Attention, Attention.

That's The City For You.

I was waken up by Kylie. William's arm hung loosely over my waist, and I wriggled out from under it so I could stand up.
"Today an epic event in history is taking place," she announced.
"What's that?" I asked, confused.
"Kellee Brennan's getting a job!" she said, fake gasping. I sighed.
"And where is Kellee Brennan working," I said, rolling my eyes.
"Only the coolest coffee shop around, with her best friend Kylie."
I sighed. I had grown a burning hatred towards the always happy, always steamy coffeehouse Kylie had worked at since senior year. Sure, it was Starbucks, but all of the employees were all smiles and too happy and chipper and it was annoying.
"Let me get dressed." I rub my eyes, and grab the bag that had been shoved into the corner. I dragged it into the bathroom, and rifled through it until I found a suitable outfit. I stared at my reflection. A jean skirt that went halfway down my thighs and a loose gray tee shirt was certainly not okay. But then again, Kylie dresses the same way. I sighed again, neatly pushing everything back into my bag. When I had entered the living area again, William was out of the couch and his voice rang through the house from the kitchen. I walked into said room, and looked around for Kylie as I entered. William was the only person in.
"Hello, Kellee!" he sang, wrapping his arms around me and spinning me around.
"Did you have coffee this early?" He shook his head.
"I need to ask you something." I nodded in response. "Well, there hasn't been a day I haven’t thought about you for the past, uh, 4 or 5 years. And um, it would be nice if…if you could give me another chance." The same memories from last night ran through my head.
Say yes.
No.
Say. Yes.
No thanks.
Say ye-
"N-no." His face fell, breaking my heart even more. "Not…not just yet. I can't. I need a little time between boyfriends. But soon, I'll say yes. I still love you, and I never stopped." He still looked about to cry. He let out a strangled whimper.
"But…Kellee."
"I can't, Bill. You need to understand." He shook his head, turning on his heel and leaving the room. I sank down against the fridge, letting the tears that had threatened to fall for too long loose. I needed to be strong, I told myself. I can't let him do this to me again.--

It took awhile for the tears to stop, but thankfully no one saw. I hated crying. My face always turned red and puffy. I was in the bathroom, finishing getting ready, when I heard a knock and Kylie's voice.
"Have you seen William?" She poked her head in. I shook my head, running the brush one last time through my hair. I set it down, and followed her out.

--
Starbucks went by uneventfully. I got the job, but who couldn't? It's just Starbucks. Making coffee is programmed into everyone's head at birth. I had left Kylie at Starbucks for her shift. But anyways. I came home, got out of the uncomfortable clothes and into a pair of blue American Apparel shorts (oh yes, Stephanie, I just had to mention them.) and a grey oversized tee. I fished through my bag, trying to find a good book to sit down and read. No, no, I can't find one. Shit. I stood up, sighing (I do a lot of that, quite obviously). I decided to go look through Kylie's CDs. So I did. In perfect ABC order, I might add. I decided to put on a White Stripes. I wasn't in the mood for Britney Spears, not hyper enough. No Avenged Sevenfold, I had a headache from the smell of so much coffee. I collapsed onto the couch. My eyes fluttered closed.

Not for long.

A loud knocking at the door startled me.