Attention, Attention.

And All Things Will End.

"And then Will was like," I took a moment to dramatically splay my arms, raising an eyebrow in a super heroic look. "Hold it. Wait a second." I broke the act and started laughing heartily. Mike's faint smile was slanted, his eyebrows furrowed with impatience and concern.
"I know. That's the sixth time you've told it to me."
"You should've seen the girl! There was blood all over the place, a-and I didn't think she would even live, there was so much blood...."
"But they say seven's the charm," Mike muttered. I threw my head back onto the couch and sighed. After our pleasant coffee break at the diner, Will had said goodbye and I'd come home. Mike was waiting for me with five movies to choose from- courtesy of Blockbuster (with their late fee policy of bankruptcy, it was more like Ballsbuster)- and popcorn and candy too. He planned a romantic movie night complete with lots of sugar for us... but I had to tell him what happened first.
"I guess it was one of those 'you-had-to-have-been-there' things," I concluded.
"Uh...yeah. D'you wanna see Star Wars?" He asked, a spark of hope resonating in his voice. I laughed. He could be such a dork.
"Honestly?" I asked. He nodded.
"Nope."
"Aw, come on!"
"Can't we just...do something else?"
"Are you trying to sed--"
"No," I answered honestly. "I just don't want to have to look at a friggin' Wookie right now." He chuckled and leaned on me, tilting his head to the side and squinting at me.
"Do you have any idea how beautiful you are," he said in no more than a whisper.
"I think so," I smiled. He moved his face closer and softly placed his lips on mine. Suddenly William's fiercely smiling figure popped into my head, struggling to stop laughing long enough to take a sip from his cappuccino. William playing his guitar and singing his song just for me. William standing there with a hurt look on his face, his eyes asking only one question.

Why?

I instinctively pursed my lips against his kiss. My body stiffened beneath his, as if I'd touched something repulsive. He quickly moved back.
"What's wrong?"
"I...n-nothing." I stuttered, somewhat ashamed of myself. Mike's face softened with pity.
"You can't get your mind off that poor waitress from the diner, can you?" What a relief, I thought. He's lying for me.
"Yes, that's it," I sighed. "Thanks for caring, Will--" My eyes widened. I froze. He moved away from me and sat alone on the couch, resting his elbows on his legs, his wrists on his knees. After a few long and silent moments, he said,
"So that's who is on your mind." His voice was drenched with disappointment.
"N-no! I was going to ask... will...you...go make some more popcorn? I'm starved." We both slowly turned our heads to stare at the overflowing bowl of golden popped corn sitting untouched on the table. My eyes fluttered closed with defeat and humiliation.
"You don't love me at all, do you?" Mike asked.
"Of course I--"
"Bullshit!" he almost shouted. "I see the way you look at him," he said, calming down and talking more to himself than to me. "I see the way he looks at you. Everyone can. Everyone does."
For a little while I just sat, stunned, and stared at my boyfriend. To me he was still my best friend... I could tell myself I was in love with him until dolphins sprouted legs and took over the world, but it was William who I was really in love with.
"Mike, I--"
"Its okay. I don't care."
"You don't mean that."
"You're right," he said, snorting. "You're right. You always are right. You know me better than anyone. I love you and I wish I could change that."
"Mike. Mike look at me," I pleaded. He turned his head to face me. I felt a sharp tugging at my heart when I saw his watery bloodshot eyes, filled with pain. "I love you," I confessed. "You are my best friend and don't you ever forget that. Remember we said that no matter what happened, we'd still be best friends? It wouldn't affect our friendship?"
He made a sound like a confused, lost, and injured puppy.
"We're breaking up?" he asked. I took a sharp breath. William's hurt face said everything.
"Doesn't it seem best?" I asked timidly. A single tear leaked out of his eye and rolled down his cheek. I instantly regretted everything I said. I was killing my best friend. I moved close to him and threw my arms around him, drying his eyes with my hoodie before hugging him tightly. He choked out,
"No,"he shuddered. His words slurred badly. "No Kel, its not best. Please. I love you so much--" He cut himself off with a series of violent coughs and what could have been sobs. I rubbed his back and squeezed my eyes shut. What was I doing to him??
"I love you too, shh... I'm not going anywhere. Please, don't-- I'm here."
"I'm so sorry," he spluttered. "I'm acting like a friggin' idiot, huh..." He pulled out of my arms, impatiently cleaning up his wet face with his sleeves. His eyes were red and tired.
"No, hun. You're not acting like an idiot."
"Look," he said, sniffling loudly and wiping his nose before grasping my shoulder and staring me in the eye. "I care about you, more than you'll ever--"
"I care about you too."
"More than you'll ever know!" he promised. I got the vague impression he had been drinking, somehow. "Do what you feel. You're right...our friendship won't change at all, Kel." I smiled gratefully.
"Thank you. Thank you, Mike. This means a--"
"Just kiss me one last time."
My face was blank.
"What?"
"Just...crap, I shouldn't have asked that, I..." he smacked his forehead with his palm. I heard him muttering about what a 'fucking idiot' he was. I softly called his name and placed my hand beneath his chin, turning him to face me.

I kissed him. He kissed back. Suddenly he gathered my wrists and put them between us, carefully pushing me away.
"What is it?" I asked. He wore a guilty expression.
"I'm experiencing other intense urges right about now," he confessed. We stared at each other for a couple seconds before we both burst with laughter. I slapped his shoulder and curled up on the floor, pointing the remote control at the DVD player.
"So..." he started, lying on the floor beside me. "We watchin' Star Wars, or what?"