot furrowed his eyebrows in disbelief, not entirely sure how to react.

“What?”

“Yeah… I faked everything! I pretended to be sick because I wanted to hear your story. I knew that the next day I’d be well so I had to got through some weird things to fake it.”

Elliot soon inquired. “May I ask what exactly you did it?”

She sunk down more into her seat, her voice becoming shakier with each word that she released from her lips. “Um, to get the whole pale thing I used a lot of flour. I don’t know how that even worked… Weird…”

“But how did you get the temperature. I checked it myself. It was pretty high you know.”

“… Yeah that was the hardest part. First, to get the temperature I practically drank a whole bowl of hot water and poured it on my face when I heard you were getting up. That almost scorched my tongue, and I thought my eyes were going to burn right out of its sockets! I never knew I was so sensitive…” she grimaced at the thought, which slowly evaporated into inconsolable fear as she glanced at Elliot’s incredulous expression. “So… how mad are you? I hope it’s not as much that you’d turn homicidal on me.”

There was no answer, causing Lydia to dig deeper into the blanket’s protective depths.

She watched in great anticipation for Elliot’s face to contort into the angry glare she surely was going to shoot her. Then, of course, she could not predict anything anymore.

This whole day was completely topsy-turvy. His reaction was surely one of those completely unpredictable moments.

Elliot soon began chuckling to himself, progressively growing louder and louder with each passing moment. Lydia tilted her head to the side, her expression again mystified.

“Oh no! You’re having another episode!” Lydia whined. “So what’s the matter with you and your big head now?”

After what seemed like an annoying infinity of his hysterics, Elliot soon pacified himself, and replied, “Oh, it’s because I sort of had a gut feeling you were faking it.”

Lydia blinked several times, taken aback. “…You did?” Lydia stupidly asked. The dark-haired boy nodded his.

“Yeah, I guess I found something fishy how quickly your fever returned, but never thought much of it since I was so worried about telling our stories. Of course, I also thought I was over examining things again. I guess there really was the possibility that you were sick again,” He explained.

“And you’re not mad? You know, you’re not going to scream at me, kill me, and/or any other homicidal actions that endangers my very existence?” she asked confusedly.

Elliot thought about that question for a few moments, wondering if he was the slightest bit upset. His dark brows knitted together as he gave his response. “Even though I really should… I’m not. How odd…” His emerald irises fell downcast, also seeming much in disbelief at his own feelings. “I think I may even be…”

He soon stopped in his place, his facial expression seeming even more and more troubled and confused.

“What is it, Elli?” the confused little girl asked. She held her breath, anticipating his answer.

After a few more moments of silence, Elliot violently shook his head, dismissing such distressing thoughts from his confused mind. “Um, it’s nothing, Dee Dee. Don’t you worry your little red head about it.”

Lydia gazed at him for a few moments before releasing a ragged sigh. “Alright… whatever you say, Elli.” She felt almost… disappointed.

But why would I be? It’s not like he was going to say anything earth shattering… Lydia thought mystifyingly in her mind before dismissing the thought from her mind. It was not an important issue to address now.

“So what do you want to do now? The night is still young, and it’s still Christmas Eve.” Elliot pointed out, quickly changing the subject.

“Oh yeah! That’s right! Just let me think for a few moments…” Lydia’s golden orbs scanned the living room for some sort of inspiration. Then her careful gaze halted on the highly ornamented evergreen. Her eyes widened, clearly horrorstruck.

Ohy my god!” She screeched, alerting her gracious host.

“What? What is it? What’s the matter?” he queried, snapping his head towards the tree. “Is there something wrong with the Christmas tree?”

“Yeah, there is! THAT TREE DOESN’T HAVE A STAR ON TOP OF IT!” she wailed, pointing to the tree’s empty tip. Elliot did not offer a response, her words sinking into his mind.

“Oh you must be kidding me!” Elliot’s body relaxed, his eyes boring angrily into her skull. “You were making me think that tree was on fire or something!”

“Well I might as well burn it until it’s no more since it doesn’t have the little star on top! No matter how much this holiday revolts me, it’s not the same without it!” Lydia retorted viciously.

“You must be mentally impaired…” Elliot shook his head in great disapproval of her outburst before scrutinizing the great pine. “Huh… you’re right. It is sort of weird not having something there.”

“SEE?! I am not insane!!” Lydia said and soon asked, “But I thought you said your sister was a Christmas maniac. No maniac in their right mind would forget such an important part of this holiday.”

“Maybe it has to do with some twisted plan in her head and something we did when we were young.” Elliot mused.

This befuddled her. Her red head slightly tilted to the side before inquiring, “Like what?”

Elliot replied, “Well ever since we were little, we would drive out parents crazy when Louisa and I argued relentlessly who would put the tree topper. They grew so fed up with it that they made us take turns each year. We would get a little upset once in awhile about it, but we easily got over it… at least for the majority of the years.”

“What happened to that?”

“Well obviously since we started lived apart, we never worry who would put the star on our trees.” He paused for one moment, considering something that had just entered his mind.

“Maybe this is her weird way trying to endow some sort of holiday spirit by making me the one to put the godforsaken star on.” His face soon grimaced at the thought, observing the incomplete tree carefully. The fiery haired girl also scrutinized it for a few long moments, processing everything he had said.

As her little head nodded in consideration, an idea soon popped into her head. “Then why don’t we?”

Elliot snapped his head towards her, knitting his dark brows together. “Huh?”

“What are you? Deaf?” she asked. Seeing his face was still completely perplexed, she threw her head back and groaned. “You really are an idiot! What I mean was why don’t we put the stupid star on the stupid tree! How simple could things get?”

“But… why?”

“Easy! That whole tree feels so weird without it. Even though I kind of hate this whole holiday in its entirety, I just feel we have to do this. For your sister’s sake. After all that junk you put her through, I think this would be a nice, subtle present for her.” After seeing no response, watching disbelief flash in his amazing emerald eyes, she soon added, “Oh come on! You don’t think that’s even the slightest weird!”

Her finger pointed to the highly ornamented tree, forcing his gaze to follow. He tilted his head to the side, trying to consider everything in a different perspective. “…Yeah, you’re right. It’s completely weird beyond all possible imagination.”

“I know I’m right. You don’t have tell me that. Now come on! In spirit of this wretched holiday?” Lydia asked. Elliot’s eyes wavered over capitulation and downright refusal. Lydia noticed this and widened her golden eyes. Each little sparkle simply implored him, begging him to allow such a simple act. “Pwease, Elli? Your swister would be reawwy happy if you did!”

Elliot stared at her for a few moments, fighting a strange flush that began to flood into his features. Elliot shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. “Alright, Dee Dee. We’ll do it. Just let me grab a stool, and we can do this.”

A wide smile appeared on her pale face as she took in an excited inhale. “Yay! Oh thank you, Elliot! Come on. I’ll grab the star.” Elliot slowly walked away to grab a tiny stool as Lydia trotted towards the stone mantel, carefully lifting a little star-like figurine. “Hey, is this it, Elli?”

Elliot examined the brightly colored yellow object as he carried the chair towards the tree. Then he stopped. “Yep, that’s it. It’s even prettier than I remembered.” A light smile graced his lips, a reminiscent glow glittering in his spectacular emeralds.

Lydia also smiled, tenderly fingering the star’s smooth edges. “Yeah… it is, but I find the choice of decoration quite curious.” Her fingers traced along a holly leaf before pointedly looking up to meet Elliot’s gaze. “Mistletoe?”

He chuckled under his breath as he continued his advances. “Yeah, this may not come off as much as surprise, but my sister did that. Louisa wanted every year to be filled with love. The best way her young mind could possibly exemplify such a message was glue a little holly to the star… you know, I’m sort of surprised it stayed for so long. I thought the little thing fell off a long time ago.”

“Well that’s kind of sweet… for Christmas goes I guess and in a completely corny sort of way. Your sister’s pretty amazing.” Lydia stayed, her eyes fixated on the tiny piece of decoration.

Elliot scoffed. “Yeah, if you mean amazingly weird, then yes I agree.” He then observed as her fingers continued circling the little golden star, a light smile touching her pallid lips - her eyes withholding an almost wistful gleam. He placed the chair right next to the tree and asked, “Hey, Dee, are you still on this planet?”

She snapped out of her musings and nodded her head. “Oh… yeah. I am. Sorry, I kind of zoned out for a second there!” she replied, nervously scratching her head.

“Yeah… I noticed.” He stopped for a moments before following with an inquiry, “If you don’t mind me asking, I found it odd that you requested such a thing. You almost went on you knees for goodness sakes! Is there a little reason why?”

She nodded her head. “Yeah… I guess your story kind of reminded my Christmases with my mother. Though I never had to bite someone’s head off for it, my mom would always let me put the star on the tree - usually she was not in great of health and barely had strength to stand up. That had quickly bestowed the job to me. It was her favorite part of decorating the tree as was mine.” She finally took her eyes off from the star and added, “I guess your story touched me. It really did remind me of my time with my own mother.”

“It did?”

“Yeah… she believed that Christmas was the time for miracles. The magic would only begin once the tree’s topper is placed.”

“Yeah, same with my family…” Elliot allowed the sentence to trail off, gazing at the ornamented tree. He quickly shook his head. “But how could that happen? It’s silly!”

“You never know. Miracles happen in different shapes and sizes and at any time…” Lydia muttered quietly under her breath, loud enough for her host to hear. Elliot was perplexed by her response, clearly shocked of what she had said. He stared at her before she met his gaze. “Oh, sorry! That was just something my mom told me every night of Christmas. This whole thing is making me feel rather nostalgic…”

Lydia ran her fingers through her hair, chuckling nervously. Elliot nodded his head in recognition before blinking unintelligibly at her remark. Her eyes quickly fell back the golden piece, and Elliot’s lips unconsciously curved to a grin.

“Well, um… you really should be putting it on the tree.” Lydia said as she held the item out for Elliot. He analyzed the little star in her pale hands then at her. “So? Are you going to take the stupid star or what?”

Elliot’s eyes went back to the piece of adornment and bluntly replied, “No.”

“No?” Lydia repeated. She knitted her eyes brows, mystified by his refusal. “But why the hell not?! You just said yes! You can’t go back on your word.”

He did not offer reply right away. His green irises concentrated on the gold star, an idea slowly formulating in his mind...

“Because… I want you to do it.”

“What?!” She shouted, clearly shocked by what came out of his lips. “Have you lost your mind? I can’t do it. This is not my tree. How could you say something like that?”

Elliot processed her words in his mind and replied, “Yeah, you’re right about one thing. It’s my tree. I can do whatever I want, and right now, I want you to put that star on the tree.”

Lydia quickly followed with a protest, “But I can’t! If you haven’t noticed I am not the same height as you. I am short! If I try to put this little star on, I will fall and die!”

Elliot snorted. “No, you won’t! You are just being over dramatic. You never let your petite stature stop you before… no matter how much I tower over you. Even if you were as tall as an infant, I bet you would still have that big mouth of yours. I don’t see why your height would stop you now.”

Lydia chewed her bottom lip, trying to think of a plausible excuse to get out of her predicament. She looked up at the tree and back at the raven-haired male. “You promise I won’t die? Because if I do, I will haunt you for all eternity.”

He shuddered at the thought and nodded his head. “Of course I will. If anything happens, I promise to catch you. I’ll even hold the chair. You’ll be fine. I’ll do anything to prevent such a thing terrible thing from happening.” Elliot quivered once more before reverting back to his serious self. “Now please, will you do it?”

Lydia thought about it for a long moment, turning her head upwards apprehensively at the towering tree. She turned her head back towards Elliot, who found the moment to be his turn to plead. He forced his eyes to widen, imploring him with each glittering facet of his peridot eyes.

Lydia thought she was going to burst out laughing! Could he look any more ridiculous? Then her golden irises locked into his wide green eyes.

When was his eyes so… wow. Lydia never paid much attention to his eyes. Of course, she knew it was tinted with a deep green, but she never realized how rich that color was. Looking into those smoldering emeralds just made her feel like she drowned…

And making me sound so corny! I mean, come on! What kind of weirdo thinks that sort of think? Her mouth twisted into a thin pout, realizing that she was the weirdo.

Great! I’m a freak of nature!

Elliot’s voice soon broke through her sad revelation. “Lydia? I hoped I did not lose you again?”

“Huh?” she articulated without much intelligence. Her eyes widened, remembering she was not alone. “OH! Yeah! I have to answer your little question, don’t I?”

Elliot’s head sharply nodded, his eyes seeming colored with his incredulity over her. Will he ever figure her out?

She cleared her throat and declared, “So, anyways! I have decided!”

“Yep, that’s just spectacular.” He said with the utmost sarcasm, rolling his eyes. “Now do you plan on actually telling me what your answer is?”

“Not if you talk to me in that sort of way!” she whined with an annoyed look on her pale countenance. His eyes fell into narrow slits, clearly having zero energy to argue with her. “Alright… I get it. Ruining my fun…” She shook her red head in great dissatisfaction.

“Just give me damn the answer!”

“Okay! Jeez, someone’s impatient.” She thought as he took this moment to have his turn and shake his dark locks. “… You just better not let me fall while I do this, or I’ll kill you before you kill me!”

“Alright, whatever, drama queen. Just get up on the stool and do it already.” The dark-haired boy ordered as Lydia daintily stepped onto the stool. “Can you reach?”

She quickly steadied herself on the tiny piece of furniture, with the star in hand, and looked up to the tree’s top. She swallowed hard as she first attempted to place the star on the top.

Lydia griped, “Hey! I can’t reach! I’m too short!” She bobbed on the very tips of her feet, trying to thrust herself more upwards.

“Yes, you can!” Elliot encouraged. “You just have to try harder!”

“Fine…” Lydia quickly rose to her toes, reaching for the top of the tree with all her might. “Am I almost there?”

“Yeah, you’re doing just fine!” Elliot assured her. “Just a few more inches and you’ll probably at touch it.”

“What?!” Lydia exclaimed, struggling to even touch the tree’s green tip. “I kind of can’t instantaneously sprout two inches whenever I choose.”

Elliot shook his head, eyeing her languidly with his green eyes. “…Just get the star on the tree. I know you can do it.”

Lydia nodded, trying to rise even higher, forcing her limbs to rise to its very limits. Her eyes narrowed in concentration, her feet sliding to the very end of the chair. “Hey, I think I’m almost there!”

Elliot nodded his head in recognition before he observed the direction of her movements. “Hey, be careful. You’re almost…” Elliot began warning her before being cut off by a loud shush.

“Shut up! I’m trying to do this. I need total concentration!” she shouted, slowly placing the star on the tree.

“But, Lydia… You’re going to…” But it all came much too late. The very moment the star was placed with absolute precision on the evergreen, Lydia toppled right off the chair.

AH! ELLI, HELP!” she shouted, slipping off the stool.

Elliot quickly responded to her plea, assuring her by saying, “I got you, Dee Dee!”

But everything went much too fast for Elliot to properly react. As he mobilized to break poor Lydia’s fall, Lydia had already crashed right on top of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
*GASP* What will happen next? The only way you will find out... is if you read the next chapter! Yay!

Thanks so much for reading!